Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Allan Liddle

Don Digs
« on: 04/02/2011 at 23:21 »
Had a request from a fishing pal who's looking at a few of them coming (8-12) up to give the Don a crack in May and was wonderin aboot self caterin digs centered around mid river.  Near a good pub also a requirement.  Any ideas?

Richard Tong

Re: Don Digs
« Reply #1 on: 05/02/2011 at 14:38 »
Dryflee,

We once stayed at Kemnay on a farm with SC digs 01467-642533 contact Gillian Adams. Cannot recall how many it slept but it was 5 minutes from the pub

Richard

Allan Liddle

« Reply #2 on: 05/02/2011 at 14:55 »
Cheers Richard most appreciated.

Planning any visits back up to 'Gods Country in search of the 'Rod Benders'?

I know a couple of spots  :wink

Allan

Richard Tong

Don Digs
« Reply #3 on: 05/02/2011 at 16:17 »
Yeah we'll be back this Spring again and for at least the next 20 years I hope!! We're always interested in any new river (or stretch of a river that we already fish) where specimen Trout lurk. If you pm me with any suggestions I would appreciate it. We've been meaning to get on Spey but haven't managed to yet; Ben has been on with Hamish though I think and they know some good water. The difficulty with Spey and others is that Salmon will always take precedence. Thankfully Don patrons are more enlightened :grin

Richard

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 06/02/2011 at 21:26 »
Might be easier to come down from Strathdon, another good option :wink

http://www.strathdonlodges.co.uk/

Cheers
Mike

Peter McCallum

« Reply #6 on: 06/02/2011 at 21:42 »
The difficulty with Spey and others is that Salmon will always take precedence. Thankfully Don patrons are more enlightened :grin

Richard

You might want to try the Ballindalloch estate on the Avon(pronounced Aan) I fished this a few times in the mid 90's. Only had a couple of fish but both 2.5lbs each. The Ghillie I was friends with also had a mate fishing one of my size 10 march brown spiders who beached a fish Ian estimated at 5lb+.  I also witnessed my mate loosing a trout on a size 12 March Brown Emerger which was probably 4lb. The only caveat on that was I fished before the Salmon came on so it was usually late March/early April and on at least 2 occasions the snow was 12"deep on the banks

Peter

Allan Liddle

« Reply #7 on: 07/02/2011 at 14:08 »
Sadly it still common for the recomendation on the Spey catchment for resident broons to be chapped (A'an included)

Allan

flybox

« Reply #8 on: 07/02/2011 at 15:15 »
Al,

When are you taking me on the river for a chuck??
Oh, and remember those catalogues for the rods etc we talked aboot.

Cheers
Paul

PS Going for a cast weekend after next if you are up for it, any day?

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #9 on: 07/02/2011 at 19:00 »
Sadly it still common for the recomendation on the Spey catchment for resident broons to be chapped (A'an included)

Allan

The fishery board have recommended that all large browns are returned, that has been the case for a number of years now. This is primarily to increase sea trout stocks, most of the large browns are cock fish while most of the sea trout are hens.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #10 on: 08/02/2011 at 00:15 »
The fishery board have recommended that all large browns are returned, that has been the case for a number of years now. This is primarily to increase sea trout stocks, most of the large browns are cock fish while most of the sea trout are hens.

I know i've been helping tag browns for the Fishery Board for the past three or four years now.  Sadly though not everyone shares the same opinion of the browns, in fact i was told i could hire a rod on a beat in prime brown season if i wanted to target them but if i did, (target them and not the salmon) i would not be welcome back on that beat again. :shock

Hopefully this will change in future times but it's the big fish that count on here i'm afraid.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com