Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

Re: River Don 2011
« Reply #195 on: 09/06/2011 at 07:28 »
Got him!!! :grin 
Weighed at just under 4 3/4 lbs :grin
Poor photo sorry but adrenaline was pumping.
Taken on a cdc&elk  :z18

Fantastic fish Noel, Well done  :z18

Out of interest did he still have the leader that he snapped from you the other week?

Iain Cameron

« Reply #196 on: 09/06/2011 at 08:06 »
Got him!!! :grin 

awesome - good work man!

Michael Buchan

« Reply #197 on: 09/06/2011 at 09:04 »
Stunning fish Noel Well done   :z14

I had an emotional night on the river last night also. Spotted a big fish taking sedges downstream of where i was fishing so started to work my way down into casting position.  Made a downstream cast to him and up he came on the 2nd drift to a elk hair caddis.  Thought i had cracked it a new PB brown so next 5mins were spent crapping myself. Well when i landed he he turned out to be a 4.5lb seatrout.  Must admit although it was a stunning fish was gutted it wasnt a brown  :cry

Camera lense never opened either so photos are rubbish.

Michael

Allan Liddle

« Reply #198 on: 09/06/2011 at 09:12 »
Couple of proper 'Rod Benders' there and finally we're seeing a few of the better browns.  Cracking seatroot as well (was once told seatroot don't take dries about 20 mins after i'd landed a 3 1/2 pounder off the Deveron on a DHE  :z4)

Best running water fish for me so far this year has been a mere 2lb 4oz (last Monday with a 2lb 2oz taken just before on a middle section of the Deveron in very very low water)

So after seeing Noel's fish i'll have to take the advice from my old school report cards 'Must try harder'  :z4

Well done Noel, you certainly put the work in for that one.  Any sign of the previous hooking?

Noel Kelly

« Reply #199 on: 09/06/2011 at 10:10 »
Cheers guys. Checked it carefully and no sign. Good to know they can shake out de-barbed hooks. There is another slight possibility, maybe it's not the same fish...

Noel Kelly

« Reply #200 on: 09/06/2011 at 10:13 »
Lovely fish Michael and as I said last night I would swop you. Been after a sea trout like that for a few years now.

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #201 on: 09/06/2011 at 10:41 »
Congrats Noel & Mike - magnificant fish.  :z16

They both make my 1st Don Brownie caught last Saturday look like bait...!  However, you've now inspred me to try again.  :z14

Your heart rate must have been borderline coronary Noel!

Ewan

Matt Henderson

« Reply #202 on: 09/06/2011 at 11:07 »
Noel wasn't implying you'd damaged it was just curious. 

You'll need to try again to make sure it's the same fish!

Jim Eddie

« Reply #203 on: 09/06/2011 at 19:28 »
Michael

Well done anyone would be over the moon to catch such a bonnie Sea Troot  :z16

:z18

Jim

Ben Dixon

« Reply #204 on: 09/06/2011 at 20:45 »
Noel,

Just saw your picture, cracking fish and well deserved.  Who took the picture for you? 

Cheers

Ben

Richard Tong

« Reply #205 on: 09/06/2011 at 22:57 »
Noel,

Superb fish...well done, a real stoater,definitely deserved. I have an appointment with a similar fish though missed him twice on the same night recently...wish the river was on my doorstep like the Don is for you though. As a matter of interest did you measure it at all?

Richard

Noel Kelly

« Reply #206 on: 10/06/2011 at 00:06 »
Just back from the river. It's doesn't seem to be up much but it's taken on quiet a bit of colour. The trout were going bonkers!! There were some small olives on the water and took my first fish on a paradun, it was 1.25 lbs. The next pool there were several lb+ fish feeding hard. 1 eventually took the paradun but I cleverly whipped it out if his mouth. Wasn't having much joy so had a look about and noticed a few sedges. Went through a few different sedge patterns and had 2 more 1.25 and 1.5 lb. By far the majority were ignoring my offerings though. A huge brownie head and tailed 20 yards up the pool. Saw it clearly and would think it was 6 or 7 lbs easily... It did rise to one of my offerings but didn't take. Couldn't resist going back to see if last nights fish was showing and I was delighted to see that he was back on station rising freely :grin

Hi Richard I took note against the rod so will let you know tomorrow.
Ben you have lost me ??? I will assume you are taking the piss :z7

Anyone care to recommend a pattern for when they are hitting sedge? Can't seem to get much consistency with cdc& elk, balloon caddis or emerger patterns.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #207 on: 10/06/2011 at 00:17 »
i tied a sedge that looks like a tiny sedgehog using snowshoe rabbit instead of deer Noel. if I can find them I'll post you a couple.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #208 on: 10/06/2011 at 00:18 »

Ben you have lost me ??? I will assume you are taking the piss :z7

Anyone care to recommend a pattern for when they are hitting sedge? Can't seem to get much consistency with cdc& elk, balloon caddis or emerger patterns.

Noel,

That's not a bad pic hence my presumption that you were not the photographer, you are usually the only guy I can rely on to make my pics look consistently good, you've let me down  :z4

Walked a stretch of the river from about 5 - 7:30pm, there was a lot of fish moving but I was not able to fish  :cry

Cheers

Ben

Noel Kelly

« Reply #209 on: 10/06/2011 at 07:18 »
OI!!! Dixon' what an insult, at least I actually get the fish in my picture's. Unlike you with your "interesting" pics of out of focus bankside foliage. Also wasnt there a photography competition on this forum at christmas time ran by Jedi in case your memory is fading. Who won that again?? Ben dick-less? no dont think so, oh wait a minute let me think...it was me. So fek off :z7

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com