Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Fred Hay

Re: General Knowledge - Fly Fishing
« Reply #720 on: 07/07/2019 at 13:21 »
How's about 'Invicta' - in its various forms ?

Opps too late !!

Hamish Young

« Reply #721 on: 07/07/2019 at 18:14 »
Invicta is the right answer - well done both  :z16
Someone else can set something now  :wink

Jim Eddie

« Reply #722 on: 07/07/2019 at 20:03 »
Adams ?

:z18

Jim

Terry Coging

« Reply #723 on: 09/07/2019 at 09:14 »
Invicta?

Hamish Young

« Reply #724 on: 10/07/2019 at 19:59 »
The correct answer was Invicta  :z16

Now, would someone else set a question :? Please :!

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #725 on: 10/07/2019 at 21:28 »
what firm was the fore runner of Greys of Alnwick? Derek Roxborough

Hamish Young

« Reply #726 on: 11/07/2019 at 00:08 »
Technically I think the forerunner would have to be Hardy Bros., Malcolm Grey left Hardy in '68 to form a new eponymous brand that was  'Greys of Alnwick' but most tackle was simply branded 'Greys'.

A lot of the Greys blanks came from Harrison (if I remember rightly) and they made some super fly rods; I have a custom Greys GPRL 10' 7/8wt which is on 'loan' to my Dad and it's a rod I wont part with - excpet to lend it to Dad...obviously. Sure it's slow and heavy by todays standards, but it's a beast  :z13

Anyway, back to Greys.

Things turned full circle when Hardy bought Greys in 1999... but Malcolm Grey came out of retirement in the 00s and formed 'Malcolm Grey of Alnwick' once again producing fine rods. I believe that was wound up in 2015 or 2016.

H

Mike Barrio

« Reply #727 on: 11/07/2019 at 14:57 »
Quite a few UK tackle brands are now owned by US companies such as Pure Fishing ............. including Hardy and Greys.

http://www.purefishing.com/our-brands/

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #728 on: 11/07/2019 at 17:05 »
this was a purely cane rod builder, some say better than Hardy,Derek Roxborough

Hamish Young

« Reply #729 on: 11/07/2019 at 19:32 »
this was a purely cane rod builder, some say better than Hardy...
Hmmm.... rubs chin.... that's maybe a slightly different question to the one I answered.

There was Tom Moran (who passed away in 2014) who ended up working for Hardy Greys about a decade ago but had previously sold direct, worked for Partridge and spent a number of years crafting the finest split cane rods in the 'States with Thomas & Thomas. I saw one of his rods once, just a work of art, truly a great craftsman. But he was hardly a forerunner of Greys of Alnwick.

I'd plump for Walker Bampton, off the cuff they're the only company I think of who made high end split cane rods before Greys were formed in Alnwick.

H

Allan Liddle

« Reply #730 on: 12/07/2019 at 13:38 »
Ha ha, shit yes I totally forgot all about this as I've been so bloody busy recently.

In answer to my original question: Hamish you were close but no cigar as there are two places a good bit further north where a water that eventually runs (under natural flow) into the Moray Firth is within 3 miles of the Atlantic the closest of which is the very head waters of the Upper Cassley above Loch Gorm and the loch directly below this Fionn Loch.  Both have feeder streams that emerge pretty close to Loch Beg, which itself is the upper extension of Loch Glencoul, joining up with Loch Glendubh above Kylesku bridge. 

Anyway no idea on the rod maker so i'll leave this one to you guys, least the thread is back up and running :)

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #731 on: 12/07/2019 at 14:51 »
Walker Bampton, they had the premises before Greys took over, I worked in Alnwick and they were just up the high street, There was another cane builder at Shilbottle and another at Chatton, so you are right Hamish, Derek Roxborough

Mike Barrio

« Reply #732 on: 06/01/2021 at 09:31 »
Let's continue the out of season fun ....... if we keep it going it'll be a 10 year old quiz  :z4  :z4  :z4

Who wrote the book - Standing in a river waving a stick?

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #733 on: 06/01/2021 at 10:30 »
John Geirach.

And the next question is, which famous reels used to be manufactured in California but are now made by the company that bought them in Montrose Colorado?

Eddie

Mike Barrio

« Reply #734 on: 06/01/2021 at 10:39 »
John Geirach.

And the next question is, which famous reels used to be manufactured in California but are now made by the company that bought them in Montrose Colorado?

Eddie

Great stuff Eddie  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com