Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

John Reid

Hackle Pliers
« on: 16/02/2011 at 22:34 »
I want to get a good set of hackle pliers as I am fed up of the three pair I have slipping off hackles, especially waterhen feathers.

Can anyone recommend a functional set?

Barry Robertson

Re: Hackle Pliers
« Reply #1 on: 16/02/2011 at 22:54 »
What are you using at the moment John??

Peter McCallum

« Reply #2 on: 17/02/2011 at 07:39 »
Do you have a wee bit of silicon on the end of one jaw John?

John Reid

« Reply #3 on: 17/02/2011 at 10:14 »
I have a couple of pairs of cheap ones, one pair with fine jaws (1.5mm) and the other with wider jaws (3mm).  I have tried fine  rubber on one side of the pliers but they are still slipping.

Do you mean putting normal silicone on them Peter?

I want to get a nice light pair for tying spiders etc as the ones I have seem very heavy.

Kevin Muir

« Reply #4 on: 17/02/2011 at 12:24 »
Hi John

I have several different types of hackle pliers.

Without a doubt, the best gripping pair I own are the Dorin J Jaw pair.

My only problem with these is that the loop of wire is too small to fit your finger through.

If this loop was larger, these would be perfect.

My normal pair I use most of the time if ultimate strength is not required is a long nose "English" pattern pair of pliers.  I have rounded the tip of the pliers on a diamond file and made sure they have no sharp edges on the jaws.  I can fit a finger through the loop and also the section above the loop making it very easy to wrap a hackle without twisting the hackle.

I will post a photo of this pair at the weekend.

Here is a link to the Dorin pliers:- http://www.lakelandflytying.com/NewSearchRes.aspx?strName=hackle_pliers

Hope things are going well with the new job.

Kev.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #5 on: 17/02/2011 at 14:02 »
I have a couple of pairs of cheap ones, one pair with fine jaws (1.5mm) and the other with wider jaws (3mm).  I have tried fine  rubber on one side of the pliers but they are still slipping.

Do you mean putting normal silicone on them Peter?

I want to get a nice light pair for tying spiders etc as the ones I have seem very heavy.

No just a silicone tube similar to the things you get on light fittings or even tube fly tubing

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 17/02/2011 at 14:08 »
John

I have several pairs of cheap standard pliers
one if which is now 25 years old and still works fine.
I did buy some C&F ones a few years ago and I love them
http://www.sportfish.co.uk/product/cf-hackle-pliers-cft120
bit pricey though, not sure they are worth the expense, but if it's not an issue they
are fabulous for spiders and delicate hackles. :z16

sandy

John Reid

« Reply #7 on: 17/02/2011 at 20:44 »
Thanks very much guys.  I think I will get a pair of the C&F ones as I really like the look of them and the Dorin ones because of the grip factor.  :z18

I will update my progress with decent pictures as I have sussed out the macro function on the camera now  :grin

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com