Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Alex Burnett

Re: General Knowledge - Fly Fishing
« Reply #315 on: 19/02/2011 at 06:27 »
I used to go clay pigeon shooting at Glenn Rinnes , do not remember the river being called that - think it is Dullan River .

Aye yer right Pete, it's called Dullan Water which flows into the Fiddich then into the Spey.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #316 on: 19/02/2011 at 21:05 »
Aberlour, ok i'll give you that as a bonus along with the Knockando and Mundole, but not the ones i was looking for as sport on these pretty patchy. Tromie yes and Dullan certainly but still leaves four more.

Tributaries of Tributaries count remember. :wink

Keep guessing

Peter Rawlinson

« Reply #317 on: 19/02/2011 at 23:28 »
River Eidart , Druie , Erict  and Dobrack ????

Then I give up .

Alex Burnett

« Reply #318 on: 20/02/2011 at 08:21 »
OK last go...

Markie Burn, Mashie Water, Allt Breakachy, Truim, Calder, Kingussie Burn, Tromie,
Raitts Burn, Feshie, Druie, Glenmore, Milton Burn, Nethy, Strath Nethy, Dulnan,
Craggan Burn, Cromdale Burn, Dellifur Burn, Tulchan Burn, Gheallaidh Burn, Avon,
Allt Arder, Knockando Burn, Ballintomb Burn, Carron Burn, Aberlour Burn, Fiddich,
Red or Orbliston Burn.

Alex

Allan Liddle

« Reply #319 on: 20/02/2011 at 10:40 »
OK last go...

Markie Burn, Mashie Water, Allt Breakachy, Truim, Calder, Kingussie Burn, Tromie,
Raitts Burn, Feshie, Druie, Glenmore, Milton Burn, Nethy, Strath Nethy, Dulnan,
Craggan Burn, Cromdale Burn, Dellifur Burn, Tulchan Burn, Gheallaidh Burn, Avon,
Allt Arder, Knockando Burn, Ballintomb Burn, Carron Burn, Aberlour Burn, Fiddich,
Red or Orbliston Burn.
Alex

Nope still missing four, or at least the four i'm looking for.  :wink  The red ones were never required, given sport on these is rather patchy. :cool:

final clue:  Not as far down as Aberlour, or as far upstream as Grantown, given it away now :z4

Allan Liddle

« Reply #320 on: 20/02/2011 at 19:56 »
No more takers?

Ok the missing waters are.........................drum roll....................................

Avon (Aan) tributaries Conglass, Chaibet, Lochy and Ailnack.

So for  a follow up question.........

Where is the only part of the British Isles that is officially designated as Tundra?  :z8

Peter McCallum

« Reply #321 on: 20/02/2011 at 20:13 »
shetland

bruce

« Reply #322 on: 20/02/2011 at 20:16 »
its got to be Methlick :z4 :z4 :z4

Jim Eddie

« Reply #323 on: 20/02/2011 at 20:21 »
No Bruce Methlick is the land that time forgot  :z4 :z4 :z4

Good guess though  :z4

Is it the Flow country in Caithness ?

:z18

Jim

Allan Liddle

« Reply #324 on: 20/02/2011 at 20:24 »
Too general Peter.
Sorry Jim not the Flow Country, but good guess.

Given that Scotland has a lot of exposed high areas there are certainly several places that could hold this title, but there's only one that has been officially refered as tundra.

So specific name of area please.

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #325 on: 20/02/2011 at 22:28 »
Cairngorm.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #326 on: 20/02/2011 at 23:58 »
Sorry not Cairngorm

Hamish Young

« Reply #327 on: 21/02/2011 at 08:51 »
OK, tricky. I thought it would have to be Alpine Tundra, so I'd also have guessed at the Cairngorms as they kind of fit the description of tundra I remember from geography lessons at school :z8

The stab in the dark for me would be Hoy in the Orkneys, if I remember rightly it's one of the very few places in the Orkneys which still has woodland and again (back to school days :!) I think a tree line is needed to mark where tundra begins/ends :?

I'm not sure. Thinking cap on for this one Allan  :wink

:z3

Peter McCallum

« Reply #328 on: 21/02/2011 at 11:16 »
Too general Peter.

Fugla Ness Shetland

Allan Liddle

« Reply #329 on: 21/02/2011 at 14:59 »
Close Mike but not close enough, very close Peter but still not close enough  :wink

I think, Mike Hamish, it's the actual make up of the ground (inc vegetation and plant species?) that's used in this location to qualify as Tundra???  What i was informed anyway.

Give it that the area is very exposed to an almost continual blast of wind is the deciding factor and, along with the poor (and thin) soil content here, is what's shaped it this way.

No more clues except to say it's certainly on a northern isle.

By the way Hamish Mike the treeline in Orkney is on the mainland, just along from Finstown in a small glen allowing enough shelter for them to get a hold.  There is another called Happy Valley close by but i think this is entirely man made and certainly maintained.
Oh and the collective name for these islands is Orkney, or Shetland, not the Orkneys and Shetlands.  And they tend to put the Waters name before description, IE Harray Loch, Swanney Loch, Spiggie Loch etc.  I know this as i've been corrected enough times up there.   :z4 :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com