Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: February 2011 Flytying SBS entries
« Reply #15 on: 11/02/2011 at 23:29 »
Nice fly Peter, the Teal & Black is a great all rounder ..... Thanks for posting! :z16

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #16 on: 11/02/2011 at 23:32 »
Nice Waterhen Bloa John, that's gonna catch you a few fish this season ...... Thanks for posting!

Cheers
Mike

Peter McCallum

« Reply #17 on: 12/02/2011 at 00:25 »
Nice Waterhen Bloa John, that's gonna catch you a few fish this season ...... Thanks for posting!

Cheers
Mike

Hear Hear!!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #18 on: 12/02/2011 at 07:59 »
I'm loving both the last ones :z16
Clyde style and my personal favourite :wink What a cool month.

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #19 on: 12/02/2011 at 08:20 »
A Christmas island style Gotcha

Tied skinny for skinny water, where it has to sink fast and just provide that wee puff of movement.

Hook: Gamakatsu SC15 size 2
Thread: Fl.Orange
Tail,body and wing: 4 strands of Root beer Krystal flash
Eyes: 3/16ths Gold dumbells
Wing: Orange Calftail

Step 1: Put hook in vice so the shank is straight.

Step 2: Start the thread building a wee bump for the eyes about 1/3rd of the way back from the eye on the straight portion of shank.

Step 3: Fasten eyes to hook with figure of eight wraps until eyes are secure, then wind down to just around the bend.

Step 4: Take 4 strands of Krystal flash and tie in as a tail approx the same length as the hook shank.

Step 5: Wind thread back up to the eye.

Step 6: Twist the Krystal flash into a rope and wind on as a body going around the eyes 2-3 times and tie it down.

Step 7: Invert the hook in the vice and tie the Krystal flash back as a wing, supporting it against the vice as shown.

Step 8: Select a small amount of Calfs tail about 2 times the length of the straight shank of the hook, remove the under hair.

Step 9: Tie in the calfs tail and cut the end fibres flat across the top of the hook, this makes for a tapered head.

Step 10: Form a neat tapered head, whip finish and apply head cement.

Step 11: Put a wee drop of head cement on the body while the wing is supported by the vice.

Step 12: Trim the ends of the Kystal flash wing so they are uneven and about the same length as the calf tail and there you have the finished fly.

Tied in Orange, Tan, Pink and White this little fly is a very simple but highly effective Bonefish fly, especially in skinny water and with spooky fish, probably just about the only fly you might need on a flat as long as you have a few clousers in your box as well :z7 and perhaps a Nasty Gilbert or 2 :wink

Cheers

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #20 on: 12/02/2011 at 08:37 »
Hi Sandy, great step by step ....... Thanks for posting! :z16

I like the fisheye views of the cameraman in the dumbells :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Barry Robertson

« Reply #21 on: 12/02/2011 at 18:16 »
Nice flies lads,  :z14

Sandy,
Where did you get the rootbeer flash! Looks like it would make a nice cormorant body  :wink

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #22 on: 13/02/2011 at 00:44 »
Quote from: bigtroot link=topic=3358.msg28207#msg28207 date=1297534581
Sandy,
Where did you get the rootbeer flash! Looks like it would make a nice cormorant body  :wink
[/quote

Baz

I got it from Lakeland , looks like they might be out of stock though.
It's a standard colour so you should get it from any Krystal flash dealer :z8
their colour list is fantastic with loads of different colours :z16

sandy

Irvine Ross

« Reply #23 on: 13/02/2011 at 16:42 »
I don’t know if this flay has a name but I call it the cripple buzzer. It is good for trout taking buzzers a few inches below the surface and is meant to represent a failed emerging buzzer.

Dressing
Hook : Kamasan B100n sizes 12 down to 16
Thread : Black 8/0
Abdomen : Pearl lurex tinsel
Rib : Silver Wire
Thorax : Ice Dub Peacock Black
Wing : Siliconised Polypropylene Yarn

Tie on thread and run down to there the wing will be tied in.

Catch in the wire rib.

Run the thread down to the tip of the abdomen and then back up to where you caught in the rib.

Catch in the pearl tinsel and coat the layers of thread round the hook with tying cement.

Run the tinsel down to the lower part of the abdomen and back up again to the tying in point.

Cut off the tinsel and then counter wind the rib in a nice even spacing (do what I say,  not what you see I do).

Catch in one layer of the polypropylene yarn.

Run the thread forward to approximately half way toward the eye of the hook.

Double the yarn back over and tie down.

Cut off the wing about level with the back of the hook.

Wind on a thin spindle of dubbing.

Run the dubbed thread forwards towards the eye.

Whip finish.

Snip off the thread. Add a drop of head cement and job finished.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #24 on: 13/02/2011 at 16:56 »
Hi Irvine, great step by step ....... Thanks for posting! :z16

Cheers
Mike

Peter McCallum

« Reply #25 on: 13/02/2011 at 16:58 »
 bonny wee fly there
Irvine

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #26 on: 23/02/2011 at 01:30 »
Irvine

nice fly, for years i have used something very similar in both black and olive to great effect.
only twist is, i use CDC for the wing and the first layer is bright orange with natural on top.
Will try and put up a picture or two later on, if i can find a fly (might need to tie a couple :z6 they are all in the UK i think!)

:z18

Sandy

Noel Kelly

« Reply #27 on: 23/02/2011 at 08:51 »
Irvine
Dennis Moss speaks about similar buzzers in his excellent book "Trout from a boat" He believes the addition of the white tags greatly improve the catch rate. Puts it down to improved visibility if I recall correctly. Must dig the book out again and confirm.

Irvine Ross

« Reply #28 on: 24/02/2011 at 19:15 »
Sandy

Does your CdC version float?  With the buoyant polypropylene wing this one just hovers a few inches down so it's useful when they are showing their fin but not taking off the surface.

Noel

I don't know that book. I'll have to look it up.

cheers
Irvine

Allan Liddle

« Reply #29 on: 24/02/2011 at 20:40 »
Irvine
Dennis Moss speaks about similar buzzers in his excellent book "Trout from a boat" He believes the addition of the white tags greatly improve the catch rate. Puts it down to improved visibility if I recall correctly. Must dig the book out again and confirm.

Hence the reason i use white hackles so much in my loch dries

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com