Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

farrochie

Re: River Don 2011
« Reply #45 on: 08/04/2011 at 21:01 »
Try heading up to the top of the beat, a lot less dog walkers up there and some more productive pools.

Thanks. I will get an early start one day next week and go right to the top of the beat, on my map that seems to be where the Polinar Burn enters the Don.

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #46 on: 08/04/2011 at 21:10 »
Yes, thats the upper limit, from there down to the Black Pot is a productive area.

farrochie

« Reply #47 on: 08/04/2011 at 21:14 »
Thanks. I will get an early start one day next week and go right to the top of the beat, on my map that seems to be where the Polinar Burn enters the Don.

Yes, thats the upper limit, from there down to the Black Pot is a productive area.

By the way, don't laugh, I'm using my old Milbro Trufly rod and Intrepid Rimfly reel, must be 30 years old, and my line is the same age, all bought as a package advertised in Trout & Salmon when I started fly fishing on the River Bush in Co Antrim.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #48 on: 08/04/2011 at 21:15 »
Walked the beat a couple of miles downstream of Inverurie today. Got on the river at 2:30pm, left @ 4:52 pm never saw one rise, only saw one Olive which flew overhead, tried to catch it with my new adapted bandy catcher but couldn't even do that!
I think this is the very first time I've visited the river without having a cast  :cry Spoke to a guy that'd been out since lunchtime and he hadn't seen any rises either. Forgot my thermometer to see what the water temp was.

So you'll have to make do with this.

I have a plan though..............

Iain

DJG1984

« Reply #49 on: 08/04/2011 at 21:59 »
My first day on the Don and my first ever concession day ticket. A beautiful day weather wise, but as DJG1984 says there wis a lot o ppl throwin sticks in the watter for their dugs.

I fished from about 12 till 4:30. I had the first two hours on the Urie and two hours on the Don. I stayed within a mile or so of Inverurie and I suspect this is the busiest part, especially wi the school holidays.

A couple of takes gave me confidence in the flies, but I wasnae quick enough to get the hook home. I haven't done much fly fishing, too busy working but I have a bit of time to spare now, being semi-retired. I hope to explore more of the Don soon.

Regards,

farrochie

Are you the gentleman i talked to this afternoon by any chance? Did you come up from Stonehaven?

Dave.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #50 on: 09/04/2011 at 07:49 »
...my new adapted bandy catcher

I have a plan though..............

Iain

is the plan to use the bandy net to take up butterfly collecting?

how do you cast a size 1/0 red admiral anyway?

Noel Kelly

« Reply #51 on: 09/04/2011 at 15:53 »
Sunny and windy today. Was on the river for 11 and a hatch of olives started at 11.30. Fish responded straight away with about 5 moving in a fast run. I picked out the better looking ones and landed 2 best one weighing 1lb

The hatch was short lived and despite eventually moving to another beat didn't see any more hatches or fish. I did see this little fella hitching a ride downstream

and I met this crazy guy splashing about with a bandy net :shock

Met 2 muppets flinging mepps :mad had a word and apparently they were told at Sloanes that this was perfectly fine  :z6 I didn't bother getting into it with them but phoned the river bailiff to let him know.    

farrochie

« Reply #52 on: 09/04/2011 at 16:06 »
Are you the gentleman i talked to this afternoon by any chance? Did you come up from Stonehaven?

Dave.

Yes, Dave, I came up fae Stonehaven and I spoke to you a couple of times.

Jimmy

gibbyboy

« Reply #53 on: 14/04/2011 at 12:33 »
Just a wee note that when I was fishing at Inverurie last Saturday I managed to loose my shooting head!! Noticed earlier in the day the plastic around the welded loop of the running line way cut and the inner core was starting to fray......an hour later.....fishing about 20 yards above the boat pool in the fast water when it snagged under a rick.......a few good strong pulls.....gone! intermediate line so wasnt on the surface to catch and pull out!!

It was a factory loop.....any ideas on how to solve this?? weld/lash/glue perhaps for extra hold?

Any of you guys manege to land a line....let me know  :wink

cheers!

Iain Goolager

« Reply #54 on: 16/04/2011 at 20:43 »
 Headed down to the river just before 11 this morning - It was quite cold and a little drizzly so I didn't muck about & threw on a nymph and spider. Picking a likely run I set about seeing how Mikes new GT 90 WF4F felt . I didn't get much time to evaluate as within the first half dozen casts the lines progress downstream was checked and I lifted into a nice trout to kick the day off.

10-15 min's later another nice wee trout came to the MB spider.
A few Olives and MB's could be seen but these were very sparse and didn't stir much trout. Eventually I did see one trout that was up thrice in the same line so I hastened out of the water and did a quick change to a hares' ear emerger. I did rise him once but didn't prick him   :z6

I continued to switch between nymphs and dries for the next few hours in some kind of misinformed impotent fiasco as the upwings trickled past now and again but with no real spark from the trout.

Photo's of MB didn't come out properly

I did see a few smaller trout rise in a familiar spot so threw on a reversed parachute emerger and saw it nailed as soon as it hit the water.

(just a wee fish but photo is to show the hooking position on the reversed para emerger)

The next cast rose another small fish but again no contact.

I stopped at the tail of a long pool to speculate with the dry even though nothing was rising. Half a dozen fruitless casts and I decided to muck about with some wiggles just to see how much I'd need to let a dry fish as long as it could. Surprise, surprise, a little dimple under the emerger and I lifted into a fish that proved to be larger than I anticipated.

A couple of other trout came to the MB spider so I guess it wasn't a bad day although the dry fly activity was poor and I seriously wished that I'd had two rods out today due to the chopping and changing (something that I never thought'd happen).

Bumped into a 8524gavin and had a nice wee chat – he had a couple of nice wee plump fish.

Pleased with the line Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #55 on: 16/04/2011 at 20:47 »
Good shit Iain, thought today would have been good.

I went out tonight to see if anything was moving as there was the odd fish taking midge into the evening last night after work.  Nothing doint so blind fished a big black Klink up one of my favourite pools and nailed two bandys.  Saw nothing move, not suprised, quite a cool breeze.

CHeers

Ben

DJG1984

« Reply #56 on: 16/04/2011 at 20:55 »
I fished the Don at Inverurie yesterday between 11 and 3, caught 5 wee troot all on the march broon spider. i even climbed a tree to get my flee back , well didn't want to lose the flee the fish were taking.

Dave.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #57 on: 16/04/2011 at 20:57 »
Great stuff Iain and some cracking photos! :z16

Cheers
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #58 on: 16/04/2011 at 21:00 »
Thanks Mike 'mushy pea' must be a lucky colour.  :z16

Dave, are you the guy from Inverness that I spoke to today (and have spoken to at Inverurie a fair few times last season)?

Iain

DJG1984

« Reply #59 on: 16/04/2011 at 21:06 »
Thanks Mike 'mushy pea' must be a lucky colour.  :z16

Dave, are you the guy from Inverness that I spoke to today (and have spoken to at Inverurie a fair few times last season)?

Iain

Nope, sorry. I'm a Huntly loon. Too many of us Daves' on the go. :z4 As the saying goes "everyone knows a dave".

dave.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com