Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Liam Stephen

Re: River Don 2011
« Reply #225 on: 12/06/2011 at 10:48 »
Yeah thanks I couldn't resize it properly.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #226 on: 15/06/2011 at 00:05 »
Had a very enjoyable night tonight. Fished a stretch I hadn't yet fished this year. The fish sit along the far bank so its a case of wading to the middle and casting to rises. Its probably a 200 yard stretch and there were enough fish rising for this to take me more than 2 hrs. It seemed every time I had either caught/lost or spooked a fish the next one would catch my eye 10 yards upstream. I caught about 10 or 12, best 1.5lbs with most being 1/2 to 3/4 lbs. Loads of fun to target every likely looking rise and getting a response most of the time. Most were on a badly chewed cdc&elk. Was frozen and soaked by the end of the stretch. Well past time to get my waders fixed again.   

Iain Goolager

« Reply #227 on: 15/06/2011 at 00:18 »
Apart from the leaking waders I could copy and paste your post!

The only thing of note was the sub/surface activity earlier on that had me merely moving or pricking fish - what were they feeding on? I tried every surface thingummy I had even a high viz beetle along the docking infested banks  :z8
Things progressed nicely to a CDC Olive Dun then CDC & Elk then as darkness made seeing where the end of the line landed (god knows about the fly) nigh impossible I threw on a large sedge and lifted to anything remotely in the suspected target zone.

23:39 saw a 3/4lb trout to hand and I concluded that with that even though fish were still showing.

10 or so 1/2lb fish a few 3/4lb and a couple in the 1-1 1/4lb range - no Mr Big but great fun selecting specific rises and having a reasonable hook up rate.

Iain

Liam Stephen

« Reply #228 on: 16/06/2011 at 23:42 »
Was out tonight got absolutely drenched. Was down for five when a trickle of up-wings started falling onto the water, followed by some small olives. This stirred plenty of fish some of which weren't to bad. Action slowly died down and then..... The rain came pissing down, thunder lightening the lot. After my drenching I headed down to my favourite pool and waited a while, it was worth it, again upwings slowly started hatching then about twenty minutes later the water was covered in what looked like B.W.O's and Yellow Sallies they just kept coming. Trout were rising everywhere, I counted at least a dozen in about 100yards of water. Again things went quite for while. I left my pool and headed upstream searching for big browns clocked one leaping of around 3lbs and saw plenty of around 1-2lbs. After trying everything to hook up with one of the eventually I gave up on them. Waited for the magic sedge hatch however they didn't show tonight. On my final stroll along the river I stopped by a slow pool and sat around, watching fish after fish slurpping flies. Left at 10.30 with trout still rising not sure what to though.

Have some photos to upload from yesterday should get them up tomorrow.  :z16

Thanks   

Steven Kidd

« Reply #229 on: 21/06/2011 at 12:16 »
Caught my first proper Sea Trout last night on the Don! :z4

A fresh fish of just under 4lb, according to the weigh net, i am well pleased.  Fish safely returned.

It was a hellava fight, with me opting to go for a swim, 'river runs through it' style to get my leader clear of weed and rocks, i kept my head for a change and landed the fish after loads of leaps and tail walking, superb! :grin

Later last night i also hooked and lost what was probably a grilse.  I thought my pearly invicta was caught on weed again as it stopped mid drift, i pulled to free it and a huge fish leapt clear of the water attached to my fly :shock.  it threw the hook and was off :z8.

What a night!

Cheers,

Skidd

Matt Henderson

« Reply #230 on: 21/06/2011 at 12:29 »
Caught my first proper Sea Trout last night on the Don! :z4

A fresh fish of just under 4lb, according to the weigh net, i am well pleased.  Fish safely returned.

It was a hellava fight, with me opting to go for a swim, 'river runs through it' style to get my leader clear of weed and rocks, i kept my head for a change and landed the fish after loads of leaps and tail walking, superb! :grin

Later last night i also hooked and lost what was probably a grilse.  I thought my pearly invicta was caught on weed again as it stopped mid drift, i pulled to free it and a huge fish leapt clear of the water attached to my fly :shock.  it threw the hook and was off :z8.

What a night!

Cheers,

Skidd

Excellent!  I was hoping that the rain would have brought some fresh fish into the system!

Sounds like a good night!

Steven Kidd

« Reply #231 on: 21/06/2011 at 12:38 »
mdh,

There was plenty of fish in the river last night, and all were willing to have a snap at a fly.

I seen plenty of splashy rises from what i assume were sea trout.

Just a pity i didn't get a photo of the fish, but you can't have everything........(tonight perhaps).

Cheers,

Skidd

Iain Goolager

« Reply #232 on: 21/06/2011 at 19:16 »
Well  done Steverino,  :z16
no picture?  FAIL!

I'm sure the Sea Trout will be 'a roads' and I for one will be having a go very soon :wink

Stopped off to see the water colour and height earlier & it's looking good.

A few trout chasing BWO Duns might prove a distraction

Female Dun

Male Dun (removed from a web - not bad handling) :z6

Iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #233 on: 22/06/2011 at 10:24 »
Went to the river @ 21:30.   :z16
6Wt in hand, floating line & slow sinking poly leader finished off with a Silver Stoat and blue beard  :z16

Caught almost every cast - not fish though, grass, weed, tree limbs, Jack Daniels bottles, polystyrene food cartons  :mad

A couple of small trout took the fly  :z6 and I think it might have been better targeting the rising trout with dry flies in between the flotsom.
Olives were on the go for a decent spell.

An evening tying tonight me thinks.

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #234 on: 22/06/2011 at 11:13 »
polystyrene food cartons  :mad

I take it you took a snack?

An evening tying tonight me thinks.

I was planning on heading out tonight, but since the new cork I ordered arrived looks like it will an evening of reaming cork to fit and I might even do some fluff chucking on grass if I get a chance.

Matt

Andy Finlay

« Reply #235 on: 23/06/2011 at 11:32 »
Anyone had a look at the river today, was wondering if any point going out tonight for a few hours or is it too coloured.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #236 on: 23/06/2011 at 15:41 »
Any ideas on how the river is tonight? Height colour? Is trout fishing possible?

Matt Henderson

« Reply #237 on: 23/06/2011 at 16:03 »
check this link for the webcam, sadly can't see the water clarity.  The river was 1ft 11" this morning at Haughton Farm just outside Inverurie so should be down a bit further by tonight.  Would be worth sticking on a stoat's tail and seeing what happens...

http://www.farsondigitalwatercams.com/live-webcams/scotland/Don/Kintore/

river levels here, sadly only updated twice a day

http://www.fishpal.com/Scotland/Don/RiverLevels.asp?dom=Pal

I wonder if somebody could work out where that webcam is and stick a gauge opposite it.  That way you could tell the river level!

Peter Rawlinson

« Reply #238 on: 24/06/2011 at 06:12 »
Fished the Don at Kemnay last night . Levels dropping one minute then more rain slows things down .  Still a bit murky but had a few brownies on the wet fly .  Dry fly did not do much .

Don't ask me what the fly was called 'cos I do not know , just big and bushy    :roll

Heard a few splashes but did not see anything big .  Anyone know where all the sea trout are hiding ?

machar

« Reply #239 on: 24/06/2011 at 17:33 »
A height gauge will be appearing on the kintore webcam in due course, it was always the case one was to be erected there so anglers could  see the water levels

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com