Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Smokers?
« on: 06/02/2011 at 23:03 »
Hi guys :cool:

Which, in your opinion, are the best fish smokers on the market?

Not many folk know how to use these, does anybody fancy giving us an idea of how they work? ..... or better still, some kind of step by step?

Cheers
Mike

Peter McCallum

Re: Smokers?
« Reply #1 on: 07/02/2011 at 08:28 »
Are you talking about portable ones or fixed ones mike?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 07/02/2011 at 08:32 »
I think a bit of info on both would be interesting Peter.

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 07/02/2011 at 09:19 »
Funnily enough...... I just bought what I consider to be one of the better home smokers you can get :cool:
It's a Bradley.
I'd be happy to do a step by step once it's all up and running :z16

H :z3

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 07/02/2011 at 09:55 »
Funnily enough...... I just bought what I consider to be one of the better home smokers you can get :cool:

H, like you'd not buy one of the better ones  :z4

You had a chance to play with it yet?

Ben

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 07/02/2011 at 10:24 »
H, like you'd not buy one of the better ones  :z4

You had a chance to play with it yet?

Ben

No, sadly not yet..... work is getting in the way of domestics at the moment :z6

:z3

Kev Danby

« Reply #6 on: 07/02/2011 at 13:10 »
There was an article in T7S feb issue about smoking, they recommended a smoker made in Devon  http://www.coldsmoker.com/

I have cold smoked myself or at least it feels like that, fish, Cheese, Garlic and chicken and hot smoked fish and chicken.

The Hot smoker is one purchased from GAC i think it is the Ron Thomson one, there are a number on the market of a similar design. This one uses a couple of meths burners. You basically get a stainless steel container which you place the smoking material on the base. close the container light the meths burners wait for it to smoke then place your food in the container. Depending on the size of the food it takes about 15 - 20 mins to cook. I have good success with mackeral and trout and chicken. they stay moist and have a good flavour. I use whisky barrel shavings but have experimented with coriander and cumin seeds and hive some rosemary bushes trashed by the winter to try once i have dried them out. Speyside cooperidge do bags of whisky barrel shavings.

In terms of preparation it brined the mackeral (salt and brown sugar mix) for about an hour the remove pat dry add a dram of whisky then sprinkle with paprika. They are good to eat sraight away and freeze well, I like these with fresh tomato salsa, good bread and red wine or beer (nimbus blonde or innis and gunn).

The chicken went in with no prep they were the thin fillets. This year they may get the chilli, garlic treatment before going in.

The trout had about half an hour brining and i did these with the coriander and cumin added to the shavings they tasted good.

Pros - They are not expensive.  It is easy to set up and small enought to take on a trip. Cooks well but consider using foil to help clean up.

Cons - It is small so can only do a few at a time I did 20 odd fillets of mackeral it takes about the same time as a bottle of red evaporates. You dont have great control.

Cold smoking
I built my own smoker it looked like a coffing but worked, this one fell to bits after about six years (I blame the workmanship) and I now have a small garden shed donated from a trawler skipper who now works offshore. the hardest part for me is getting the shavings to smoulder once you have that sussed you leave it do smoke and check it ever half hour or so.

For cold smoking i prefer to dry cure using salt and brown sugar. this next bit is based on one of those flabby overweight bows of around 10lb. depending on the size of fish you might want to adjust the time left in the salt. Cover the whole fillet (skin and flesh side) and leave overnight or longer I like the flesh to be firm the longer you leave it the more moisture will be drawn from the fish.

Wash off the salt mix and place in your already smoking smoker and leave to smoke.

The tricky part is knowing how long to leave it most of my fish have had arounf 4 - 5 hrs but alot of articles suggest longer. It is all about trial and error and my first few attempts were pretty awful.

After you have smoked the fish it is important to leave for 24 hrs I wrap in cling film and leave it in the fridge. After this time slice thinly and enjoy. Joking aside the large rainbows are excellent for this as they are not as lean as their will counterparts and I find it does help draw the smokey flavour into the flesh.

