Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Peter McCallum

Re: General Knowledge - Fly Fishing
« Reply #150 on: 11/02/2011 at 14:53 »
Almost hesitate to propose this but... :z6 I read it was the Ram's Urine & Sheep Ticks' Feaces from the wool takenfrom the Rams' nether regions!  I believe they also used to use unborn seals' fur dyed red too... :shock

Ewan

Not quite though your in the right region.... :shock oooo errrr missus

Alex Burnett

« Reply #151 on: 11/02/2011 at 18:14 »
I'm with Big Daddy

Taken from the discription of a tying for the Tups Indespensable.

The Body: A little fine wool from the ram’s testicles, which is of a beautiful dusty yellow.

Alex

Peter McCallum

« Reply #152 on: 11/02/2011 at 18:33 »
Seems it was from the dye that was used to show when the ram had done it's job - a red stain on the ladies back showed the tup had indeed been indespensible.

I'll go with you guys though.

Over to you big daddy

Hamish Young

« Reply #153 on: 11/02/2011 at 18:43 »
Seems it was from the dye that was used to show when the ram had done it's job - a red stain on the ladies back showed the tup had indeed been indespensible.

I'd buy that Peter, that's what I would have suggested  :cool:

:z3

Peter McCallum

« Reply #154 on: 11/02/2011 at 18:55 »
I'd buy that Peter, that's what I would have suggested  :cool:

£50 and its yours Hamish :z4 :z4 :z12

Alex Burnett

« Reply #155 on: 11/02/2011 at 19:17 »
Interesting read this
'I told Mr. Austin that I thought the fly deserved a title, and in his reply he asked what I suggested.  I replied that there was “So and So’s Infallible”, So and So’s Irresistible”, and so on – “Why not ‘Tup’s Indispensable’?"    He said he did not care to name it and for the moment the matter dropped.

'The essential part of this dubbing is the highly translucent wool from the indispensable part of a Tup, thoroughly washed and cleansed of the natural oil of the animal.  This wool would by itself be, like seal’s fur, somewhat intractable and difficult to spin on the tying silk, but an admixture of the pale pinkish and very filmy fur from an English hare’s poll had the effect of rendering it easy to work.  There was also in the original pattern an admixture of cream coloured seal’s fur and combings from a lemon yellow spaniel, and the desired dominating colour was obtained by working in a small admixture of red mohair.  For the mohair I generally substituted seal’s fur, and I believe Mr. Austin did so himself.  When wet the Tup’s wool becomes somehow illuminated throughout by the colour of the seal’s fur or mohair, and the entire effect of the body is extraordinarily filmy and insect-like.

Ok this is a description from Austin himself.
'In an unpublished volume of his favourite dressings Mr. Austin described the pattern in the following terms:
No. 28 - The Red Spinner

'This is a hackled fly tied with yellow silk on a N. 00 Sneck bend hook. It is made with a body sparsely dressed, of a mixture of white ram’s wool and lemon coloured Spaniel’s fur in equal parts, and a little fur from a hare’s poll, and sufficient red mohair to give the mixture a pinkish shade.  It is hackled with a yellow spangled lightish blue cock’s hackle and has whisks of the same colour.'

Sometime around 1890 Austin put together a manuscript of dry fly fishing on the Exe and other North Devon streams, which unfortunately was never published.  However W.H. Lawrie, in his classic work, “A Reference Book of English Trout Flies”, 1967, does in fact give a list of the flies from that manuscript but failed to give further information of its contents.

Interestingly, the pattern given for the Tups is called, simply, the Red Spinner, for it was to be quite a few years later that the fly became know as the Tup’s Indispensable.

Alex

Alex Burnett

« Reply #156 on: 11/02/2011 at 19:21 »
The reason I was sceptical is that farmers sometimes use several Rams & each Ram will have a different colour used to represent it so that it is obvious later which Ram was used on which Ewe.

Alex

Alex Burnett

« Reply #157 on: 11/02/2011 at 20:06 »
As Big Daddy seams to be unavailable ****Joker Played*****

On the same theme as the last question but a Tad easier.

Why was a Jersey Herd called a Jersey Herd in other
words where or what did it get it's name from.

Alex

Dave Mundie

« Reply #158 on: 11/02/2011 at 22:13 »
The inventor Tom Ivens used the foil from his milk bottles for the body of the fly and the milk was from a Jersey Herd.

Dave

Alex Burnett

« Reply #159 on: 11/02/2011 at 23:12 »
Absolutely spot on Dave :z16

Wonder if anyone still gets their milk delivered in bottles with Gold Tops.

Over to you Dave....

Alex

Dave Mundie

« Reply #160 on: 12/02/2011 at 08:56 »
Recently a local guy showed Rebecca Morelle how to do something but what and who was it?

Dave

Hamish Young

« Reply #161 on: 12/02/2011 at 09:13 »
Trapping mink with Jamie Urquhart :?

Dave Mundie

« Reply #162 on: 12/02/2011 at 09:21 »
Trapping mink with Jamie Urquhart :?

Spot on Hamish :z16

Over to you

Hamish Young

« Reply #163 on: 12/02/2011 at 09:51 »
OK..... something a wee bit different, for those with longer memories think of the cheesy 'going for gold theme' :z4

Who am I :?

I have held a world champion casting title three times, but have retired from competitive distance casting.

Amongst other brands, I have been associated with Bruce & Walker and Daiwa.

I am most closely associated with a river in the Highlands, where I was a ghillie for over 20 years.

My name is not Ally Gowans.

Irvine Ross

« Reply #164 on: 12/02/2011 at 14:17 »
I think that would be Scott Mackenzie

Irvine

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com