Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

Re: River Don 2011
« Reply #165 on: 02/06/2011 at 13:16 »
Iain,

Stick them straight into a killing jar and they'll be dead enough (quite quickly) to photograph when you get home.

Ben

Noel Kelly

« Reply #166 on: 03/06/2011 at 00:31 »
Just back from the river and sitting in the garden with a large dram. Warm enough in a t shirt at midnight which is great. Tonight was an entomologists wet dream. The air was alive with beasties and I was nearly submerged by the weight of caddis that were crawling about my person. My entomoligy is shite but there were spinners by the hundred 2 different types, at least 3 types of sedge from large to some about 3 mil long. At one stage the air was alive with millions of smuts? Moving downriver in an unhurried procession. But alas with all the activity on the wing there was not much actually on the water. Some sedges and a few spinners dropping their cargo. Loads of small fish moving but the big boys were not surface feeding. I did see some BIG movements but they were all one offs and I'm sure they were hitting smaller trout... At one stage there was a boil from what must be a double figure fish followed instantly by a 3 lbr leaping high out of the river 20 yards away. A minute later 50 yards down stream a half pounder leaped with a big boil behind him. Maybe tonigh was the night for a big streamer! Think it's time I rested this pool, that's 4 nights I have haunted it this week.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #167 on: 03/06/2011 at 07:35 »
Bit of an anti climax last night  :z19

Stood around for ages while sedge, and Yellow Eve Duns (predominantely) milled about. Less than usual but still a few smaller fish showed but I waited patiently for Mr Big...............................then waited some more.
after a good 3/4 hour I threw the Yellow CDC Dun at a rise and a 1/2lb fish willingly accepted. Seen two larger fish that turned out to be one timers (can't spell oncers).
Feeling that the night was going to be fruitless I cast for another smaller fish, with a Stimulator, which turned out to be a spirited 1lb fish.

One highlight was standing watching a wave of easily 1,000,000 + micro caddis move slowly past, it's the most flies I've seen in the air at any one time. I did video it but for some reason the video didn't come out - I think it was because I don't know how to use my camera and tried to take a still mid video - the still did download but was of poor quality and looked more like splashed water on a dark surface. It was an awesome sight, the hatch not the junk photo.

wandered lonely as a cloud for a while looking for something, anything to aim at but it was not to be.

Materials for Killing Jar purchased and am going to try to get some decent photo's over the weekend.

Iain

Jim Eddie

« Reply #168 on: 03/06/2011 at 08:44 »
Aye it would have been good to be out on a warm night, tonight looks like a scorcher again  :z16 Thermals out for the week-end as its due to drop 10 deg C  :mad

Iain you must have had to take your socks and shoes off to count up to a million  :z4

:z18

Jim 

Iain Goolager

« Reply #169 on: 03/06/2011 at 12:01 »
Iain you must have had to take your socks and shoes off to count up to a million

With my pongy feet, not on your Nelly/ Nellie?

Iain

Liam Stephen

« Reply #170 on: 03/06/2011 at 17:37 »
Could anyone give me a pointer to good flies in this weather? Have been out the past couple of days with little success, though the flies have been out in numbers.
Thanks

Noel Kelly

« Reply #171 on: 03/06/2011 at 18:49 »
Hi, I have seen you most evenings this week. I would suggest that you are going home 2 early. The better fish only come on the take at the moment just as its getting dark so from 10pm onwards. As for flies it depends on what the fish are taking but good general patterns that are working for me are cdc &elk and klinkhammers.
The fish you will see rising every evening above the bridge and a few other locations up the river are very difficult to fool. Most of them are very small as well!! I usually have a shot at them as I walk pass but 9 out of 10 will refuse my offerings. Out of interest do you take a few for your dinner or put them back?   

Iain Goolager

« Reply #172 on: 03/06/2011 at 23:25 »
Blown off the Don tonight :mad getting little reward for a large bit of sweat. C'mon the Sea-Troot.

Young gun, were you out tonight? was that you in the white T-shirt? Do you usually wear a Red or Yellow Hoodie? The water is low and clear and there isn't much, if any, cover on a lot of the beat so with highish banks silhouette is also something to be considered.

Adding to Noels flies I'd say F-Flies (if you like CDC), any sedge pattern in anything from tiny to unfeasibly large (check what's flying about where you are) & any colour of paradun, from yellow to black. Also in failing light you could use bulky sedge wets (Invicta for example) fished down and across to showing fish or even try a muddler.

Stick at it young man, it'll come good. :z16

Iain

Michael Buchan

« Reply #173 on: 04/06/2011 at 00:19 »
Just back in wind got up around 1045 and blew us off aswell :mad

Managed what is probably a new PB for me for the beat so turned out to be a good night :z16, unfortunatly it wasnt noels moster but a fish around 1 3/4lb better than the usual 8-12inchers i usually get. He took a black klinkhammer at around 10:30 just before the wind really picked up. 

Struggled to get alot of rises to drys fish were preoccupied with something just under the surface.

Michael

Liam Stephen

« Reply #174 on: 04/06/2011 at 00:45 »
Thanks for the help guys will be sure to add a few of each to my tiny fly selection. Really need to start tying my own. Yeah have been out most days this week usually in a yellow or red hoodie, tonight was out in t-shirt as it was baking hot. Would have liked to stay out later however mother was hassling me to get home. Only had a few  tiddlers tonight, lost one of around 3/4lbs. But all safely returned to fight another day.
Thanks again

Noel Kelly

« Reply #175 on: 04/06/2011 at 00:46 »
Good stuff Michael that looks a lovely fish. Well done buddy :z16 I'm delighted your persistence has paid off. Was great to feel a proper tug on the line at last eh?  :grin

Jim Eddie

« Reply #176 on: 04/06/2011 at 10:23 »
Just back in wind got up around 1045 and blew us off aswell :mad

Managed what is probably a new PB for me for the beat so turned out to be a good night :z16, unfortunatly it wasnt noels moster but a fish around 1 3/4lb better than the usual 8-12inchers i usually get. He took a black klinkhammer at around 10:30 just before the wind really picked up. 

Struggled to get alot of rises to drys fish were preoccupied with something just under the surface.

Michael

Well done Michael , you'll be pulling out 3lbers soon.

:z18

Jim

Noel Kelly

« Reply #177 on: 04/06/2011 at 11:16 »
Thanks for the help guys will be sure to add a few of each to my tiny fly selection. Really need to start tying my own. Yeah have been out most days this week usually in a yellow or red hoodie, tonight was out in t-shirt as it was baking hot. Would have liked to stay out later however mother was hassling me to get home. Only had a few  tiddlers tonight, lost one of around 3/4lbs. But all safely returned to fight another day.
Thanks again

Tying your own is def the way forward but in the meantime try forum member Peter "rabbitangler" he ties most of my river flies for me. They are top quality.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #178 on: 04/06/2011 at 11:23 »
How do you go about that though? I would imagine you know him then? Do you get them mailed or something?

Noel Kelly

« Reply #179 on: 04/06/2011 at 21:39 »
How do you go about that though? I would imagine you know him then? Do you get them mailed or something?

Send him a PM (private message) I'm sure he will be happy to sort you out. If you want to join up with me some evening you are welcome. If I could be sure you fish c&r I would even show you where some of the big boys live...   

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com