Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Catman

Re: General Knowledge - Fly Fishing
« Reply #360 on: February 27, 2011, 19:18:34 PM »
OK

Here is a fairly easy one for you;

Shetland & Sutherland both start with the letter S & end with the letter D but in another language (other than English) they have something else in common, what is it.

Hint: the answer is someone or something who loves fish.

Alex

Peter Rawlinson

« Reply #361 on: February 27, 2011, 22:40:25 PM »
Sutherland has the word cat , Shetland has seal , in Gaelic ? Both like fish !   :z4

Catman

« Reply #362 on: February 28, 2011, 04:20:14 AM »
Sutherland has the word cat , Shetland has seal , in Gaelic ? Both like fish !   :z4

Pretty close Pete you are on the right track but not quite, I am looking for 1 thing that they share
Cat & Seal  would be 2 things. Lets just say you are half right :wink

Alex

Hamish Young

« Reply #363 on: February 28, 2011, 08:29:08 AM »
The language would be old Norse as, I think, Gaelic was never a language spoken on Orkney or Shetland and as both areas were under 'Viking' control that seems logical. However - I'm prepared to be wrong  :z7
The common link might be seals, but that's a complete guess as I know naff all about old Norse  :z8

H  :z3
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 18:28:55 PM by Hamish »
“When tired at last, he sat on the bank, while the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea.”

Allan Liddle

« Reply #364 on: February 28, 2011, 11:01:51 AM »
Ok Hamish, i'll go Cat then  :z4

bruce

« Reply #365 on: February 28, 2011, 12:11:13 PM »
i will say they both end in "land" which must mean something in some other language  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Catman

« Reply #366 on: February 28, 2011, 13:18:14 PM »
Cat is correct

In early Irish literature, Shetland is referred to as Inse Catt - "the Isles of Cats”
The Cat tribe also occupied parts of the northern Scottish mainland -
they can be found in the Gaelic name for Sutherland  (Cataibh, meaning "among the Cats").

OK Dryflee it is over to you

Tiam

« Reply #367 on: February 28, 2011, 19:15:48 PM »
Ok, Joker Played.....

Question... Diawl Bach is a well known trout fly but, where does it originate from and in that language what does it mean?  :wink
I know it may be easy but its all i have got :z4

All the Best
Tiam

Hamish Young

« Reply #368 on: February 28, 2011, 19:26:18 PM »
It means 'little devil' in Welsh. Origins are something of a mixed bag, but almost certainly came from the lad of the daffodils and groups of close formation miners singing and terrifying tourists :wink

:z3
“When tired at last, he sat on the bank, while the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea.”

Tiam

« Reply #369 on: February 28, 2011, 19:28:48 PM »
Got it in one :z7 :z4
Right Hamish, over to you :wink

All the Best
Tiam

Hamish Young

« Reply #370 on: February 28, 2011, 19:55:36 PM »
OK - another one of these:

Which loch am I :?

I was once famed for my brown trout fishing but these days am more frequented by maggot drowners coarse fishermen and in particular Pike anglers in search of a fish of legendary proportions.

In my part of Scotland, I am by far the longest loch in the area and have one of the biggest overall water catchments.

The river that flows from me was once a popular Salmon fishery, but these days the trout fisherman is more common than the salmon angler.

So.... again..... which loch am I :?

H  :z3

Peter Rawlinson

« Reply #371 on: February 28, 2011, 20:03:25 PM »
Sounds a bit like Loch Lomond .

Hamish Young

« Reply #372 on: February 28, 2011, 20:06:05 PM »
It's a good guess, can see why you'd say that, but it's not right  :z5

Jim Eddie

« Reply #373 on: February 28, 2011, 20:12:09 PM »
Loch Awe  :?

:z18

Jim
"Because in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing what they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion."

Hamish Young

« Reply #374 on: February 28, 2011, 20:13:12 PM »
Nice try Jim, but no  :wink

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

© Copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk all rights reserved

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum