Hamish Young

Re: General Knowledge - Fly Fishing
« Reply #799 on: 15/02/2021 at 17:06 »
Loch Hope.
Is the correct answer  :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #800 on: 24/02/2021 at 10:49 »
Which brand marketed a special heavyweight, wide gaped hook in sizes 10 & 12 called the 'Hideoshi'?

I think I've still got a pile of them somewhere, left over from tying lures at the fishery :z12

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #801 on: 24/02/2021 at 13:02 »
Would that be Sprite Mike?

I used to buy loads of Sprite hooks from Stevie Parton back in the day.

Eddie

Mike Barrio

« Reply #802 on: 24/02/2021 at 13:08 »
Hi Eddie

Yes, I think I should give you that one .... well done :z16

Hideoshi hooks were marketed by Steve Parton ( Sparton Fishing Tackle ) and were, I believe, manufactured for him by Sprite.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #803 on: 24/02/2021 at 17:42 »
Steve Parton, a legend in the tackle business :z12

I cherish a trade catalogue that he sent me many moons ago and will always remember our lengthy phone conversations, he was simply so much fun :cool:

I doubt we will ever see products like 'Mongolian Gremlin' and 'Steve's Dubious Paste'  again!

And another question for when we need one ......................... What did Steve call his fly floatant product?  :z4

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #804 on: 24/02/2021 at 17:52 »
Ok on the subject of Steve Parton who as Mike said was a legend and left us too young and his catalogues always displayed his wicked sense of humour.

Which company did Steve consult for in rod design and which piece of fishing equipment was Steve pretty much responsible for taking to the UK market?

Quite a few of these innovations are still in use by several forum members that I have fished with.

Eddie

Hamish Young

« Reply #805 on: 27/02/2021 at 12:20 »
Which company did Steve consult for in rod design....
I'm going to say Shakespeare, I'm pretty sure he had a hand in their gear for quite a while.

.... and which piece of fishing equipment was Steve pretty much responsible for taking to the UK market?
The float tube - or belly boat, depending on the terminology you prefer. Some might also say the 'Northampton style' fishing rudder as an off the shelf product was one of many innovations he brought to commercial success but - as this question was 'taking to the UK market' I'll plump for float tube.

H

Hamish Young

« Reply #806 on: 27/02/2021 at 12:21 »
And another question for when we need one ......................... What did Steve call his fly floatant product?  :z4
I think I may have some that dates back to Haddo days  :shock

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #807 on: 27/02/2021 at 16:04 »
H, correct on both counts.

Eddie

Hamish Young

« Reply #808 on: 27/02/2021 at 19:28 »
H, correct on both counts.
Possibly I am a geek......  :z8
I'm going to do one more then leave it for someone else to set a question or three  :z4

So.... who am I :?

I'm one of the most successful casters and instructors ever to come out of the USA, but I'm not that well known in the UK by the majority of anglers unless you happen to own a rod I had a hand in developing.
My competition casting history with both single & double handed fly rods stretches back over 5 decades and I have successfully represented my country at world championship events at home but also in Europe, Japan and South Africa.
I'm probably best known to most as a rod designer and I have been with the same company since its inception.

If I add any more to this, it'll be too easy - although I expect this will be picked up quickly :!

H

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #809 on: 27/02/2021 at 20:35 »
H, is it a mannie from California called Rajeff?

Eddie

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com