Re: General Knowledge - Fly Fishing
« Reply #720 on: July 07, 2019, 10:11:23 AM »
Invicta

:z18

Steven.

Fred Hay

« Reply #721 on: July 07, 2019, 13:21:13 PM »
How's about 'Invicta' - in its various forms ?

Opps too late !!

Hamish Young

« Reply #722 on: July 07, 2019, 18:14:00 PM »
Invicta is the right answer - well done both  :z16
Someone else can set something now  :wink
“When tired at last, he sat on the bank, while the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea.”

Jim Eddie

« Reply #723 on: July 07, 2019, 20:03:28 PM »
Adams ?

:z18

Jim
"Because in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing what they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion."

Terry Coging

« Reply #724 on: July 09, 2019, 09:14:42 AM »
Invicta?

Hamish Young

« Reply #725 on: July 10, 2019, 19:59:38 PM »
The correct answer was Invicta  :z16

Now, would someone else set a question :? Please :!
“When tired at last, he sat on the bank, while the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea.”

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #726 on: July 10, 2019, 21:28:05 PM »
what firm was the fore runner of Greys of Alnwick? Derek Roxborough

Hamish Young

« Reply #727 on: July 11, 2019, 00:08:19 AM »
Technically I think the forerunner would have to be Hardy Bros., Malcolm Grey left Hardy in '68 to form a new eponymous brand that was  'Greys of Alnwick' but most tackle was simply branded 'Greys'.

A lot of the Greys blanks came from Harrison (if I remember rightly) and they made some super fly rods; I have a custom Greys GPRL 10' 7/8wt which is on 'loan' to my Dad and it's a rod I wont part with - excpet to lend it to Dad...obviously. Sure it's slow and heavy by todays standards, but it's a beast  :z13

Anyway, back to Greys.

Things turned full circle when Hardy bought Greys in 1999... but Malcolm Grey came out of retirement in the 00s and formed 'Malcolm Grey of Alnwick' once again producing fine rods. I believe that was wound up in 2015 or 2016.

H

Mike Barrio

« Reply #728 on: July 11, 2019, 14:57:00 PM »
Quite a few UK tackle brands are now owned by US companies such as Pure Fishing ............. including Hardy and Greys.

http://www.purefishing.com/our-brands/
www.flylineshop.com   At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #729 on: July 11, 2019, 17:05:26 PM »
this was a purely cane rod builder, some say better than Hardy,Derek Roxborough

Hamish Young

« Reply #730 on: July 11, 2019, 19:32:21 PM »
this was a purely cane rod builder, some say better than Hardy...
Hmmm.... rubs chin.... that's maybe a slightly different question to the one I answered.

There was Tom Moran (who passed away in 2014) who ended up working for Hardy Greys about a decade ago but had previously sold direct, worked for Partridge and spent a number of years crafting the finest split cane rods in the 'States with Thomas & Thomas. I saw one of his rods once, just a work of art, truly a great craftsman. But he was hardly a forerunner of Greys of Alnwick.

I'd plump for Walker Bampton, off the cuff they're the only company I think of who made high end split cane rods before Greys were formed in Alnwick.

H

Allan Liddle

« Reply #731 on: July 12, 2019, 13:38:31 PM »
Ha ha, shit yes I totally forgot all about this as I've been so bloody busy recently.

In answer to my original question: Hamish you were close but no cigar as there are two places a good bit further north where a water that eventually runs (under natural flow) into the Moray Firth is within 3 miles of the Atlantic the closest of which is the very head waters of the Upper Cassley above Loch Gorm and the loch directly below this Fionn Loch.  Both have feeder streams that emerge pretty close to Loch Beg, which itself is the upper extension of Loch Glencoul, joining up with Loch Glendubh above Kylesku bridge. 

Anyway no idea on the rod maker so i'll leave this one to you guys, least the thread is back up and running :)

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #732 on: July 12, 2019, 14:51:01 PM »
Walker Bampton, they had the premises before Greys took over, I worked in Alnwick and they were just up the high street, There was another cane builder at Shilbottle and another at Chatton, so you are right Hamish, Derek Roxborough

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

© Copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk all rights reserved

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum