Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Offthebard

Re: General Knowledge - Fly Fishing
« Reply #330 on: 21/02/2011 at 15:07 »
Allan, you've just pointed out something to me that I've done for years and never given it a second thought.

My wife always found Loch Lochy peculiar because I always used the name first followed by loch and this stood out as totally contrary. Married an English Maid you see and its all foreign to her :z4.

Any way back to your question and I wondered about Sumbrugh.

Sandy B.   

Irvine Ross

« Reply #331 on: 21/02/2011 at 16:05 »
Sorry Alan but Cairngorm is one of the possible correct answers. All the high plateau is classified as Arctic-alpine tundra

The Cairngorm National Park website says

"In the Cairngorms National Park, altitude is an obvious and key factor controlling habitats and species found. It has had the effect of dividing the Park into two ecological zones:

* the sub-arctic (or arctic–alpine) tundra zone;
    * the temperate , boreal forest zone.

The transition between these zones can be seen well in Glen Clunie (by Glen Shee) at the foot of Meall Odhar.

Around the Cairngorms, the point of transition varies from 600 to 900 m, depending on snow cover, exposure and the kind of ground. A change in the plants and animals found often occurs at about 750 m."

Arctic tundra at lower altitudes is characterised by permafrost and I don't think that occurs on any of the northern isles.

Irvine

Peter Rawlinson

« Reply #332 on: 21/02/2011 at 17:37 »
Parts of St Kilda are described as tundra .  All depends on the definition of  ' tundra.'

Hamish Young

« Reply #333 on: 21/02/2011 at 18:01 »
Allan - I've 'tweaked' your last post in order that Mr B doesn't feel persecuted for things I've said :z7

Yes, the definition of what tundra is (or isn't) in this context appears to be killing things a smidgen.
Arguably, large tracts of upland Scotland or indeed the isles could readily be classed as semi-Alpine tundra which is what I've always known it as.
That description Irvine has posted courtesy of the Cairngorm National Park website works for me :z16

Supplementary clue needed :z17

I'd always known Orkney & Shetland as the 'Orkneys or Shetlands' when not including islands in the name, so will make every effort to get that right from now on :shock

:z3

Allan Liddle

« Reply #334 on: 21/02/2011 at 21:51 »
Allan - I've 'tweaked' your last post in order that Mr B doesn't feel persecuted for things I've said :z7

Yes, the definition of what tundra is (or isn't) in this context appears to be killing things a smidgen.
Arguably, large tracts of upland Scotland or indeed the isles could readily be classed as semi-Alpine tundra which is what I've always known it as.
That description Irvine has posted courtesy of the Cairngorm National Park website works for me :z16

Supplementary clue needed :z17

I'd always known Orkney & Shetland as the 'Orkneys or Shetlands' when not including islands in the name, so will make every effort to get that right from now on :shock

No probs Hamish and yes certainly agree with the Cairngorm description, perhaps the Shetland description is more apt given it's above the 62 degree north line (well most of it anyway)?

So to clear up the confusion lets tweak the question to, 'What's the highest point of the Shetland Isles?'
There you go i've given it away now.  :z7  No Google cheats though. :wink

Peter Rawlinson

« Reply #335 on: 22/02/2011 at 09:04 »
Well I have been to Unst which was a cold miserable place , seen Muckle  Flugga on the TV , never been to Ronas Hill ( which I googled ) .

So will go for Unst .  :z6

Allan Liddle

« Reply #336 on: 22/02/2011 at 15:49 »
Nope, not Unst, however maybe if you'd trusted Google??? :wink

Alex Burnett

« Reply #337 on: 23/02/2011 at 15:21 »
The highest point in the Shetland Islands Archipelago is Ronas Hill

Alex

Peter Rawlinson

« Reply #338 on: 24/02/2011 at 07:54 »
OK Now for an easy one ...... joker played.......

Where is this place ? On the shore  of a Scottish loch .    :-

The house is a long low building. I set apart the south-western half for my work. The largest room has a bow window and here I made my door and constructed the terrace and lodge. Inside the room I set up my oratory proper. This was a wooden structure, lined in part with the big mirrors which I brought from London.

Clue - it is a famous loch with good fishing .

Alex Burnett

« Reply #339 on: 24/02/2011 at 13:25 »
OK Now for an easy one ...... joker played.......

Where is this place ? On the shore  of a Scottish loch .    :-

The house is a long low building. I set apart the south-western half for my work. The largest room has a bow window and here I made my door and constructed the terrace and lodge. Inside the room I set up my oratory proper. This was a wooden structure, lined in part with the big mirrors which I brought from London.

Clue - it is a famous loch with good fishing .

Bit presumptuous playing the joker Singingpete Dryflee hasn't confirmed any answer as correct YET!!!!!!

Joker can be played as below:

PS: If somebody gets the answer right but has not posted a new question within 15 minutes of getting the go ahead ...... anybody that wishes can play "the joker card" and jump in with the next question

Allan Liddle

« Reply #340 on: 24/02/2011 at 13:48 »
Yup Google cheat Pete gave tha game away but correct answer confirmed by Catman.

I'll leave it up to you guys to sort out who goes next?

Alex Burnett

« Reply #341 on: 24/02/2011 at 13:56 »
Pete's question stands as next question just wanted to point out that the answer had not been confirmed by you.

Alex

Hamish Young

« Reply #342 on: 24/02/2011 at 14:50 »
Where is this place ? On the shore  of a Scottish loch .    :-

That would most probably be Boleskin House near Foyers on the shores (well, not really but close enough) of Loch Ness, it just so happens I visited it last year - perhaps an unfair advantage :wink
Didn't know it was one of Jimmy Pages 'pads' in the Highlands until I was there.

Peter Rawlinson

« Reply #343 on: 24/02/2011 at 18:33 »
Correct Hamish , it is an interesting but scary place . I have stayed in the gatehouse a few times  and it is wierd .  :shock

Apologies if I jumped the gun playing a joker but I thought the answer was confirmed in my previous post - I googled so my answer was not valid .   :z8

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #344 on: 24/02/2011 at 20:02 »
Something to do with Aleister Crowley perhaps? easgach1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com