Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ewan Lindsay

Re: River Don 2011
« Reply #105 on: 09/05/2011 at 07:00 »
Hi BAz,

About this Veniard CDC oil then...?  Do you rub it into the CDC feather itself?  I was always told that the CDC feather should be kept dry?  Anything that helps having to stop every few casts to bouffant the fly is good in my book...

Ewan

Barry Robertson

« Reply #106 on: 09/05/2011 at 18:50 »
Hi BAz,

About this Veniard CDC oil then...?  Do you rub it into the CDC feather itself?  I was always told that the CDC feather should be kept dry?  Anything that helps having to stop every few casts to bouffant the fly is good in my book...

Ewan

Its pretty simple stuff Ewan,
Rub it onto the cdc feathers either once the fly is tied or say 10 mins prior to use, i have even re applied after a few fish then given it a good 10 false casts and it also getts the cdc back to great bouyancy!
It doesnt clog the feathers up and makes the cdc work far beyond what it should, you can basically pull the cdc under the surface and it pops back up through the film straight away!  :z18

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #107 on: 09/05/2011 at 19:02 »
Cheers Baz,

Sounds like the stuff for me.  I'm off to buy some now!  :grin

Ewan

sanders

« Reply #108 on: 09/05/2011 at 21:41 »
hi guys,,been a member on the site for a while but never really posted,,anyway got permission to fish on the woodsons bit of water think its upper parkhill "maybe someone could confirm that"??...fished fri night had 7 small brownies 1lb/2lb,,great sport,,so took the wife with me on sat night now for the embarrasing bit shed 4 brownies id the big zero,,,mega dent to the ego!!! seen a few nice fish rising on sat night just didn seem to take thou,,tried a cascade/allys shrimp,,maybe someone could advise me again here what the best flys for the don,,oh the trouts was all taken on a butchers,,so this morning i had to take my brother in law to the airport at 6.30 so decided to have a go see if that salmon was still kicking about,,water had risen considerably since sat and was a fearsome weed ect coming downriver so knocked it on the head after an hour or so and headed to the deveron (forglen beat) water was up 6 inch water clearish never got a touch and never seen anything,,anyway just thought id let yous know,,, great river and great bit of water ive got access too now maybe see some of yous next time im out,,regards,sandy

Matt Henderson

« Reply #109 on: 10/05/2011 at 17:18 »
Went for a run at lunchtime.  The Don was clearing up nicely. 

Richard Tong

« Reply #110 on: 11/05/2011 at 21:57 »
Anyone been out on Don/Deveron since the fresh water went in? Looks like it has dropped back to a low level again (not surprising given how dry the ground must be) but wondered if some life has been kick-started into the hatches/falls and therefore into Mr Trout himself!

Richard

Ben Dixon

« Reply #111 on: 11/05/2011 at 22:48 »
Hi Richard,

Yup.

Out today, somewhere between 20 &30 trout between 1/2 & 1lb.  All taken on black gnats, were so thick you could barely see the water in the spots with some shelter from the wind.  Spooked a lump walking down the bank, and *$%Łed up a shot at serious fish that was up regular, slapped the fly down right on its bonce and it didn't show again, so pissed I'm considering self harm to teach myself a lesson  :mad.  Done some serious wading today, most of the fish were caught in an "unfishable" pool, trees all up the bank and unwadabley deep.  Water was lapping at the Orvis logo on my waders  :z4

Saw a couple of proper lumps up regular but simply could not get to them from the bank I was fishing, first time this year I have personally seen big fish on regular feed.

A lot of Grannom about today, no fish moving to them, very few upwings, saw single figures of OU's and nothing else.  I removed the occasional large stonefly from inside my collar so they are still about and there was also a few aphids kicking around.

Cheers

Ben

Iain Cameron

« Reply #112 on: 13/05/2011 at 07:15 »
folks

Lower river (cruives & netherdon) was still a bit coloured last night, with very little showing at the surface while I was out... however, I did hook & release a 3-4lb grilse on a wee stoat...  completing a 2011 trio of Don salmon, sea-trout & browns.

aye, ok, it was a grilse, and the sea-trout were kelts, and the browns were a mix of stocked fish and small wildies to 3/4lb.... so it's not a world-recording breaking catch but apart from the stocked browns, all of these came from the stretch right outside my house, which makes it all the sweeter! Mr Goolager, you're missing out!!!

iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #113 on: 13/05/2011 at 20:29 »
Nice one Ben & Iain  :z16

Finally got a couple of hours on the river this afternoon.

Four seasons in one day again. Wind, Rain, Hail, Bright, Hot & Overcast!

Fish (and flies) on show in the warmer interludes and although there weren't many it was amazing watching the birds picking off the colourful Yella Sallies.

So had to give it a go....

Managed a few stockies,

and a couple of these fellas which, when hooked I thought were Salmon Smolts but I'd say Sea-Trout. Maxila extending behing eye, clumsy rounded (forked) tail, tinge of orange on adipose (not clear at all in this photo)? It had that destinctive smell that you used to get from Finnock....can't describe it I'm afraid.

Saw, or more accurately turned my head as something exploded downstream in a deep slack pool, the silhouette of a 6" - 7" fish could be seen airborne trying to escape whatever it was. More than likely a resident biggy.....smolting?

something nice for the ladies.

Iain

Noel Kelly

« Reply #114 on: 13/05/2011 at 21:06 »
Very nice Iain and I enjoy the last photo as well despite being a testosterone volcano. Haven't been out all week and keep thinking I am missing out on monster fish...
Will give it a good lash tomorrow.   

Matt Henderson

« Reply #115 on: 14/05/2011 at 09:22 »
Nice pictures Irene.  Nice wee trout too.  :z16  Shame about the flowers.   :oops

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #116 on: 15/05/2011 at 21:37 »
Nice pics Iain but someones put a daft flower in the way of a nice snap of the reel :z8 :z7

Glad someone is gettin out fishing!! :z6

Tight lines
Paul

farrochie

« Reply #117 on: 18/05/2011 at 18:50 »
Inverurie beat. A very blustery day today making normal casting almost impossible.  Water was quite low and very clear. A lot of seeds and other plant debris were floating on the surface. Plenty of flies around going by the activity of the gulls and house martins, but not a fish to be seen; I started at 12:30 and gave up around 16:30 with not even a single take.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #118 on: 18/05/2011 at 20:04 »
Was out for a few hours last night. Evidence of an earlier hatch of olives tangled up in some spider webs and it must have been a good hatch going by the amount of them. Fish very finicky again and hard to hook.All small.
Just as the sun went down there were a lot of sedges skittering around on the surface. Laying eggs I presume?
A twitched klink got a few responses but again small fish. I didn't see a sign of any of the larger residents...

However I did see 2 guys sitting by a pool with spinning rods in hand. Bait fishing I guess. On my approach they decided to exit stage left but not before I had a wee go. :z4 No bloodshed involved this time...
These feckers do my head in.  
 :z18
Noel.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #119 on: 18/05/2011 at 20:43 »

However I did see 2 guys sitting by a pool with spinning rods in hand. Bait fishing I guess. On my approach they decided to exit stage left but not before I had a wee go. :z4 No bloodshed involved this time...
These feckers do my head in.  
 :z18
Noel.

Good stuff Noel, I was going to head out last night but the wind got up a bit much, wind speed like that kills what I was looking for dead.

Did you let the bailiffs know and or get a car reg? 

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com