Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

DJG1984

Re: Anywhere Fishable?
« Reply #15 on: 15/02/2011 at 23:31 »
The Daddy is my ultimate fail-safe, prevented a good few blanks last year. I only know of 2 other fish being caught at Loch insch on monday, 1 of those was also a olive damsel the other a red bloodworm. I've only really been fishing since last spring, so i'm still learning. My casting is improving slowly. Mondays fish was the biggest i've caught so far.

David.

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #16 on: 15/02/2011 at 23:43 »
A 5.5lb fish is a cracker on any day David - congratulations on your new personal best. If Mike ever thaws out Haddo :) then try your luck there too, there are some huge fish in there and some superb Brown trout similar in size to your Loch Insch fish.

Ewan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #17 on: 16/02/2011 at 11:39 »
Damsel nymphs are certainly high on the menu at our local stillwaters :z16

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #18 on: 16/02/2011 at 11:53 »
Good video Mike.  The Damsel bottom left even did one of those little "wiggles" I was taking about! :z4

Ewan

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #19 on: 17/02/2011 at 18:04 »
Went out to Lochter again today as the weather was quite good.  The lochs are Ice free now and there was little wind and even a few bits of sunshine  :z12 . I managed 5 Rainbows and 1 lovely Wild Brown (see picture) of about 2.5 pounds.  Black/White Dancer was the order of the day.

Ewan

Hamish Young

« Reply #20 on: 17/02/2011 at 18:53 »
That's a tidy brownie  :z16

:z3

Jim Eddie

« Reply #21 on: 17/02/2011 at 19:23 »
Aye thats a bonny fish Big D  :z15

:z18

Jim

Noel Kelly

« Reply #22 on: 17/02/2011 at 19:25 »
A beauty, you must have been pleased with that.  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #23 on: 17/02/2011 at 19:57 »
Cracking fish Ewan ...... what a beauty! :z16

Cheers
Mike

Allan Liddle

« Reply #24 on: 17/02/2011 at 20:09 »
Beautiful fish.  I'd have been chuffed with that one.
There's been a spate of good wild broons showing up regularly in our northern fisheries for the past four or five years now.

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #25 on: 17/02/2011 at 20:18 »
Yep, that one made my day. It was in superb condition; fin perfect and put up an excellent fight - much better than bigger rainbows today. I asked the chap in the Bothie if they were stocked Brownies and he said that they had never stocked any Brownies and that they had all got into the loch(s) from the stream (I guess when it's in flood).

Ewan

Allan Liddle

« Reply #26 on: 17/02/2011 at 21:01 »
Actually there was a stocking from Bob at Forgue in a few Northern fisheries that was supposed to be all 'bows but had some browns mixed in. 
Not that i'm saying all these fish came from this source, far from it, but it did explain the apparent sudden regular appearance of big browns in Insch, Rothes and Lochter.

No deliberate stocking of browns but accidental.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #27 on: 17/02/2011 at 21:02 »
I believe they must have come down the feeder pipe which comes from a wee burn. Just goes to show the feeding in the loch.
I released one there last year of about 4lbs which was attached to a rod and reel that had been pulled off the bank earlier that day. It was in perfect nick as well but totally different colour to that one.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #28 on: 17/02/2011 at 21:05 »
Actually there was a stocking from Bob at Forgue in a few Northern fisheries that was supposed to be all 'bows but had some browns mixed in. 
Not that i'm saying all these fish came from this source, far from it, but it did explain the apparent sudden regular appearance of big browns in Insch, Rothes and Lochter.

No deliberate stocking of browns but accidental.

Interesting Allan, not heard that before. Think accidental stocking could be responsible for a lot of interesting catches ie small bows from certain places that the owners always swear have been spawned in the Loch.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #29 on: 17/02/2011 at 22:16 »
I think its pretty common for fished to be mixed up in stockings and the odd diff species turning up in say only rainbow stocked waters.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com