Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

River Don 2011
« on: 28/02/2011 at 18:20 »
Please use this thread to post your Don reports for the 2011 season, trout, salmon or sea trout.  Hatch information, successful patterns, tackle & tactics.  Please be responsible when reporting and do not give away exact locations of fish, general area or beat name is fine providing the beat is big enough and not just a pool or two.

Cheers

Ben

Ben Dixon

Re: River Don 2011
« Reply #1 on: 28/02/2011 at 19:01 »
First day out on the Don at Fetternear today with some success....

First fish 10lb4oz, no lice but was fresh enough to be shedding scales

Head shot of same fish

Second fish

11lb4oz.

Head shot of same

The fly

Was fishing my new Mackenzie DTX 15' Shooting Head rod with an AFS tracker, superb combination.  Fish were caught on a swung Golden Angel Gunn on a 1 3/4" Cu tube fished off a type VI sink tip on a 3'6" leader.  I need to get a bigger net, proper PITA trying to fold those fish into my Maclean speciment net, easy enough getting a fish of this size into the net when fishing a 9'6" rod but on a 15'er with high banks and no assistance it was hairy to say the least.  Had a kelt just before I packed up on a slowly pulled Conns Sunray fished on a type VIII tip, few other pulls here and there throughout the afternoon too.

Cheers

Ben

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 28/02/2011 at 19:23 »
Said you'd catch today :wink Nice fish, nice reel and very nice rod  :cool:

I'm now determined to get out for a cast - but where and when :z8

Ho hum  :roll

H :z3

John Reid

« Reply #3 on: 28/02/2011 at 20:06 »
Well in Mr Dixon.

I echo Hamish's sentiments.

Looks like you are enjoying the new perv cam as well  :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 28/02/2011 at 20:31 »
Excellent stuff Ben :z16

Cheers
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #5 on: 28/02/2011 at 20:39 »
Thats pretty impressive Ben and a great start to the Don 2011 thread :z16 Here's to lots of good reports to come. :z18

Ben Dixon

« Reply #6 on: 09/03/2011 at 11:35 »
Fished again on Monday.....

Dropped a nice fish, didn't see it but it felt a fair weight and had another few offers.  Only thing landed was a small kelt.  Same set up as used last week and same fly, 5" less on the gauge.

Dave Stuart from the shop had a fresh 7lb hen fish from Kemnay yesterday on a black & Orange conehead and a kelt he measured at 30".

Cheers

Ben

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 09/03/2011 at 20:33 »
Dave caught something  :shock

Jings  :wink

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 13/03/2011 at 08:55 »
Inspired by Ben and his Grandad Dave (Team Orvis) I planned a couple of hours on Friday and an 'all dayer' yesterday after Salmonz.
Unfortunately the wind was pretty horrendous on Friday and naturaly any wise man would opt for fishing the barren steppes of Kintore in such conditions  ???   
Wasn't having much fun so decided to rush through 2 pools and head home. No Springer to report but a momentary raise in heartbeat at the tail of the last pool turned out to be a kelt.  :z6
Yesterday was a different prospect and a glance out of the window early doors and I was confident that it was going to be a good day. I was out on the water at Kemnay within half an hour and everything felt right, a truly pleasant spring morning. Supposedly it was going to snow or was it rain? what a load of tosh!
Well the morning did darken and then throw up a few drops of sleet and then a little flake or two  :z5  but not before I had banked 4 Salmon  :shock ....................all of which were kelts  :z19  So much for the law of averages. I headed home to watch Aberdeen sneak a well deserved replay  :oops and tie a few more flies for hopefully next weekend.

Nice to be back on the river though and hopefully a rise in water will help the fish travelling both East and West.

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #9 on: 13/03/2011 at 10:45 »
Good stuff Iain,

Snowed all day in Banchory yesterday!!  Was planning a day at it tomorrow but looking at the forecast I suspect the Don could be up and brown by the morning.

Cheers

Ben

Ben Dixon

« Reply #10 on: 14/03/2011 at 21:22 »
Fished again today, nothing!!

Still brown although water cleared and fell all day, setting alarm for 5AM to get a few hours in before work tomorrow  :grin

Ben

John Reid

« Reply #11 on: 14/03/2011 at 22:32 »
You are hardcore Mr Dixon.

I will get up to the Don as soon as the weather improves.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #12 on: 15/03/2011 at 10:33 »
No fresh fish this morning but got a kelt so was sort of worth getting up at 5AM.  River is in perfect nick, if I was off today, I'd be fishing, reckon anyone out today is in with a good shout.  Saw a fresh fish show and covered it a few times but got no response.

Will try to make it out again tomorrow  :grin

Ben

Michael Buchan

« Reply #13 on: 27/03/2011 at 10:05 »
A few photos from yesterday fished Fetternear

Had some success in the morning when i landed a kelt.  Was slowly stripping back a Conns Sunray Shadow (cheers Ben  :z16) when line went tight and thing on the end went nuts fish swam upstream downstream took me into the backing a couple times.  After about 10 mins finaly managed to land it took a couple quick photos and back it went. 

Photos dont realy show the girth of the fish but it was solid definatly well fed.  Looking at the photos and measuring my rod its roughly about 32-34 inches.

Setup was 15ft LPXE, Sink1/2 shooting head, Fast sinking Saltwater Polyleader and 3ft Seagar 24lb Leader and Conns Sunray Shadow and Gold Salar double.

No hatch to speak of, a couple of olives could be seen drifting down around 1:30 but not enough to interest any trout.

Michael

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #14 on: 27/03/2011 at 10:36 »
Fine looking fish  :z16 Well done!

Ewan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com