Alan,
          Get off to your bed  Min.
Paul.

:-)

Hamish Young

Re: General Knowledge - Fly Fishing
« Reply #77 on: 08/02/2011 at 08:44 »
Henri Bresson  :cool:
Not only was he a cheese eating surrender monkey he also knew far too much about ducks arses  :z4

:z3

Hamish Young

« Reply #78 on: 08/02/2011 at 09:40 »
Working on the assumption that was the right answer..... I'll pop up another question and it's pretty easy to keep the ball rolling.

When I started to take a really serious interest in fly fishing there were 'legends' regularly producing articles in Trout Fisherman magazine, a publication my father had largely dismissed as 'the trawlermans journal' largely because of regular articles describing a method of using leeboards and rudders incorporated called the 'Northampton Style'. The techniques that were developed then - over 30 years ago - are still worth knowing and a skill set the 'big loch' fisher should know a thing or two about :wink I digress.

Anyway, Steve Parton wrote a book that is as valuable today as it was when it was first published for the larger stillwater fisher titled "Boat fishing for trout" which includes heavy reference to techniques he learnt directly and indirectly from the 'source' of the Northampton Style.

The question is, who is credited with being the creator of the Northampton Style :?

Graeme Gauld

« Reply #79 on: 08/02/2011 at 09:46 »
bob church

Hamish Young

« Reply #80 on: 08/02/2011 at 09:54 »
It's a good guess - but it's not the right answer  :wink

Iain Goolager

« Reply #81 on: 08/02/2011 at 10:11 »
G.E.M Skues?

:roll

Hamish Young

« Reply #82 on: 08/02/2011 at 10:17 »
Nice answer - but it's not right  :z4

Paul Rankine

« Reply #83 on: 08/02/2011 at 12:25 »
Hi Hamish,
                  Aye of course you're right.  Peter sorry didn't mean to circumvent the rules ,I should have read them first :oops

My guess is Dave Shipman ??????

Paul.

Peter Rawlinson

« Reply #84 on: 08/02/2011 at 12:31 »
Dick Shrive  ?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #85 on: 08/02/2011 at 12:32 »
Hi Hamish ...... I read Steve's book a few years ago, can I guess Richard Holmes, I think he designed the rudders?

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #86 on: 08/02/2011 at 13:05 »
Dick Shrive  ?

Dick Shrive is indeed the right answer :z16 Although one of a group who revolutionised stillwater trout fishing with some distinctly lateral thinking and some creative rule bending, Dick Shrive was years ahead of many and is rightly credited as the man who 'created' the Northampton Style.
Leeboards were his thing and he popularised the use of rudders too - albeit Mr B is quite right, Dick Shrive didn't come up with the first designs of fishing rudder.
I'll be using some of those techniques this year..... I'll post the results :wink
Over to you singingpete  :cool:

H  :z3

Hamish Young

« Reply #87 on: 08/02/2011 at 18:17 »
****** Joker card*******

Why was the 22nd of May 2002 an important date for fly-fishers in Aberdeenshire (and beyond) :?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #88 on: 08/02/2011 at 18:26 »
22nd of May 2002 was the day Ethiopia put into operations its plan to irradicate the Tsetse fly.

Welllll..it had to do with flies...closest I could find in Google ;)

Dave Mundie

« Reply #89 on: 08/02/2011 at 18:31 »
****** Joker card*******

Why was the 22nd of May 2002 an important date for fly-fishers in Aberdeenshire (and beyond) :?

What about the day that haddo opened?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com