Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ewan Lindsay

Monymusk Beats Advice
« on: 04/02/2011 at 20:02 »
Help needed...

A pal and I have booked the Grant Arms for a couple of nights in the 1st week in June for our first attempt at fishing the Don for Brown Trout.

Can anyone advise which beats we should be looking at?  I believe a couple of the beats are smaller and for 2 rods?  Does one of the rods on any Monymusk beat have to be a salmon rod?

Cheers,

Ewan

Mike Barrio

Re: Monymusk Beats Advice
« Reply #1 on: 04/02/2011 at 20:07 »
Hi Ewan

We've always managed to get two or three trout rods on a beat without any questions being asked. As for which beats are best at the time, I would ask the staff at the hotel.

Best wishes
Mike

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #2 on: 04/02/2011 at 20:23 »
Hi Mike,

We did ask the Hotel when we booked but must have asked the wrong person..."er, don't know, I'll have to ask..." was all we got.  :shock

Ewan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 04/02/2011 at 20:27 »
OK, but they are usually pretty helpful :z3

Can forum members drop Ewan a PM with suggestions for a good beat please :z16

Cheers
Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 04/02/2011 at 20:31 »
I;ve fished a few of the beats at Monymusk , i'm crap at remembering the numbers though, the beat just north of the vaillage either side of the bridge is good,

:z18

Jim

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #5 on: 04/02/2011 at 20:37 »
Thanks Jim - much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ewan

Jim Eddie

« Reply #6 on: 04/02/2011 at 20:46 »

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #7 on: 04/02/2011 at 20:57 »
Excellent Map thanks Jim.

Ewan

Ben Dixon

« Reply #8 on: 04/02/2011 at 22:13 »
Hi Ewan,

The beats Jim refers to are beats 6&7, if there are two of you then book one rod on each beat then you effectively have both banks, 7 is one bank, 6 is the other.  My favourite beats are one & two, if pushed I would have to say beat one.  Only problem is that when there are salmon about regardless of water height you are often pelted by spinners from the opposite bank, Castle Forbes & Tilliefoure which can really F*%k things up after you've spent a long time locating something you want to throw at.

Cheers

Ben

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #9 on: 05/02/2011 at 04:00 »
Hi Ben,

Thanks for that - very useful info.  Even thought June is months away, I'm really looking forward to pitching my wits against the wily Don Brownies.

Cheers,

Ewan

Richard Tong

Monymusk Beats Advice
« Reply #10 on: 05/02/2011 at 14:54 »
Ewan,

They are all good. Beats 4 and 5 are relatively short compared to some but have a lot of pocket water and are a challenge to wade I would stick my neck out and say any recognisable pool on the Don around Castle Forbes/ Monymusk will have resident Browns of 3lb + and for a few miles upstream. Undoubtedly you will find the same downstream but I am not familiar with the water there which I hope to rectify.

The Deveron also has some fantastic water and some very large Trout. The trick as always, is to come upon them when they are feeding. Keep mobile and walk the water,or when you know a piece of water well you can stake out a known 'hotspot' and wait for the action to happen.

There is no place I would rather be when they are 'on'!

Richard

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #11 on: 06/02/2011 at 03:15 »
Thanks Richard.

Ewan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com