Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

DJG1984

Re: River Don 2011
« Reply #15 on: 30/03/2011 at 00:31 »
No fresh fish this morning but got a kelt so was sort of worth getting up at 5AM.  River is in perfect nick, if I was off today, I'd be fishing, reckon anyone out today is in with a good shout.  Saw a fresh fish show and covered it a few times but got no response.

Will try to make it out again tomorrow  :grin

Ben

How is the fishing at that time of day in general? Early morning fishing would be an option for my work shift pattern.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hamish Young

« Reply #16 on: 30/03/2011 at 08:56 »
As we progress into the warmer months, the earlier you're out the better IMHO  :z16

:z3

Ben Dixon

« Reply #17 on: 30/03/2011 at 12:21 »
How is the fishing at that time of day in general? Early morning fishing would be an option for my work shift pattern.

Cheers,

Dave.

For salmon, I don't think it matters too much as long as the morning is not freakishly cold. 

Also nice to know you are the first through a pool, instills a bit of confidence for me.

Cheers

Ben

DJG1984

« Reply #18 on: 30/03/2011 at 15:52 »
Ordered my permit for the Inverurie beat online today, should be here in time for me to get out fishing on Monday :cool:

Noel Kelly

« Reply #19 on: 01/04/2011 at 08:41 »
At last it's the start of the trout season. Anybody going out today? I will be buying my season ticket tomorrow morning and on the river for 10.30. Hopefully will have some activity to report. Best of luck to all that fish the don, hope it's a good season for us all.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #20 on: 01/04/2011 at 10:47 »
At last it's the start of the trout season. Anybody going out today? ...

good luck to you tomorrow noel.

today, it's cold and wet and very windy (18-20mph?!) but i'll nip across the road and wet a line on the lower Don, just because it's opening day. Possible futile and hopeless... but what the heck... Been salmon fishing all week with no luck, so i'll probably hook one today on the trout rod...  tied up a few buggy nymphs this morning, so will give them a swim

there were some hatches on the river last week when milder, but I doubt there'll be much activity today. ah well!

Matt Henderson

« Reply #21 on: 01/04/2011 at 16:25 »
I was planning to make my first trip to the Don this year but decided it was too cold and windy. Must learn to man up! Any joy Ian?

Hamish Young

« Reply #22 on: 01/04/2011 at 17:30 »
I was planning to make my first trip to the Don this year but decided it was too cold and windy. Must learn to man up!

Wimp  ::)
:wink

Noel Kelly

« Reply #23 on: 01/04/2011 at 20:42 »
Agree with Hamish Matt!! :z4 Anything to report Iain?

I should have known better than to post about fishing w end plans early on a friday... Press ganged into working tomorrow and sunday :cry
I will still make the river tomorrow just a few hours later than planned  :z19

Have spent the last few hrs sorting waistcoat. Fully loaded now with all the hangy off bits, 3 river boxes and fly lines. Oooh that reminds me must dig out the coffee flask!

Mr goolager stay the feck away from "my" pool tomorrow at least until I get there :z4 

Iain Goolager

« Reply #24 on: 01/04/2011 at 22:08 »
Matt, I'm with you at this moment in time (not in the biblical sense) but I'm at the outlaws listening to the howling wind and looking at the rain thats forecast. You wait so long for the new trout season & then this.
As I'm doon the road I had a tenkara outing planned for the Westie tomorrow but I don't even have the drive to get my lines and flies sorted out - hey ho we'll wait and see what tomorrow brings.

Noel  - It's only your pool in your mind & to be honest if the dresscode for 'your' pool is a Benny from Crossroads tammy and a manbag then you're welcome to it :shock........................I'll show you how to fish it later in the season :z7  only jokin' good luck trigger.

Hi Iain, anything going today?

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #25 on: 01/04/2011 at 22:59 »

Noel  - It's only your pool in your mind & to be honest if the dresscode for 'your' pool is a Benny from Crossroads tammy and a manbag then you're welcome to it :shock........................I'll show you how to fish it later in the season :z7  only jokin' good luck trigger.

Hi Iain, anything going today?

Iain

Says the dude in the chav jacket with the skateboarders back pack   :z7

Iain Cameron

« Reply #26 on: 02/04/2011 at 08:46 »
managed 90 mins on lower Don friday - left at 1pm as had to be elsewhere. Wasn't as cold and grim, was some sunshine even.

lots of March Browns (i guess) hatching; at the smooth tail of the pool, there were lots of them visibly drifting either on top, or drowned. But not a single rise. I guess still a bit too early for that part of the river.

A hand-ful of small stonefly or needle fly (?) in evidence too - first time this year that i've been bombarded with  insects while on the water. encouraging signs.

Oh aye, nae fish of course... but was great to get the light rod out on the river.

Matt Henderson

« Reply #27 on: 02/04/2011 at 10:10 »
Says the dude in the chav jacket with the skateboarders back pack   :z7

An interesting point to note is that I saw Iain's chav jacket for less than half price the other day.......  I wonder why they were struggling to sell them...

DJG1984

« Reply #28 on: 02/04/2011 at 15:20 »
Ordered my permit for the Inverurie beat online today, should be here in time for me to get out fishing on Monday :cool:

Permit still hasn't been delivered yet, hopefully it'll arrive on Monday.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #29 on: 02/04/2011 at 18:06 »
Got to the river at 1 today. It had just cleared up about an hour before and was looking like a nice day. First thing I noticed was flocks of gulls working a pool which could only mean one thing that a hatch was in progress. Cursing my late arrival I got tackled up as quick as I could and headed to the water.
Just as I approached the river side I saw a big splash right where I caught my biggest brownie a few years ago so I dropped to the ground to see what was on the water and if would it rise again.
Couldn't see any up-wings but plenty of midge.
The fish rose again and it wasn't a trout, well not a brownie anyway. Another similar fish rose seconds later right at my feet.
Dont know what they were, bright silver and 2/3 lbs weight? 
They looked like they were travelling and I saw no more of them.

Headed up river looked for signs of fly life and rising fish.
Seen a single spinner in the shade of a tree and finally a single BWO.
Heard a trout rise but didn't see that one so after a short wait I moved on.
The gulls had long since departed the scene btw.

After walking a bit further I spotted a rise, covered it and it took the fly straight away. I struck two soon and pricked it but covered the same spot again and it took:grin no mistake this time and after a right acrobatic display netted a lovely brown of about a lb.

And that was basically it. Lovely day and I was seeing the occasional BWO so I was hoping against my best judgement of another hatch. It wasn't to be. I walked the whole beat, seen 2 more fish rise in places I couldn't reach and that was that.

Met a salmon angler who claimed he had 5 springers up to 12 lbs and a 5lb liced sea trout last week. He also spoke of signal crayfish, pike and grayling that he has seen in the don. He hasn't seen any grayling since the 70's though.  :z8

Great to be back on the river and that the fish are looking up already. Its gonna be a good start to the season I reckon.  :grin :z18       

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com