Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

wildfisher

The Don Today
« Reply #15 on: 23/02/2007 at 19:15 »
Sandy, all it needs is a big snowfall up the hills and a slow thaw over many weeks. That'll keep the water cold until after the season starts. You just never know what is gong to happen here. Folk often speak of "normal springs",  but as you and I know there is really no such thing  -  no two are ever the  same in this neck of the woods. Last year was very cold though. It's a shame that the SEPA station at Haughton that gives the river level on-line does not also give water temperature, would not be hard to add, temperature is far easier to measure than level.

http://www.sepa.org.uk/data/river_levels/view.aspx?id=11002

I feel  a project coming on……………………… :grin:

Chris Connolly

Cheap Fishing
« Reply #16 on: 24/02/2007 at 18:16 »
being a lowlander guys I have read your thread on the Don with interest.
The don I have fished a number of times over the years is not in my view cheap.
I have had a few fish from it but not being able to fish it consistently have never been able to know spots well.
I fish the Tay the tweed and the clyde for trout and salmon.The dearest and I grudge forking out  the £9 for is on an association water on the tweed.especially now since they have stopped stocking it.
An annual visitors ticket for trout on the tweed costs me £25 and my annual ticket for salmon on the clyde which also covers the trout last year was £45.
I think I paid £12.50 for my day on the don last year and nope I didnt grudge it as it was nice ti fish the famous don again.
I can still get a days trouting in Perthshire for very little money and just thought I would share it with you guys
No we dont have the great Big trout of the don  but we do regularly get both trout and Grayling in the 2lb+ bricket  which is still great fishing.

chris

Sandy Nelson

The Don Today
« Reply #17 on: 24/02/2007 at 21:28 »
Oh How i wish i had Grayling on my doorstep :cry:

On the whole i have to agree Chris, but the river is good value compared to some Stillwaters and a whole lot prettier.
I had the chance to spend a couple of years in perthshire and stirlingshire so have taken advantage of some of your great fishing too, and yes it was fantastic value, What you do have to consider is the DON is the cheapest main river fishing in the NE  (only some of the much smaller rivers are cheaper)
So beggars cant be choosers, well you can pick the beats, some of them are a lot less than people may think, it pays to phone around. :wink:

Sandy

wildfisher

The Don Today
« Reply #18 on: 24/02/2007 at 21:34 »
Quote from: "spiderman"
Oh How i wish i had Grayling on my doorstep :cry:

It could be arranged.  :lol:

Seriously though, if the Don had grayling it would, without  doubt,  be the best grayling river in the UK. No other river has as much caddis larvae and crustacea. They would grow to fabulous proportions

wildfisher

The Don Today
« Reply #19 on: 25/02/2007 at 08:07 »
More on the mild winter / high water  temperatures  -  one of the regulars on the Wild Fishing Forum was on the Clyde after grayling yesterday (24th Feb) and witnessed a hatch of olives   :shock:

Sandy Nelson

The Don Today
« Reply #20 on: 25/02/2007 at 08:10 »
:cry:

Jim Doyle

The Don Today
« Reply #21 on: 25/02/2007 at 10:58 »
I run grayling days on an other forum, these are held at kinkell on the earn, if you would like a day at these fish just pm me and I,ll sort one out. In fact if you can get to montrose I,ll take you.  If a group on here want a day on the river its £5 a head with one of the best huts available.  just ask   jim

Sandy Nelson

The Don Today
« Reply #22 on: 25/02/2007 at 18:07 »
Cheers jim

When i eventually get back on shift :roll:  I may well take you up on that.
Never tried the Earn, i've fished most of the Tay tributaries but never that one.

:z18

Sandy

smac

Grayling day..
« Reply #23 on: 26/02/2007 at 12:55 »
Jim/Sandy,

I'd be very interested in a day too.

Stuart

spencie

The Don Today
« Reply #24 on: 26/02/2007 at 17:45 »
Do you go during the week or just at weekends? I would be most interested if you went during the week.

Stuart

Jim Doyle

The Don Today
« Reply #25 on: 27/02/2007 at 17:26 »
depends who is fishing the river as salmon men get first choice, if you are interested i can enqire as to a suitable date and put it up  jim

smac

The Don Today
« Reply #26 on: 28/02/2007 at 13:24 »
Could manage a weekday too. Saturdays are out for me. Can you grayling fish on a Sunday ?

Stuart

Rob Brownfield

The Don Today
« Reply #27 on: 28/02/2007 at 14:42 »
Quote from: "smac"
Can you grayling fish on a Sunday ?

Stuart

Oh yes...only time I DO fish for them :) No pesky salmon anglers about then! Last fish was on boxing day at 2 pounds and 6 oz :)

Going back to the bit about the Don being "easy" to get onto...I still disagree  :lol:  Yes, if you have the MONEY and there are no SALMON anglers about, yeah, you can get a ticket. However, you cannot compare it to a still water as most still waters have stocked fish and good facilities. The Don most of the time you have neither..not that I want stockies mind :) £20 to take away 4 large rainbows is probably good value...£20 to fish a restricted bit of water where Salmon anglers can ruin your day, where there might not be any Trout anyway and no facilities..well..I am sure you know what I mean.

I will state AGAIN though, that if the Don was not so expensive then it probably would not be so good.  :z6

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com