Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Allan Liddle

Re: General Knowledge - Fly Fishing
« Reply #405 on: 05/03/2011 at 10:22 »
nope on both counts guys.  Keep the guesses comin.

Irvine Ross

« Reply #406 on: 05/03/2011 at 11:15 »
I think you are referring to the Wolf of Badenoch who had a castle on Loch an Eilein. One of his dastardly deeds would have been sacking and burning Elgin and its cathedral but he did a lot more than that. He lived some time around 1350 -1400.

Can't claim the bonus point I'm afraid. Tell us all the gory details.

Irvine

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #407 on: 05/03/2011 at 17:17 »
He lived some time around 1350 -1400.

He did all that in only 10 minutes? ;)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #408 on: 05/03/2011 at 17:19 »
I was famous for terrorising my local area and committed many brutal acts, some of which you can still visit today.  I had several homes but my most famous is still standing on an island on a famous troot loch.

Who am i, when did i live, what bad thing will i be most remembered for, where's that well known 'hoose' of mine and for a real big fat bonus, how and where did i die?

Matt Hayes? ;)

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #409 on: 05/03/2011 at 22:44 »
I think you are referring to the Wolf of Badenoch who had a castle on Loch an Eilein. One of his dastardly deeds would have been sacking and burning Elgin and its cathedral but he did a lot more than that. He lived some time around 1350 -1400.

Can't claim the bonus point I'm afraid. Tell us all the gory details.

Irvine

Also on Loch-in-dorb.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #410 on: 06/03/2011 at 16:10 »
Irvine's almost there with Mr Ritchie getting the hoose location right.

Lochindorb was the famous troot water i was after and Wolf of Badenoch certainly correct, as was the burning of Elgin Cathedral, but castle on Loch an Eilien?  Not quite. He did have a castle in the area but he wouldn't recognise it as another ancient monument has been built on the site.  I was simply going to say where but where's the fun in that?  So where was this (which was also his reported place of death) Big clue: you can see it overlooking the Spey opposite Kingussie at the side of the A9.  If you can't get it from that i'll have to tell you  :z4
And how was he reputed to have died? (Bit of folk lore in this but a good and fitting wee tale none the less  :wink)

Allan

Mike M

« Reply #411 on: 06/03/2011 at 18:24 »
Ruthven barracks/castle?

Allan Liddle

« Reply #412 on: 06/03/2011 at 20:48 »
Ruthven barracks/castle?

Correct.  :z16

Local legend has it the Wolf of Badenoch died in his castle at Ruthven after playing (and losing) the Devil at chess (or was it cards??) one dark and stormy night.  Why is it it's always a dark and stormy night when these things happen?  Why not a damp mild midge infested mid afternoon?  :z4

Ok time for someone else to come up with a question 'cause i've been hogging this too long.  Sorry Guys

Allan

Hamish Young

« Reply #413 on: 08/03/2011 at 08:28 »
OK then.... another one of these:

Which loch am I :?

Few anglers heading north consider me for a visit and pass my waters by - most have no idea I exist.
This is surprising as at around 160 acres, surrounded by quality agricultural land and with an average depth of around 2 metres I am one of the most prolific trout lochs in Easter Ross. Despite this, I am under fished.
One of the reasons I fish well in the early season is my waters are a mere 15 metres above sea level.

So...... which loch am I :z8

H

Jim Eddie

« Reply #414 on: 08/03/2011 at 11:35 »
Loch Eye ?

:z18

Jim

Allan Liddle

« Reply #415 on: 08/03/2011 at 14:07 »
 Jim you beat me to it.

Allan

Hamish Young

« Reply #416 on: 08/03/2011 at 14:46 »
Loch Eye ?

Correct - well done Jim :z16

Over to you :cool:
:z3

Jim Eddie

« Reply #417 on: 08/03/2011 at 17:41 »
Locals call them "Tyees" but what do we more commonly know them as ?

Jim

Peter McCallum

« Reply #418 on: 08/03/2011 at 17:59 »
Chinook or King Salmon??

Jim Eddie

« Reply #419 on: 08/03/2011 at 18:08 »
Correct Peter  :z16

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com