Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: General Knowledge - Fly Fishing
« Reply #705 on: 14/12/2013 at 15:46 »
Where would you fish in Aberdeenshire in the middle of December?

Noel Kelly

« Reply #706 on: 14/12/2013 at 16:02 »
Interesting as I hope to go somewhere tomorrow. I normally fish Lochter or Haddo in winter and really like both but maybe its time to try somewhere else. Anywhere fishing particularly well? 

Hamish Young

« Reply #707 on: 14/12/2013 at 16:09 »
Off the wall choice might be Midmar if the weather is still mild and if it's open......
http://www.midmarfishery.co.uk/
Enjoy the photos of a well known forum contributor and pie eater in the gallery pages  :wink

H :cool:

Jim Eddie

« Reply #708 on: 14/12/2013 at 16:22 »
Was going to head out tomorrow, but blowing a hooley and not a good forecast wind wise for Sunday   :z10

:z18

Jim

Noel Kelly

« Reply #709 on: 14/12/2013 at 18:38 »
Off the wall choice might be Midmar if the weather is still mild and if it's open......
http://www.midmarfishery.co.uk/
Enjoy the photos of a well known forum contributor and pie eater in the gallery pages  :wink

H :cool:

ha might just try there. Think I can guess who you mean!

Allan Liddle

« Reply #710 on: 26/06/2019 at 16:50 »
Bump for this old topic and I'm sure there's loads of questions we can dream up yet, so i'll give you  one to get the ball rolling again

If you were to stand at the source of the most western water that eventually flows into the Moray Firth, how close to the Atlantic Ocean would you be?

Hamish Young

« Reply #711 on: 26/06/2019 at 19:03 »
I'll have a go.... if we are talking natural flow then I believe it's possible you'd be within spitting distance of Camusrory,  looking towards Knoydart, down Loch Nevis from the top of the conical munro Sgurr na Ciche.
Here the North Eastern slopes of Sgurr na Ciche fall away into a burn that ends up in Loch Quoich, which then flows to Loch Poulary, then down the Garry system to Loch Oich, down the River Oich to Loch Ness and finally down the River Ness to the Moray Firth.
It's a bloody long way West when you consider that you're roughly three miles to Loch Nevis (a Sea loch) from the top of Sgurr na Ciche, the Minch and thus the Atlantic.

It's a possibility, at least. If we're talking all natural direction of flow.....

H

Hamish Young

« Reply #712 on: 04/07/2019 at 20:47 »
I suspect that Allan has been too busy fishing/talking/tying flies to remember to check on this thread..... so I'll fire another question up there for folk to have a crack at  :wink

Simple enough, identify the fish species from the following information:

1.  This species - in Europe at least - is largely anadromous like Salmon and Sea Trout.
2.  It is now illegal to fish (by rod and line or commercially) for this species in the British Isles.
3.  It remains one of the least understood fishes in Europe, yet was once commonplace and a desirable foodstuff.
4.  This species is not the Sturgeon.

No cheating :! :!

H

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #713 on: 04/07/2019 at 22:30 »
I suspect that Allan has been too busy fishing/talking/tying flies to remember to check on this thread..... so I'll fire another question up there for folk to have a crack at  :wink

Simple enough, identify the fish species from the following information:

1.  This species - in Europe at least - is largely anadromous like Salmon and Sea Trout.
2.  It is now illegal to fish (by rod and line or commercially) for this species in the British Isles.
3.  It remains one of the least understood fishes in Europe, yet was once commonplace and a desirable foodstuff.
4.  This species is not the Sturgeon.

No cheating :! :!

H

Just seen this thread, good possibilities.  :z16  A wild guess from me would be shad.

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #714 on: 05/07/2019 at 04:10 »
Twait Shad?

Eddie

Hamish Young

« Reply #715 on: 05/07/2019 at 10:02 »
A wild guess from me would be shad.

Twait Shad?
Clearly, I made this one far too easy  :wink Yes,  either the Allis Shad or the Twaite Shad would be the correct answer  :z16

I have a soft spot for the Shad, I caught a few fishing on the River Wye nearly 30 years ago when I was a student working with the Welsh National Rivers Authority.  Where our American cousins have Tarpon we have a smaller member of the Herring family, the Shad.  Ah well.....

H

Terry Coging

« Reply #716 on: 05/07/2019 at 17:26 »
I used to catch a lot of Shad on the Wye when Salmon fishing. I had a mobile home near Ross on Wye so spent a lot of time on the river between 20 and 40 years ago. The shad - we called them Summer fish, were abundant and a nuisance when using the big fly rod. They ran to about 1 1/2 lb and in my view were poor eating. I have fished for shad in France a few times on the R Aualne where they ran to over 4lb - a tarpon indeed!  Until about 5 years ago there was no need for a license but now a migratory rod license is required.

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #717 on: 05/07/2019 at 23:06 »
Moons ago, the lower river Towy used to be festooned with the blighters, very annoying when hoping to connect with a fresh sea run brownie.... :X2

Hamish Young

« Reply #718 on: 07/07/2019 at 09:25 »
Until Jeff or Eddie come up with a question....

..... have another from me  :z7

Name the fishing fly.

Which well known tradtional pattern, conceived in the 19th century as a caddis pattern, has spawned flashy derivatives that (alongside the original) still find a place on trout, sea trout and salmon fishers leaders :?
Second clue - a small British car manufacturer (pretty much defunct by WW2) used the same name.

H

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #719 on: 07/07/2019 at 10:11 »
Invicta

:z18

Steven.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com