Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Liam Stephen

Re: River Don 2011
« Reply #120 on: 18/05/2011 at 21:39 »
Out fishing in kintore pretty much all day in terrible conditions. Didn't land anything had lots of misses and lost a tiny trout on my last cast of the day. Plenty of small olives and wee hawthorns on the water today, also saw a fair amount of what looked like yellow mayflies? (Any idea). Pretty good chuffed as a got my first glimpse of my first big brownie of around 4lbs, which went airbourne. Anyone on the kintore strech tonight with any luck?   

Noel Kelly

« Reply #121 on: 18/05/2011 at 21:59 »
Hi YOUNGUN they are yellow mays or a lot of folk call them yellow sally's very pretty and eye catching. The badger and yellow has been suggested to me as a good imitation but I have never actually tried one myself. Were you fishing Kintore last night?
Ben,
No, it was late and they were off home, on foot. An ould boy who couldn't walk very well and a teenager. They walked towards the village. Have never seen them before. Next time I will just phone Martin.
I guess you are talking about a spinners fall, I was hoping for the same...

Liam Stephen

« Reply #122 on: 18/05/2011 at 22:27 »
Never seen flies like those before very interesting the trout seemed to go crazy for them. Will be sure to add some badger and yellow to my fly box. I was fishing kintore last night till about 9 o'clock.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #123 on: 18/05/2011 at 23:51 »
Never seen flies like those before very interesting the trout seemed to go crazy for them. Will be sure to add some badger and yellow to my fly box. I was fishing kintore last night till about 9 o'clock.

What sort of time did you see trout moving yesterday? 

I went out tonight for an hour, there was the odd fish moving.  ALthough the wind had eased, it was chilly and still a bit blowy.  No fly life I could see.

CHeers

Ben

Liam Stephen

« Reply #124 on: 19/05/2011 at 09:20 »
There was a hatch of some sort around 11.30 which seemed to get the fish going for a while. Then it all went a bit quite till around 4ish when they started rising again. A bit sparse but hopefully answers your question.

farrochie

« Reply #125 on: 19/05/2011 at 13:50 »
I found a rod bag yesterday on the Inverurie beat by the SEPA monitoring station. If the owner can let me know, I can arrange to return it.

Richard Tong

« Reply #126 on: 19/05/2011 at 17:54 »
RE:Yellow upwings seen;they may be Yellow Evening Duns (3 tails) or Yellow May Duns (2 tails and blue eyes). Would be interested to know which they are-perhaps you are seeing both!

Richard

Ben Dixon

« Reply #127 on: 19/05/2011 at 23:22 »
Definitely Yellow Mays on the go, I have seen them.  Micro Caddis are on about too but conditions have not been right for evening (or any) fishing this past few days.

Cheers

Ben

Noel Kelly

« Reply #128 on: 20/05/2011 at 07:33 »
There was a small window last night where conditions were perfect. Wind dropped, temps rose a degree or 2 and at last I was in the right place! There was a spinner fall for a out 20 mins and a sedge hatch at the same time. The pool I was on came to life and they were happy to take a skated dry or one drifting with the current. Had about half a dozen in quick succession including one just under 2lbs  :grin Good to finally get a good bend in the rod. Will stick up a poor pic later. Also saw another decent fish rise but I must have spooked it.

Poor pic added as promised

Richard Tong

« Reply #129 on: 20/05/2011 at 08:13 »
Ben

I suspect that the microcaddis are the same as we have seen this time every year and suspected microcaddis-small dark grey sedge. We got samples and sent them to Stuart Crofts and they are too large for microcaddis;tehy are in fact Agapetus and there is a good article in June '08 FF & FT from Stuart with a pattern for fishing the evening hatch of these. It is on a size 20 so should be fun for those big trout that you boys get up there. Would be interested to know of any success you have with this. I have some tied up but have not had the opportunity to use them yet,

Richard

Ben Dixon

« Reply #130 on: 20/05/2011 at 12:03 »
Hi Richard,

The are A. Fuscipes so no, they are not true micro caddis, I am fairly confident that I have the ident. correct on these.  I have had exceptional sport on them but conditions have to be right, not sure the pattern is of huge importantance so long as it is small enough and not a spinner pattern.  I've done very well with tiny Kilnks and elk hair caddis type patterns tied short on bigger hooks than a 20, hook up rate is better that way for me.

I'd be interested in a pic of what you caught and some info about where you caught it, there are defintely smaller caddis than these emerging at this time of the year too and for the sake of interest I would like to know what they are.  Smaller than the above and paler in colour, also only 3 - 4mm long.  Several species of hydroptila occur in the UK and I'm convinced these smaller flies are of that species.

Cheers

Ben

Ben

I suspect that the microcaddis are the same as we have seen this time every year and suspected microcaddis-small dark grey sedge. We got samples and sent them to Stuart Crofts and they are too large for microcaddis;tehy are in fact Agapetus and there is a good article in June '08 FF & FT from Stuart with a pattern for fishing the evening hatch of these. It is on a size 20 so should be fun for those big trout that you boys get up there. Would be interested to know of any success you have with this. I have some tied up but have not had the opportunity to use them yet,

Richard

Iain Goolager

« Reply #131 on: 20/05/2011 at 12:13 »
What about the ones that are 4-5mm long with black (or at least dark) wings? These were in abundance earlier in the week on the lower Don.

I have one in a jar still to be photographed, so I'll post it if it doesn't decide to b****r off like most of the Sedges I've tried to portrait.  :mad

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #132 on: 20/05/2011 at 15:53 »
What about the ones that are 4-5mm long with black (or at least dark) wings? These were in abundance earlier in the week on the lower Don.

Agapetus Fuscipes probably Iain (also known as the cream do-finger ya' fat bas78%d caddis), these are what I am hoping to catch a hatch of in the very near future.  Did you get any sport on them when you saw them on the lower river?

Cheers

Porky

Iain Goolager

« Reply #133 on: 20/05/2011 at 17:46 »
Sorry for the poor pictures, studio conditions with a corpse for a subject but still can't get artificial light to work for me.

I didn't have owt with me that small but there were plenty olives to imitate badly. The way things are looking, by the time I tie some up and get out again it'll be all over bar the shouting.

Health Kick Boy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #134 on: 20/05/2011 at 17:50 »
Oh! In life these critters have their wings in the 'roof wing' position at rest and they appear quite black.

Iain

Sorry Noel, well done on the 2lb trout.  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com