Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Re: Fancy a laugh
« Reply #15 on: 18/03/2011 at 18:49 »
Although I do not agree with Menteith charging higher prices on a weekend it is a business at the end of the day with really quite high overheads - I wouldn't like to think about how much it costs to run as a commercial venture :shock
Mind you, has that higher rate at weekends not been the policy there since the year 'dot' :?

Perhaps a positive 'spin' would be to say the week days are actually discounted over the usual rate :wink

Jim - £15 for a medium glass of Chardonnay ??? :shock Holy crap, that must be some seriously good Chardonnay :z7

:z3

Have you been to Mal Maison Hamish its seriously overpriced and pretensious, I was on expenses but even than I was still embarassed to claim that back  :oops

:z18
Jim

Noel Kelly

« Reply #16 on: 18/03/2011 at 18:53 »
I wouldn't pay that to fish for stockies but each to their own and it's obviously deemed worth it by enough folk. Per hr its still cheap when compared to a lot of other activities. Anyone here done any driven shooting for example. Now that can quickly take care of your pay packet.    

Noel Kelly

« Reply #17 on: 18/03/2011 at 19:05 »
Have you been to Mal Maison Hamish its seriously overpriced and pretensious, I was on expenses but even than I was still embarassed to claim that back  :oops

Jim

Mmmm Malmaison. Good food and great suites. Had a memorable night there a while back  :wink

Barry Robertson

« Reply #18 on: 18/03/2011 at 20:25 »
Anybody feeling down ? then check out the coming season prices at the Lake of Mentieth  :z4 :z4 :z4 had me p#####g myself, wonder if the managment do kids parties.

I think the prices are fine for a water of that size and stature whether you class it as stockie bashing or not. To put it into context, for somewhere that regulary holds the national final of fly fishing in scotland at that price whether weekend or not would be good value for money!
St Andrews the home of golf compared to a normal golf course is far more pricier and yes they make it even more expensive at the weekend also!
For a days fishing on a large water with fuel, engine,net provided for the best part of £30 is a cheap in my opinion, look at the quality of fish in Menteith  :wink

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #19 on: 18/03/2011 at 22:41 »
If I compare these costs with some of my other passtimes , £15 for a medium glass of Chardonay, £27 for a days fishing seems cheap  :wink

A trip to glasgow to watch the fitba, well thats £100 plus and thats just for 90 minutes.

I for one think we get a bargain as far as fishing is concerned.

Jim    

And all you get for that £100 is pain Jim?  :z7 :z4

I dont think its too bad for two sharing a boat on what is meant to be one of Scotlands top venues.

« Reply #20 on: 19/03/2011 at 07:56 »
I agree that it would be more accurate to consider weekdays discounted.  My initial thoughts were that the priced seemed very high, but when someone listed the numbers it put them into perspective.

Just one thought I'd like to put out there, should a stocked fishery not charge more than a wild fishery as running costs are higher?  :z2

Noel Kelly

« Reply #21 on: 19/03/2011 at 10:30 »
Just one thought I'd like to put out there, should a stocked fishery not charge more than a wild fishery as running costs are higher?  :z2

Wild fisheries shouldn't be charging at all in my opinion especially with the state of the boats on some I have fished. When I first moved to Scotland the idea of paying for fishing was such an alien concept to me that it took about 2 years before I bought my first permit and fished for wild fish.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #22 on: 19/03/2011 at 13:11 »
it took about 2 years before I bought my first permit and fished for wild fish

And that original permit is still going strong
 :z7

Iain

Jim Eddie

« Reply #23 on: 19/03/2011 at 14:38 »
Mmmm Malmaison. Good food and great suites. Had a memorable night there a while back  :wink

Well ones man meat and all , I thought the place was a total rip off  :z4 :z4

Prime Cuts now the food there is to die for  :cool:

Jim

Matt Henderson

« Reply #24 on: 20/03/2011 at 09:21 »
Careful Noel you never know when the wife is reading over your shoulder!

Noel Kelly

« Reply #25 on: 20/03/2011 at 18:34 »
That's ok Matt she was there with me :z4

Barry Robertson

« Reply #26 on: 25/03/2011 at 00:19 »
Here's another laugh  :shock  :shock

http://www.butterstonelochfishings.co.uk/prices.php

Just noticed this  :shock :shock :shock

It is £8.50 more for a single angler on Butterstone than Menteith midweek!
 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4
I have already heard a few clubs have pulled there outings off of butterstone this year and with a price like that I bet alot of single anglers will be giving it a miss also!

Derek McLaren

« Reply #27 on: 25/03/2011 at 14:57 »
Just noticed this  :shock :shock :shock

It is £8.50 more for a single angler on Butterstone than Menteith midweek!
 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4
I have already heard a few clubs have pulled there outings off of butterstone this year and with a price like that I bet alot of single anglers will be giving it a miss also!

Good fish seemingly :z16 ,Rescobie seems to be the place to be to catch the big  :z15 .

Jim Eddie

« Reply #28 on: 25/03/2011 at 16:53 »
[quote ]
And all you get for that £100 is pain Jim?  :z7 :z4

[/quote]

not last sunday Paul  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z13

Barry Robertson

« Reply #29 on: 25/03/2011 at 17:33 »
Good fish seemingly :z16 ,Rescobie seems to be the place to be to catch the big  :z15 .

Very True Derek,
I just had a pall drop into the house on his way back from rescobie, said it fished well today £38 for a 2 man boat and allowed to keep 8 fish, good value for a chance to hook a good few monsters!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com