Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: Anything rising?
« Reply #15 on: 22/03/2011 at 23:11 »
Surface activity on the loch is increasing steadily this week and there were some good rises today. Haven't seen any olives yet, but I'm seeing some Alders and quite large midge.

Cheers
Mike

Allan Liddle

« Reply #16 on: 23/03/2011 at 08:22 »
That's good to hear Mike.  Buzzers usually amongst the first to produce a response from the troots and some spectacular (and in the right conditions prolongued) rises can follow.  Time to think seriously about dusting off the rods.

Anything on running water?

John Reid

« Reply #17 on: 23/03/2011 at 11:31 »
There were fish rising on the Avon on Saturday and I heard of someone catching them on sparkle duns!  :z16

Peter McCallum

« Reply #18 on: 23/03/2011 at 12:25 »
There were fish rising on the Avon on Saturday and I heard of someone catching them on sparkle duns!  :z16

Ah missing the old streams

ryan

« Reply #19 on: 23/03/2011 at 12:59 »
going to hado tomorrow think al give buzzers a try seen a few midges around the garden thin migh be gettin better hopefully the fish will be on the surface

Richard Tong

« Reply #20 on: 23/03/2011 at 20:48 »
Ben have you got a thermometer?? That's something you Salmon boys( :z4) usually carry isn't it? I'm just thinking of all the snow you've had up there (see Lecht are saying all runs are still open) it's gettign in Don and may lower water temp enough to put off the hatches. Would be interested to see what it is at the moment and if you are by the river and see a hatch you could take temp then too  :z18 Cheers;will get you a beer when we're up!

Richard

Irvine Ross

« Reply #21 on: 24/03/2011 at 08:33 »
Richard

I can't give you exact figures as I have not been on the river yet but we have had double figure air temperatures for the last two days. The peak of the snow melt went down the river on Tuesday and levels are dropping back. There is very little snow left now below 500m altitude in this part of Deeside, unlike last year. If the weather stays like this I would expect water temperatures to be on the rise.

cheers
Irvine

Richard Tong

« Reply #22 on: 24/03/2011 at 13:51 »
Thanks Irvine...sounds good. Hope to hear of some surface activity soon then!!

Richard

Martin Webster

« Reply #23 on: 24/03/2011 at 15:19 »
Was out walking Kemnay Adaa beat today and at 1.15pm a hatch of March Browns started, good numbers of them and lasted 15mins, no surface activity from the trout however but still good to see.

macleodsat11

« Reply #24 on: 24/03/2011 at 15:19 »
off topic from this thread but rather than start a new one i thought id ask here - im off to carnoustie with work next week and might have a few hours spare in the evenings, any recommendations for some  :z15 eries down that way?

any local knowledge would be appreciated. Thanks in anticipation of your replies  :z15

Jim Eddie

« Reply #25 on: 24/03/2011 at 17:23 »
Kingennie is just up the road, I'ts a good few years since I fished there . Baz is the boy for local knowledge

:z18

Jim

Allan Liddle

« Reply #26 on: 26/03/2011 at 22:03 »
Back to the topic in hand (a hazel nut in every bite  :z4) and in answer to the question anything risin?  Yup olives on the go today (on a wee river near here) and troots respondin.  Sadly it was late afternoon before i got over there and the fecking rain showers were very very heavy which killed the sport very quickly, however managed one wee fish (pic to follow soon).

Glad to be off the mark and roll on next week as i've a couple of days off.

Here's hoping it all stays settled and the flies (and troots) respond in earnest.  Canne wait.

Allan

Ben Dixon

« Reply #27 on: 26/03/2011 at 23:08 »
Ben have you got a thermometer?? That's something you Salmon boys( :z4) usually carry isn't it? I'm just thinking of all the snow you've had up there (see Lecht are saying all runs are still open) it's gettign in Don and may lower water temp enough to put off the hatches. Would be interested to see what it is at the moment and if you are by the river and see a hatch you could take temp then too  :z18 Cheers;will get you a beer when we're up!

Richard

Hi Richard,

Just back from  a trip up north so just picked this up.  Will be out tomorrow so will get a temp reading for you.  Came back over the Lecht today and not a lot of snow, far less than a week ago.

Cheers

Ben

Allan Liddle

« Reply #28 on: 12/04/2011 at 17:54 »
Must be something happening on the bigger water by now?  :z8

Fish rising steadily on some smaller waters with decent hatches o LDO's and a fair smattering of MB's.

Allan

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #29 on: 12/04/2011 at 23:09 »
Hatches on the Spey over the last few days, mainly LDO's, March Browns and stoneflies. The rises havent lasted long, caught a couple yesterday.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com