Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Andy Finlay

Which Dry Fly patterns to take to Assynt area
« on: 17/03/2011 at 13:28 »
Will be taking a trip to the west coast in mid may for a spot of hill loch brownie fishing round the Assynt area and was wondering which dry fly patterns I should be taking with me. I have plenty of wets (probably the wrong ones) but I'm not sure what I should be going with if there is a chance of a bit of dry fly action.

Allan Liddle

Re: Which Dry Fly patterns to take to Assynt area
« Reply #1 on: 17/03/2011 at 13:55 »
Easy choice here

Some wee black or black and red emergers size 14 (Liddle's Bibio, Black and White or Corrie Killer, i'll have to stick up the dressings on the site), but if you've any bob's Bits then close enough.
If you're stuck simply take a standard Bibio and trim the hackle below.  Fish static or as near static as you can.

Olives are also a must (DHE, Greenwells Para 12, 14), and some smaller Klinks 14, 16.

Bob Wyatt's Deer Hair Sedge in smaller sizes (12,14) also worth having, as well as some claret, black or fiery brown hoppers (again 12, 14).

A wee secret weapon is to take a standard Wickhams (yes you've guessed 12, 14) and gink up for bright days.  :wink

Hope this helps

Allan

Barry Robertson

« Reply #2 on: 17/03/2011 at 17:13 »
Some intresting info there, i must do some re search on a couple of those flies +
 :z18

Peter McCallum

« Reply #3 on: 17/03/2011 at 17:57 »
If you only have one take bob wyatts Deer Hair sedge. It will take fish static, pulled, dry & wet. My best day was 60+ on little Loch Awe & most were eagerly feeding on mayflies

Andy Finlay

« Reply #4 on: 17/03/2011 at 23:11 »
If you only have one take bob wyatts Deer Hair sedge. It will take fish static, pulled, dry & wet. My best day was 60+ on little Loch Awe & most were eagerly feeding on mayflies

Sorry for this next question but can I buy them from anywhere. I've a fly tying kit and just tied my first fly last night so not sure I'm up to making my own as yet to be honest.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #5 on: 18/03/2011 at 00:52 »
Sorry for this next question but can I buy them from anywhere. I've a fly tying kit and just tied my first fly last night so not sure I'm up to making my own as yet to be honest.

Pretty simple fly Andy , have a look at this link!
http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=13775.0

Irvine Ross

« Reply #6 on: 18/03/2011 at 08:19 »
Pretty simple fly Andy , have a look at this link!
http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=13775.0

Nice One Baz :z4

Your link goes straight through to the Fish Farmer web site :grin :grin :grin

At least it does on my computer.

Irvine

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 18/03/2011 at 08:38 »
Indeed, but an interesting link none the less Baz :wink

Some solid suggestions already been posted :z16
I like to throw a wee bit of a 'curve ball' and suggest that all you really need to carry is an assortment of coloured simple elk hair caddis, sedgehogs and a few klinkhammers. Sizes :? I'd personally plump for a selection based on 10,12 and 14's. Something in black, something in olive, something in orange and something in fluro green will do nicely. Save the klinks' for calm/near calm conditions and fish the rest with confidence in pretty much any other wind/ripple conditions and if you get bored.... well.... they'll also do nicely as 'pulling' flies :cool:
They're all easy enough to tie and you'll find plenty of hints and tips/guides online.
These patterns are also - handily enough - readily available commercially  :grin

H :z3

Peter McCallum

« Reply #8 on: 18/03/2011 at 09:43 »

PM me your address and I'll send you a couple as examples

Andy Finlay

« Reply #9 on: 18/03/2011 at 09:55 »
PM me your address and I'll send you a couple as examples

Thank you very much for the offer PM will be on its way.

Thanks for the other suggestions, I was there end of last year and did well with a black (i think) klinkhammer when it went flat calm, had about 6 fish one cast after another. Didnt last long though but fun at the time.

Andy Finlay

« Reply #10 on: 18/03/2011 at 10:03 »
Forgot to ask, where is the best place to buy the materials for fly tying, don't think my starter kit will have what I need but will double check, definately wont have the correct hooks.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #11 on: 18/03/2011 at 13:59 »
When fishing static dries flat calms my all time favourite (my all time fav fishing conditions as it happens) however don't be fooled into thinking this is the only time you can fish this style.

Light to moderate ripple all good stuff, but even in a Gale (good Highland drying breeze) static? (non-pulled, natural drift) dries can be deadly.
All the above excellent with this however be careful with the DHSedge as it can be heavily outscored if a specific pattern being targetted (Olives, or Midge best examples) when a more direct imitation called for.
As an all rounder the DHSedge is very good (you can simply substitute it for a shop bought Hog if you're stuck, which is another 'go-to' dry pattern for me, especially once the sedge makes it's full appearance) but not without it's limitations.

Failing the dries then short line two ginked bob flees (Hogs, Mini Muddler, Kate McL, Zulu etc) with an anchor pattern (Black Nymph, Silver Invicta, Connie Black etc) and aim for the margins.  Short line style can also be excellent when wading by the way, and isn't restricted as a floating style.

If fishing dries and it is windy, for a wee bit variation, try and punch upwind and let your flies run back naturally as you would on a river

Hope this helps and have a good trip

Allan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com