Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Bronzebommer

Salmon Files
« on: 17/02/2011 at 20:14 »
This will be my first proper season of Salmon fishing, I have all the gear apart from some suitable flies. Can anyone suggest a few for Kintore and Inverurie???  :z8

Cheers
Matt

Hamish Young

Re: Salmon Files
« Reply #1 on: 17/02/2011 at 20:32 »
This time of year I'd try tubes between 1 to 3 inches.
Patterns - always a conditions choice and a personal choice, but I'd opt for Gold bodied Willie Gunn, Tosh, Squirrel & Orange and something vaguely along the lines of a silver stoat as my go to flies at this time of year :z16

:z3

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 17/02/2011 at 22:21 »
Hi Matt,

That head should carry 1" Cu tubes no problem and once used to it, you should be able to chuck 1.25" without any issues too. 

I have to agree with Hamish here (just choked on my fish finger sandwich), Gold Willie Gunn is my usual choice early season.  I carry these only on Cu or brass tubes.  Veniard Slipstream Cu tubes or Veniard super slim bottle tubes and I have a small number tied on very heavy standard brass bottle tubes with extensions.  Only other thing I tend to use is a gold bodied cascade on slim brass bottles, these are usually used only in warmer water.  With the early season stuff, in cold water use a relatively big fly regardless of water height and go heavier on the tube in higher water, a heavier tube will swim slower.  Increasingly I am using Sunrays on Al tubes on a Skagit set up early season, partly because I get bored waiting for the fly to swim round and because I think some movement in the fly is better than a plainly swung fly at any time of the season. 

Cheers

Ben

Bronzebommer

« Reply #3 on: 18/02/2011 at 12:06 »
 :z14

Cheers guys  :z2

Bronzebommer

« Reply #4 on: 26/03/2011 at 19:57 »
Back again,

anyone have any preferences on hook make and size?

???

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 26/03/2011 at 20:05 »
For tubes, I only use Partridge Salar doubles. I learnt the hard way that most others are inferior :z10
Sizes - well, I use 7, 9 and 11 in silver and gold. These cover pretty much most of the tubes I'm ever likely to fish with :cool:

Bronzebommer

« Reply #6 on: 26/03/2011 at 20:08 »
Nice one Hamish!! I'll go and order them now.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com