Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: River Don 2011
« Reply #240 on: 24/06/2011 at 17:48 »
A height gauge will be appearing on the kintore webcam in due course, it was always the case one was to be erected there so anglers could  see the water levels

Might pay to make it a tall and reinforced one for Kintore Iain :z4

Cheers
Mike

Matt Henderson

« Reply #241 on: 24/06/2011 at 20:04 »
Sorry "Machar" I wasn't having a go. It's just that on the brig of Potarch webcam when you zoom in it shows a graphic showing the level at the same time so you get a regular update. Which is better than fishpal or sepa.

Cheers

Matt

machar

« Reply #242 on: 25/06/2011 at 08:09 »
Hi Mike / Matt

Point taken Mike ! Matt , I appreciate you were  not having a go, I was just mentioning something that will be done in the future and which I should have mentioned before. glad the webcams are appreciated.

cheers

Iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #243 on: 26/06/2011 at 00:01 »
Out tonigh,t river's settling down again and the Browns were back on the surface in reasonable numbers.
Seen 3 big fish tonight, spent 1/2 an hour waiting for the first one to resurface but it never happened, the other 2 were equally as shy although they did show again at very irregular intervals.

Had a couple of 3/4lb fish on F-Fly but there were a lot of half hearted offers, pricks and dimpling without hook ups and that was to F-Flies, CDC&E's & Klinks so it's not as if various angles weren't covered.

Back onto Froghair tippet, having to degrease every 5 or so casts which I'm convinced is spookin the fish. Irvine what's happening? Have to go back to home made fullers earth mix.

Resigned myself, again, to moving upstream of showing fish and fishing the downstream dry & was rewarded with a nice broonie.

not huge but nice enough  :z16

Iain

Liam Stephen

« Reply #244 on: 26/06/2011 at 01:42 »
Nice one Iain.  :z16

Liam Stephen

« Reply #245 on: 28/06/2011 at 22:56 »
Had my most enjoyable day on the Don today. Was down for three where I had two otters casually wander in front of me, they seemed to not mind me following them. Got a few pics of them throughout the day as they seemed to follow me from pool to pool. Caught a dozen or so all on the dry, mainly klinks in olive, tan, black and brown. Most of which were small but still good fun, had three better size ones best being just under 1lb. So all in all very enjoyable days fishing.  :z16

P.s have shit loads of pics to upload, promise I'll get them up soon.

Thanks

Iain Goolager

« Reply #246 on: 29/06/2011 at 05:31 »
Good stuff Liam.

I would have loved to have been out yesterday but hoping to get
back home early evening and back on the Don at night.
Iain

Liam Stephen

« Reply #247 on: 29/06/2011 at 16:46 »
Don't think I'll be heading out tonight gggrrr!!  :mad f*****g rain. If it does settle a bit, but the waters up and coloured any good tactics for taking trout?

Thanks

Peter McCallum

« Reply #248 on: 29/06/2011 at 21:19 »
worms? drop minnow?  :z4 :z4 :z13

Liam Stephen

« Reply #249 on: 29/06/2011 at 23:30 »
Last nights trip was good... But nothing like tonight!! Caught pretty much every couple of casts.  :z14 my highlight would defo be seeing a 5/6lb resident brownie (my judgement on size is shite by the way) but trust me it was huge. So I was skating a CDC Elk over the surface when a 1/2 pounder took hold, then BANG!! The monster went airbourne, it was unmistakeably a brownie. That will now be my target over the  coming weeks fingers crossed. I then moved further upstream to a nice pool which Iain showed me and man was it good. Shortly after arrival there was a good steady hatch of olives and the water came alive. On went an olive F-Fly and a few casts later I landed a nice trout of around 3/4 lb shortly followed by another slighty larger one. I then sat around for a while resting the pool when I saw a decent size rise. Dried up my fly and gave it a couple of throws, the fish came a sipped it down. The fish was very athletic and attempted to chuck the hook with a few leaps. But eventually it was netted, a lovley fish just over the pound mark. Was well chuffed, I have really noticed an improvment in my skills and knowlege of the water. Whichresulted in my biggest most consistent catch ever. Get in.

Thanks

Iain Goolager

« Reply #250 on: 02/07/2011 at 00:27 »
Firstly - Well Done young gun :z16

out tonight - long story short as I'm goosed.

a couple of big fish around and lots of smaller stuff, as per usual.

Had a few smaller fish to various CDC'S (F-flies, emergers)

and a few to an olive CDC Elk before finally hooking a decent fish on a Black Klink,

Sea-Trout slightly over the 2lb and well received.

Gavin, fly pictures to follow......

Iain

Liam Stephen

« Reply #251 on: 02/07/2011 at 00:57 »
Nice one Iain, saw your car but not you? Were you down from the bridge or something?

Iain Goolager

« Reply #252 on: 02/07/2011 at 01:24 »
affirmative - in the badlands. Council seriously need to run  a strimmer over some of the banks - a fair chunk of water unfishable.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #253 on: 02/07/2011 at 08:01 »

Gavin,
Here's a picture of my typical F-fly and CDC & Elk (both in olive bodies). Black Klink will follow - fell asleep at the computer earlier this morning after tying these up  :cry

Iain

Jim Eddie

« Reply #254 on: 02/07/2011 at 10:16 »
Nice flies Iain  :z16

:z18

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com