jock

loch fad
« on: 13/02/2007 at 19:21 »
just wondering if anybody has fished it and what its like all the best
jock

sightbob

loch fad
« Reply #1 on: 13/02/2007 at 21:27 »
loch fad used to be one of the best fisheries in scotland but has really went down hill in recent years due to water quality, best fished now early or late in the season as the algae is not so prolific when the water is cold.
still very well stocked with a good quality of fish which are reared on site in cages in the middle of the loch.
mainly fished from boats the loch is 175 acre but is only about 12ft deep at the dam end which is the most popular.
bait fishing is allowed from the bank from mar 15th but fly starts from mar 1st. a 10 fish ticket is about £16 plus boat and engine i think which is very, very cheap but then getting there is very expensive when you add in the cost of the ferry, still a good day out if you spit the costs with a couple of mates and the chippy and pubs are good.
hope this helps.
cheers
brian.

Kevin Moss

loch fad
« Reply #2 on: 13/02/2007 at 22:44 »
not been for a while but we used to take a trip there every year for the weekend.We always had a very good time.Not only is there rainbows but pike of a very good size and plenty of perch.There is another loch on the island which is brown trout only and they are good sport.It can get expensive when you take all your travel and accomadation but the people on the island are really good and friendly and its a safe place to go out at night.The night life is good if you know where to go and best to go around august sept or as Brian said march april time.water does get like pea soup through the summer but the fish still bite.The far end of the loch is also good later on it is shallow and has water coming in and plenty of pike hang about that end.If you want a biggie beside the house opposite cages is a good bit.We have always had a good time there some have had good catches some not but thats fishing.

gunner100

Loch Fad
« Reply #3 on: 13/02/2007 at 23:26 »
When I lived in Greenock Fad was one of my favourite fisheries. The cost was not too bad 'cos you could park up at the ferry terminal and the taxis from Rothesay pier were waiting for you and would pick you up for the return. Between 4, the taxi was not a problem. Not been for about 10 years now though.

The most productive drift/area all those years ago was from above the cages down towards the dam.

Lyall

Stuart Smith

loch fad
« Reply #4 on: 14/02/2007 at 05:36 »
havent fished it for a few years but i use to get the ferry then a taxi.

never caught many trout due to the vast numbers of perch.some were a good size

stuart

jock

loch fad
« Reply #5 on: 14/02/2007 at 10:21 »
thanks for the info guys,im really going for the pike but since im there for 2 days i may have a day at the trout to

Rob Brownfield

loch fad
« Reply #6 on: 14/02/2007 at 12:42 »
What are you like!!!!..lol..

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com