Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: General Knowledge - Fly Fishing
« Reply #240 on: 16/02/2011 at 11:06 »
Had a look on the Helmsdale website for clues http://www.helmsdale.org/fishing/fishing.html and I see they record the first fish was from Park pool ...... so is the connection "Park"?

Cheers
Mike

« Reply #241 on: 16/02/2011 at 11:41 »

Not much good at this general knowledge :z8  but learning plenty keep it up :z4

Henry

Jim Eddie

« Reply #242 on: 16/02/2011 at 13:05 »
Correct Mike

The 25lb Salmon was from the Park beat on the Dee and the Helmsadle one was from the Park pool.

:z18

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #243 on: 16/02/2011 at 13:15 »
Great stuff Jim ...... OK, here's another easy one :wink

"The great error of fly-fishing, as usually practised, and as recommended to be practised by books, is that the angler fishes down stream whereas he should fish up ........"

This is a quote from a well known Scottish angler and author ...... What is his name?

Cheers
Mike

Irvine Ross

« Reply #244 on: 16/02/2011 at 13:32 »
W C Stewart?

Noel Kelly

« Reply #245 on: 16/02/2011 at 13:40 »
Bob Wyatt? Scottish?

Allan Liddle

« Reply #246 on: 16/02/2011 at 13:58 »
Canne mind ever writing that? :z4 :z4 :z4
Ok hands up i qualify on the Scottish bit but the writing and great are certainly pushing it too far.... :z4

I think it was RC Bridgett?

Allan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #247 on: 16/02/2011 at 14:35 »
W C Stewart?

Well done Irvine ....... Over to you :z16

In The Practical Angler (1857) W. C. Stewart went on to write: "The first and greatest advantage is, that the angler is unseen by the trout ...... The next advantage of fishing up we shall notice, is the much greater probability of hooking a trout when it rises ..... Another advantage of fishing up is, that it does not disturb the water so much ..... and the last advantage of fishing up is, that by it, the angler can much better adapt the motions of his flies to those of the natural insect."

Now considering the way that anglers fished in those days, this was awesome! Not only was W. C. Stewart suggesting that anglers fish their wet flies like spiders upstream, but he was doing so nearly 30 years before Halford wrote Floating Flies And How To Dress Them, which told anglers to fish dry flies and to fish them upstream! :wink 

Irvine Ross

« Reply #248 on: 16/02/2011 at 14:53 »
OK.  Who had a book on fishing north country style spiders published in 1994

Alex Burnett

« Reply #249 on: 16/02/2011 at 15:14 »
I think it might have been Dave Hughes but I could be wrong.

In 1975 Sylvester Nemes began the re-introduction of sorts to traditional North Country spider patterns, including Pritts original North Country spiders, with the book The Soft-Hackled Fly. This book along with a string of others have kept traditional soft hackled spider patterns alive and well in the fly fishing community while introducing some innovative patterns to a new generation of fly anglers.  Most recently Dave Hughes, who knew Pete Hidy, has kept the tradition of flymphs alive. In 1994 he wrote Wet Flies: Tying and Fishing Soft-Hackles, Winged and Wingless Wets, and Fuzzy Nymphs. This book has detailed descriptions of how to tie and fish fly patterns from Leisenring, Hidy, and Polly Rosborough.

Alex

Dutchfly

« Reply #250 on: 16/02/2011 at 15:50 »
Had to look it up in my copy of Fly Fishing - The North Country Tradition: Leslie Magee.

My question is: who designed the Hendrickson dry fly?

CU

Jeroen

Peter McCallum

« Reply #251 on: 16/02/2011 at 16:20 »
La Branche

Alex Burnett

« Reply #252 on: 17/02/2011 at 12:16 »
The American Roy Steenrod way back in 1915

Alex

Dutchfly

« Reply #253 on: 17/02/2011 at 14:42 »
Correct  :z16
He designed the fly for one of his customers, A.E. Hendrickson, who was a regular guest at the River View Inn. This inn was owned by the Ferdon family. Winnie Ferdon married Walt Dette and together they became famous for their Catskill flies. (great book by Eric Leiser: The Dettes, a Catskill Legend)

Over to you, Alex!

CU

Jeroen

Alex Burnett

« Reply #254 on: 17/02/2011 at 15:24 »
OK her goes two part question;

What is the Latin name for the Mayfly & how many spiecies are there in Britain alone?

Alex

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com