Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Allan Liddle

Re: General Knowledge - Fly Fishing
« Reply #600 on: June 27, 2013, 00:25:30 AM »
I'm stumped with this one, haven't even got a crappy cheap joke answer, hang on is it a Mr A Shrimp?

Jim Eddie

« Reply #601 on: June 27, 2013, 07:50:48 AM »
Jerome,
Was it Richard Waddington?

No idea on the title of the book.

Eddie.

Eddie

Waddingtons book on Salmon Fishing was imaginatively named Waddington on Salmon fishing

:z18

Jim
"Because in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing what they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion."

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #602 on: June 27, 2013, 08:24:40 AM »
He must have stayed up for many a night working on that title. :z4 :z4

Eddie. :z18
As Shakespeare said, it is better to have hooked and lost than never to have hooked at all.

Dutchfly

« Reply #603 on: June 27, 2013, 09:26:08 AM »
Jerome,
Was it Richard Waddington?

No idea on the title of the book.

Eddie.

Is the right answer!  :z16 The quote are the last words in his book Catching Salmon.
Over to you, Eddie!

Jeroen

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #604 on: June 27, 2013, 09:45:15 AM »
Hans Van Klinken of Klinkhammer fame had another name for his famous fly for Grayling fishing before it was named the klinkhammer.

What was the name originally?

I saw this on a letter written by the man himself with pencil drawing instructions for the fly many years ago in Richard Walkers shop in King Street Aberdeen.

Eddie. :z18 :z18
As Shakespeare said, it is better to have hooked and lost than never to have hooked at all.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #605 on: June 27, 2013, 10:20:10 AM »
the Light Tan Caddis ! i saw a pic of that letter (or something similar) somewhere on the net a while ago and for some reason the name stuck in me head. must have been the utter boringness of it that made it stand out...

cheers,
marc

Goolager

« Reply #606 on: June 27, 2013, 10:23:41 AM »
i saw a pic of that letter (or something similar) somewhere on the net a while ago and for some reason the name stuck in me head

Nice try at disguisingthe fact that you just googled it, you Dirty Duster  :z7

Iain 'twatmobile'

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #607 on: June 27, 2013, 10:44:55 AM »
Iain, Marc,

both wrong :X1 :X1

Eddie.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #608 on: June 27, 2013, 17:09:02 PM »
how can Ian be wrong if he didn't even offer an answer ?! (or is it just a 'principle' thing ?)  :z4

Jim Eddie

« Reply #609 on: June 27, 2013, 19:57:04 PM »
Iain, Marc,

both wrong :X1 :X1

Eddie.

You sure Eddie  :wink I'm sure I  saw something once by the man himself on Sexyloops that agreed with Marc
"Because in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing what they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion."

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #610 on: June 27, 2013, 20:57:31 PM »
Jim,
it may well have been called that in some communications but the name on this note that I read was something else and I have seen it referred to another fly.

It was called the once and away, apparently you cast it once and it went away.

Marc,

your go.

Eddie. :z16

Jim Eddie

« Reply #611 on: June 27, 2013, 22:18:51 PM »
Jim,
it may well have been called that in some communications but the name on this note that I read was something else and I have seen it referred to another fly.

Marc,

your go.

Eddie. :z16

Fair play to you Eddie,as they say in Inversneckie you were right enough  :z4

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #612 on: June 27, 2013, 22:57:26 PM »

:z4 :z4 :z4

or, from Hans: "I called the fly the "Once and Away", since I had a great deal of difficulty in getting the pattern to float again after it had been dragged down by a fish." (cdc and fish slime...  :X2)
the whole story and sbs of the Once and Away here - http://www.danica.com/flytier/hklinken/once_and_away.htm

hmmm, this'll be a two part question:
1) who came up with the term 'Cul de Canard' ?
) what exactly was he referring to ?

:z13,
marc

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #613 on: June 27, 2013, 23:07:02 PM »
Marc,
was it Marc Pettijean?

Was he referring to ducks arse?

Eddie. :z8

Noel kelly

« Reply #614 on: June 27, 2013, 23:08:00 PM »
Marc,
was it Marc Pettijean?

Was he referring to ducks arse?

Eddie. :z8

No idea whom but cul is indeed arse!

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk all rights reserved

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum