« Reply #392 on: 02/03/2011 at 20:17 »
The Kingdom of Bhutan it is , stocked with Leven troot  :z16

:z18

Jim

Allan Liddle

Re: General Knowledge - Fly Fishing
« Reply #393 on: 03/03/2011 at 09:21 »
Joker

How did these leven troots get into these high mountain lochs and by whom?

Alex Burnett

« Reply #394 on: 03/03/2011 at 12:38 »
Probably the Victorians as they did else where in the world, eggs frozen & placed in wooden crates with straw, which were then shipped around the world, a similar thing was done in Australia at a place called the Salmon Ponds in Tasmania.

Alex

Allan Liddle

« Reply #395 on: 03/03/2011 at 13:12 »
Aye ok that explains how the leven strain fish got into Bhutan, but how specifically did they get into these high lochs?

I'll give you a clue, it was explained in the 'Accidental Angler'  :wink

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #396 on: 03/03/2011 at 18:35 »
loch Leven trout round here were taken up by pony in panniers, when were Brook trout introduced into the UK? easgach1

Allan Liddle

« Reply #397 on: 04/03/2011 at 14:07 »
loch Leven trout round here were taken up by pony in panniers, when were Brook trout introduced into the UK? easgach1

Wrong.  It was actually convicts who were given the task as punishment and carried the fish in bags on thier backs apparently  :shock.

Circa 1880's Derek?  A couple of our upland lochs have them as a naturally regenerating spiecies now from previous stocks of many moons ago.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #398 on: 04/03/2011 at 14:15 »
there are believed to pre Ice age trout and post Ice age trout in some lochs, but round here the high hill lochs were stocked every 3 years by the wagon coming from Howietoun and then locals taking them up with a garron and 2 milkchurns,I know of some lochs that were stocked like this as recently as the late 20's, and our club lochs were stocked this way , why do you think " Loch Leven" trout are any different from other trout?or is this some sort of deja vu?
 ??? easgach 1

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #399 on: 04/03/2011 at 14:22 »
1864 for England and 1870 for the local upland lochans, never heard the one about convicts, no mention of it in " 100
years in the highlands" or" Pigeon holes of memory"It may be my PC but I dont get the posts right away, which is why I seem to be playing catchup  ???  easgach 1

Jim Eddie

« Reply #400 on: 04/03/2011 at 15:23 »
1864 for England and 1870 for the local upland lochans, never heard the one about convicts, no mention of it in " 100
years in the highlands" or" Pigeon holes of memory"It may be my PC but I dont get the posts right away, which is why I seem to be playing catchup  ???  easgach 1

Your getting your wires crossed , the stocking by convicts was the trout in Bhutan.

:z18

Jim

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #401 on: 04/03/2011 at 19:06 »
sorry jedi it was dry flee that posted about the convicts stocking the high hill lochs, not guilty,easgach 1

Allan Liddle

« Reply #402 on: 05/03/2011 at 02:36 »
sorry jedi it was dry flee that posted about the convicts stocking the high hill lochs, not guilty,easgach 1

Crossed wires Derek, Jim's right i was refering to the Bhutan question, not your local reply, sorry for the confusion.
Guilty for not reading your post correctly.

Allan

PS

I was famous for terrorising my local area and committed many brutal acts, some of which you can still visit today.  I had several homes but my most famous is still standing on an island on a famous troot loch.

Who am i, when did i live, what bad thing will i be most remembered for, where's that well known 'hoose' of mine and for a real big fat bonus, how and where did i die?

Easy.... :wink

Peter Rawlinson

« Reply #403 on: 05/03/2011 at 05:52 »
Duke of Cumberland ?

Dutchfly

« Reply #404 on: 05/03/2011 at 09:07 »
Mary Stuart had a 'hoose' on Loch Leven. She was hung on february 8th 1587  "in the Great Hall of Fotheringhay between the hours of nine and ten in the morning." Didn't she try to kill the Queen?

CU

Jeroen

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com