The Bradley Smoker Hamish has will both hot and cold smoke and you have a good deal more control over the process they also have a wide selection of smoking materials. At some point I'll get one of these probably after i have burnt the shed down.

Hope that is of use

Ben Dixon

« Reply #7 on: 07/02/2011 at 15:29 »
or innis and gunn

A man with taste!!

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #8 on: 07/02/2011 at 19:28 »
some time back I had a "Little Chief" smoker it was decent enough, but keeping the thing clean was a chore, I have an Abu but I use it very little, it is easy enough to make a smoker even a cardboard box would do,you just need some thing to contain the smoke, when I was at the fishing I had a smoker made from fish boxes ( the old Wooden ones)
 but then I had plenty fish to do, getting the brine right is the secret of decent smoking, easgach 1

Noel Kelly

« Reply #9 on: 07/02/2011 at 20:34 »
Great post Kevlard and a timely thread for me. I got a smoker at xmas from santa. Think santa is getting sick of my c&r ways and knew if she bought me something to mess about with then santa will be supplied with fresh smoked trout.

I was just looking at chips here
 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5Kg-OAK-CHIPS-SHAVINGS-HOT-AND-COLD-SMOKING-FOOD-/180621399540?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Food_SM&hash=item2a0ddfd5f4#ht_10625wt_905

do these sound suitable?

Kev Danby

« Reply #10 on: 08/02/2011 at 09:15 »
Those oak chips look good value and should be fine. If you have the type of hot smoker I was talking about use foil in the bottom it helps with the cleaning and it may take a couple of attempts to get the quantity of wood right. I've found you dont need as much as you think. other materials ive used for smoking includes earl grey tea and rice and brown sugar. I've always found wood smoke to be my preference though.

For larger fillets if you dry cure at some stage you will need to remove the pin bones this is best done after you have smoked the fish I use snout nosed pliers I keep a pair specially for this.

Hot smoked trout is good eaten hot or cold and make a fine Tart (men dont eat Quiche).

Peter McCallum

« Reply #11 on: 08/02/2011 at 18:02 »
Best fish I have eaten were a couple of trout from Loch Cul Freoch smoked less than an hour after being caught....no brine...nothing. Sooooooooooooooperb :z13 :z13

paavo

« Reply #12 on: 08/02/2011 at 19:19 »
My friend and neighbor have the best smoker.  :z16 
It´s not on the market. :cool:
//Harri

bracken

« Reply #13 on: 16/02/2011 at 08:19 »
In addition to Kevlard's excellent response above.

I normally use a hot smoker, made by Shakespeare many years ago, which is almost identical to the Fladen, Ron Thompson etc offerings currently available. Having got fed up with meths burners extinguishing at the wrong point when doing a 'run', I now place the smoker on one of the small cheap camping gas stoves. At a stroke this made controlling the heat easy because of the gas control knob.

I use a brine mix with brown sugar, and after some very salty failures, now brine for 2 to 3 hours then pat or lightly rinse and then dry thoroughly on a cake rack when 'her indoors' isn't on watch. You are attempting to get a dry lightly glazed over surface on the fish prior to putting them in the smoker. The results are very good.

Oak shavings are undoubtedly good and so are cherry. You don't need to obtain loose shavings - buying a Bradley shavings 'biscuit' is a good source of fuel and keeps the bulk down for storage. I would advise doing your smoking outside well away from the house - unless you like the smell of burning wood and fish for several days when you are watching TV. The kitchen is probably not the best place if you want to stay married!

I know somebody who uses a Bradley smoker and the results from it are excellent! However, you don't need to spend a lot of money to smoke trout, a small hot-smoker does the job just as well if you are only interested in smoking small quantities.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #14 on: 16/02/2011 at 11:29 »
Great replies guys ..... thanks for posting! :z16

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com