Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Re: River Don 2011
« Reply #60 on: 16/04/2011 at 21:23 »
Ah well Dave, no problems. :z16

Spent a wee while today trying to catch & photograph what was going about but I need a bigger net, a better camera (preferably waterproof) and some rohypnol to keep the buggers still.  Fair few Hawthorns about but they went north as soon as I tried to net them.

Turned over one stone last week and these two big 'uns tried to make a fast getaway

A fair mouthfull - any thoughts on the Hepta? MB?

Iain

Andy Finlay

« Reply #61 on: 17/04/2011 at 05:47 »
Thanks Mike 'mushy pea' must be a lucky colour.  :z16

Dave, are you the guy from Inverness that I spoke to today (and have spoken to at Inverurie a fair few times last season)?

Iain

Iain,

That would be me you were chatting to again, good to see you had a few more later in the day.

Andy

Liam Stephen

« Reply #62 on: 17/04/2011 at 17:42 »
Could anyone list a few trout flies that are proving effective?
Thanks

Ben Dixon

« Reply #63 on: 17/04/2011 at 17:58 »
LDO's & MB's on the water today, fish moved for only about 30 mins from about 12:30.  Not a big hatch, sparse but there were a few fish nailing duns.

CHeers

Ben

DJG1984

« Reply #64 on: 18/04/2011 at 21:03 »
I was out on the Don at Inverurie today, caught a couple of small trout, didn't really get a decent hatch today. Took a couple of pictures of this wee beastie though.

Dave.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #65 on: 18/04/2011 at 22:01 »
Out today again.....

On the water by 10:30 managed a few fish on nymphs & spiders.

Switched to dries about 11:45 in anticipation of a hatch which didn't really happen.  Only a handful of MB's on the water and a few more LDO's, very few fish moving and nothing of any decent size.  Had a couple on an olive klink but rises were infrequent as would be expected with the lack of fly.

Very bright all day and the breeze got up about 14:30 which killed everything so I switched to wooly buggers and had a few more including a trout almost the same size as the fly..  Fairly disappointing day after a good hatch yesterday.

Not a write off though, with the bright sun & low clear water I could see every stone on the bottom from the bank and saw quite a few fish including some nice trout just milling about in the pools, spent more time just watching the water and trout going about their (non feeding) business than fishing which was just as good.

CHeers

Ben

DJG1984

« Reply #66 on: 19/04/2011 at 16:54 »
I was out on the Don at Inverurie today between 11 and 4, caught 23 :grin wee trooties the day, the one decent sized fish i caught got away (typical)  :z10. There were plenty troot rising between 11:30 and 1ish after that it went quiet.

Photo of the day- Mr. G. Heron showing me how its done.

Dave.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #67 on: 19/04/2011 at 18:23 »
Good to hear that fish were being caught today. I was fishing kintore at around the same times and nothing. Plenty of fish rising and on the odd occasion one took my fly I couldn't set the hook on time :(.

farrochie

« Reply #68 on: 19/04/2011 at 20:13 »
I was out on the Don at Inverurie today between 11 and 4, caught 23 :grin wee trooties the day, the one decent sized fish i caught got away (typical)  :z10. There were plenty troot rising between 11:30 and 1ish after that it went quiet.

Photo of the day- Mr. G. Heron showing me how its done.

Dave.

Hi Dave,
I was also on the river from about 11:30 till 17:30. I only got a couple of wee troot (or they may have been salmon smolts).
The great thing was though I got one on a fly I tied myself, a wee black thing, not tied to any standard pattern.
I saw four salmon or sea trout jumping, one swimming along in front of me with its dorsal fin showing.
A nice day out though, not at all spoiled by the wee shower mid-afternoon.
There was a wee bit of a rise around 5 to 5:30 near the toon bridge.
Jimmy

Michael Buchan

« Reply #69 on: 21/04/2011 at 22:10 »
Had a bash at Kintore this evening very little happening.  Managed to land a couple tiddlers on spiders.  Was a cold evening only flylife i saw were a few stoneflies kicking about.
Highlight of the night was watching a 2-3lb fish swimming in a big back eddie, wasnt interest in my fly  :cry

Hopefully will have more luck on Satuarday

Michael

DJG1984

« Reply #70 on: 21/04/2011 at 22:29 »
I managed an hour and a half (2:30- 4pm) at Inverurie this afternoon between my shifts at work, I managed to catch 8 tiny little troot, the smallest being a mere 2 inches long :z4. Still it was nice afternoon and alot better than sitting doing nothing between my shifts.

Dave.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #71 on: 23/04/2011 at 22:38 »
Last 3 visits to the river have not been very fruitful. Same story each time, very few fly hatching, spooking fish at distance in the very clear water and refusals or short takes from the few regular risers I have seen. Have stuck with drys when I know other tactics would no doubt yield a few smaller fish. Have not seen any big fish which is unusual for this time of year. Perhaps the bright weather and clear water is making them shy.
Think a few inches of rain to add some colour to the water would help.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #72 on: 24/04/2011 at 10:52 »
Aye Noel, the river is as clear as I've ever seen it and a few spots af rain and a bit of colour wouldn't go amiss.

The hatches have been sporadic and apart from a couple of 3" - 4" parr I haven't witnessed any trout taking Dun's on the last two outings so the rises could be to emergers or some of the other tiny stuff on the surface.

Sadly the only fish to an emerging MB (Brown Klink).

Noel eagerly awaits a second rise from a nice trout - it first rose 3 hours ago! :z4

Yesterday seemed to be more MB's than LDO's on the go but still in no great numbers. Lots of Hawthorns about couldn't catch any but did pull one from a spiders web.

gonna try another location next to see what's happening elsewhere.
Spiders and nymphs were creating the usual stir amongst the wee fish, two at a time on occasion  :z6

Iain

Michael Buchan

« Reply #73 on: 24/04/2011 at 19:24 »
Tried a new beat on Saturday shame the fish werent in the mood as the beat looked good will be back soon.

Saw only one fish rise between 9:30 and 2  :z8 No real hatch to speak of there was the odd MB dun comming off but not in any numbers.  A few small fish started rising aroud 2:30 managed to take the only 2 steady risers on a CDC march brown emerger  :z16

Going to have a bash tommorow night at Kintore

Michael

Iain Goolager

« Reply #74 on: 24/04/2011 at 21:53 »
Nice pictures Michael  :z16

Things will kick off soon  :z6

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com