I'd guess at the Morriston?

Peter Rawlinson

Re: General Knowledge - Fly Fishing
« Reply #31 on: 05/02/2011 at 05:40 »
I think it is the river Ness .

Hamish Young

« Reply #32 on: 05/02/2011 at 08:33 »
Strikes me that the common link is the Caledonian Canal, so let's look at the well known rivers in the system:

It cannot be the River Ness as it flows out to the Beauly Firth as a river in its own right and does not feed the Caledonian Canal with water, although Loch Ness does form part of the canal.

It cannot be the River Lochy as it flows into Loch Linnhe as a river in it own right and does not feed the canal with water although Loch Lochy does form part of the canal.

As the canal draws its principal water supply from the lochs that make up the system (Lochy, Oich, Ness and Dochfour) a reasonable argument would be that it's one of the rivers that feed into Loch Ness, Loch Oich or Loch Lochy..... but it cannot be one of the rivers that feeds Loch Ness as water from the canal comes down into Loch Ness at Fort Augustus via the lock system.

That also neatly excludes Loch Lochy which means it can only be a river that feeds water into the canal system at the canals highest point above sea level and one where, potentially, water could go either SW to Fort William or NE to Inverness.

So that means it can only be the River Garry that feeds Loch Oich as Loch Oich is the highest point in the canal system.

:z3

Allan Liddle

« Reply #33 on: 05/02/2011 at 09:15 »
Nope still no right guys.  Hamish is starting to think along the right lines regarding interference from man, but not a canal.

However now i've given that clue i not only need the river name but also details of cause

Hamish Young

« Reply #34 on: 05/02/2011 at 09:49 »
In that case I'd have to plump for the Spey as the river (albeit loosely the Spey) and the Lochaber hydro-electric scheme that was set up to provide the electricity required for the aluminium smelting plant at Fort William.

To provide the necessary water for the hydro scheme a number of dams and tunnels were built, the link is between Loch Treig and Loch Laggan. Water from the Spey was diverted to Laggan and then via tunnel to Treig,  the water supply comes through miles of pipe from Treig to the Alcan works at Fort William (you can't miss the pipes coming down off Ben Nevis) and enter the River Lochy at a spot called the 'Tailrace' where I've had many a battle with Salmon.

If that's not it I'm scunnered  :cool:

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #35 on: 05/02/2011 at 11:00 »
I'll have a punt at the Forth?? :roll

Paul :z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #36 on: 05/02/2011 at 12:46 »
Do the North Sea and the Atlantic Ocean meet, or is the North Sea part of the Atlantic Ocean? :z3

It's a while since I last went to school :z4

Cheers
Mike

Peter Rawlinson

« Reply #37 on: 05/02/2011 at 14:16 »
Final answer = River Tummel

The River Tummel runs a picturesque 58-mile course from Loch Rannoch to the River Tay in Perthshire, passing through Pitlochry, which includes a salmon ladder at Pitlochry Dam. 

The Tummel is a dam release river . The upper Tummel flows from Dunlastair Water (E of Kinloch Rannoch) into Loch Tummel and the Lower Tummel flows out from Loch Tummel to Loch Faskally near Pitlochry, etc , etc .

If not, give up .

Allan Liddle

« Reply #38 on: 05/02/2011 at 14:51 »
Correct Hamish go to the top of the class  :z16

Spey through abstraction at the Spey Dam flows through Loch Crudichan (sp? close enough :z4) then vis Loch Laggan and the Spean out to the Atlantic, as well as directly down Strathspey to the North Sea.

The only hydro abstraction of a major water way that runs out east and west as all the others i know of run out into the same body of salt (albiet often in two different locations) or back into thier original system after a wee detour (Upper Garry eg)

Right Hamish your turn fur the next question.

Allan

Hamish Young

« Reply #39 on: 05/02/2011 at 15:54 »
Cool  :cool:

I'll make it an easy one  :wink

Which is the shortest river on mainland Scotland and why is it not the shortest river in all of Scotland :?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #40 on: 05/02/2011 at 17:50 »
Is that the Morar Hamish? ...... I think the Scavaig on Skye is the shortest?

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #41 on: 05/02/2011 at 18:57 »
Well done Mr B  :z16

Over to you  :wink

Mike Barrio

« Reply #42 on: 05/02/2011 at 21:08 »
Cool .... Cheers Hamish :z16

Where is this photo?

Cheers
Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #43 on: 05/02/2011 at 21:34 »
Is it the Don at the bridge from Inverurie to Port Elphinstone ?

:z18

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #44 on: 05/02/2011 at 21:37 »
Aye, running a bit higher than normal ..... well done Jim :z16

Over to you ....................

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com