Fred Hay

Re: General Knowledge - Fly Fishing
« Reply #766 on: 19/01/2021 at 06:04 »
It's for tying nail knots

Allan Liddle

« Reply #767 on: 21/01/2021 at 22:21 »
Ok my turn, apologies for diving in.

I am American born but ended up more widely recognised under a Scottish name and every single loch angler will have heard of me, who / what am i?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #768 on: 22/01/2021 at 11:38 »
I'm guessing this is going to be a fly .... hmm, but which one  :z8

James Laraway

« Reply #769 on: 22/01/2021 at 11:57 »
If its Allan its bound to be Coo Dung related...

I'm guessing this is going to be a fly .... hmm, but which one  :z8

Mike Barrio

« Reply #770 on: 22/01/2021 at 11:59 »
If its Allan its bound to be Coo Dung related...

:z4  :z4  :z4

Jim Eddie

« Reply #771 on: 22/01/2021 at 20:05 »
Would it be a Muddler Allan ?

:z18

Jim

Steven Kidd

« Reply #772 on: 26/01/2021 at 08:57 »
I am stumped on this one......any clues?

Terry Coging

« Reply #773 on: 26/01/2021 at 10:56 »
I'm stumped too? My immediate thoughts were for a fly pattern such as peter Ross or Kate McLaren but their origins are well documented. Unless Kate was an American?

Allan Liddle

« Reply #774 on: 26/01/2021 at 11:19 »
Sorry guys i'd forgotten i'd posted this and Mike had to send me a message to remind me  :z4

So clue required obviously, how do i do this without making it too obvious or simply an easy Google search.
Funny though as i'd have thought Hamish would have nailed this right away which is a clue in itself  :wink

It is a fly and it was entirely known as something else until a simple addition was made and name changed to the one we know today; that said the one we all know today is in fact more of a direct copy of the original and, if you were to be really really pedantic (i know there are some of you out there :) ) you's say that the name should actually be ????????????? and not ???????????

Practically given it away now  :wink

Hamish Young

« Reply #775 on: 27/01/2021 at 20:24 »
Would it be the Loch Ordie Allan  :?

The common ancestor is an American pattern the 'Bi-visible' which is often credited to a chap called Hewitt, but I suspect it was probably well known amongst the local anglers on his local North American streams before gracing the pages of one his books.

The Loch Ordie, and variants of it, remain some of my favourite 'bob' flies and dapping flies  :z16

H

Allan Liddle

« Reply #776 on: 28/01/2021 at 23:14 »
Correct Mr H  :z16

Hamish Young

« Reply #777 on: 30/01/2021 at 13:39 »
In recent years, and historically, the Awe system has consistently produced more record wild Brown Trout than any other catchment in the UK.
Todays questions are - which other river catchment is the second most successful in producing record wild Brown Trout and which lochs in the system produced those fish :?
Bonus question - what marks one of the fish from the 'mystery' system apart from those caught from the Awe :?
H

Terry Coging

« Reply #778 on: 31/01/2021 at 15:52 »
This is a very interesting question Hamish and so far I can't find the answer.  By 'largest' I assume that we are talking about Ferox? My limited research mentions many Lochs but nothing too specific. Lough Melvin is an interesting one because I have fished it many times and caught a lot of soneghan and gillaroo but not a ferox, which it is famous for.  A German visitor gave our group a ferox steak a couple of years ago. I was from a fish of about 12lb. I was not happy that it had been killed and didn't eat my share.
I would hazard a guess that the other Loch is Ness?
Hope to fish L Awe for the first time ever in June this year when we stay in Oban. I won't be after the ferox though but I will be wafting some of your creations about :wink

Fred Hay

« Reply #779 on: 01/02/2021 at 06:07 »
You've got me stumped too -  I would have thought that the Garry  system used to produce many large trout after they were dammed for hydro and I think the largest loch on the system is the Quoich which did hold the record for the largest trout but without resorting to Google I can't remember if it was a brown or ferox.  Somewhere circa 24lb !!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com