Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

This months FF&FT
« on: 13/02/2007 at 13:12 »
Not often i feel copelled to do this

But this month FF&FT is brilliant :z16

And not just because of the piece by Mr Wyatt, which reads more as good description of fishing any freestone river, than a specific place, and its great for it too.
But it has articles covering loads of great stuff, like march browns etc.
For anyone considering going near the river this year i reccomend reading it.

Also loved the back pedalling by Mr Jardine, Seems after years of championing fast action rods , he has seen the light and found solace in the fact that slower actions still generate the high line speeds he wants, but do it with far less effort.
Guess some of us aren't so daft after all eh Mr Barrio :z14

:lol:

On the whole great Magazine, a must read for the coming season, loads of good ideas.

Sandy

Mike Barrio

This months FF&FT
« Reply #1 on: 13/02/2007 at 21:36 »
I'm finding it interesting to read just how many "top" anglers use a double taper fly line when fishing Sandy  :wink:

I had begun to think I was some kind of DT Nutter  :z6

Best wishes
Mike

Stuart Smith

This months FF&FT
« Reply #2 on: 14/02/2007 at 05:38 »
thats right sandy.theres something else i miss from home.will have to get some one to get it for me

stuart

Peter McCallum

This months FF&FT
« Reply #3 on: 14/02/2007 at 22:28 »
I'll save my copy for when you get back Stuart.

Peter

Iain Cameron

Re: This months FF&FT
« Reply #4 on: 15/02/2007 at 09:16 »
Quote from: "spiderman"

But this month FF&FT is brilliant :z16

Also loved the back pedalling by Mr Jardine, Seems after years of championing fast action rods , he has seen the light and found solace in the fact that slower actions still generate the high line speeds he wants, but do it with far less effort.
Sandy

this article struck a chord with me -- i bought two new rods for travelling recently -- a Bloke XL-50, 9ft, 4-piece, 4-wt, and a March Brown HW 9ft, 7-piece, 5wt. The Bloke is slow actioned and soft and I love the way it fishes; the March Brown is stiffer, and i've struggled with it -- a couple of outings i stopped, packed it away, and hiked back to the car to get the Bloke rod out.  

Having bought the two at the same time, i was able to assess them side by side -- initially i felt it was my fault that I find it hard to cast well with the March Brown; then realised that it just didn't suit my way of casting, nor the situations in which i fished.

When on the river, the Bloke is lovely for short upstream work, really a pleasure for working a short line. And then, when on lochs, I found that I could also cast further with the 4wt Bloke than the 5wt March Brown, because it was an easier rod for me to flex -- this is something that CJ alluded to in his article too. If it works for you, then it works!

cheers
iain,

ps, look back at the last year or so editions of FF&FT -- look at Charles Jardine's fly of the month --- scrunch your eyes up so you cannot see the detail -- is it just me, or is it more or less the same kind of nymph he discusses each time!!! General Impression of Size & Shape...

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com