Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

February 2011 Flytying SBS entries
« on: 01/02/2011 at 23:03 »
Hi folks :cool:

Please post your February entries in this thread .................... :wink

Will we see a Pike Special from Rob, or a Woolly Bugger from Ben, or a Dapping fly from Hamish, or a Dry Flee from Allan, or a Lochstyle fly from Peter, or an Emerger from Kevin ........ :z3

Best wishes
Mike

Peter McCallum

Re: February 2011 Flytying SBS entries
« Reply #1 on: 02/02/2011 at 08:36 »
Hmmmmm is that a broad hint Mike?? :z4 :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 02/02/2011 at 08:41 »
Who me? Would I do that? :z8

Cheers :z4
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 02/02/2011 at 08:42 »
Yes..... you would  :wink

H

Matt Henderson

« Reply #4 on: 02/02/2011 at 08:43 »
I have pencilled in an hour at the vice on Friday so that I make an entry this month.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #5 on: 02/02/2011 at 09:11 »
Yes..... you would  :wink

H

Maybe we should oblige him Hamish.

Peter

jpm75

« Reply #6 on: 02/02/2011 at 11:17 »
Hi Mike any room for salmon flies in amongst that lot?
John.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 02/02/2011 at 11:48 »
Hi John :cool:

Yes, of course, whatever fly you fancy tying ....... I was just pulling their leg :z4

Best wishes
Mike

Allan Liddle

« Reply #8 on: 02/02/2011 at 23:22 »
Ok ok i can take a hint :z4

I'll see what i can do for this month

Whinbush

« Reply #9 on: 03/02/2011 at 22:16 »
You will have plenty tying to do with all that barbless hooks you need to put feather and fur round Allan ,remember Allan dont de bard your own  ::) ::)

ramjet

« Reply #10 on: 04/02/2011 at 16:21 »
Hi

This is a style of fly I have been tying for around 5 or 6 months now. I always shied away from muddlers as i thought they were really hard to tie.  I hope it makes sense to you all. It is harder than I thought trying to describe the sequence for this fly :oops.

COPPER DABBLER MUDDLER

Hook: B175 size 12
Thread: 8/0 Uni Black
Tail: Pheasant tail
Body: Copper utc holographic Tinsel (Medium)
Rib: Small gold wire
Body hackle: Brown cock saddle feather
Wing: Bronze mallard (Natural)
Head: Deer hair (Natural)

Put down a layer of thread until thread is in line with the barb of the hook.

Tie in 4 or 5 strands of pheasant tail fibres, slightly longer than the length of the shank. Also tie in gold wire and copper tinsel.

Tidy up and wrap tinsel to just past half way mark.

Tie in Brown saddle hackle at the end of the tinsel.

Wind hackle down the shank approx 4 or 5 turns. Secure with gold wire and wrap up to end of tinsel (4 or 5 turns).

Take Bronze mallard feather and tear off a piece around 20mm.

Fold Mallard feather over on its self around 4 times till you end up with a thin slip.

Tie in thin slip of bronze mallard in front of hackle. The length of wing should be just short of the tail length. Place tying thread 1/3 rd the way up the bare section of hook (a little further forward than what the picture shows).

Take some deer hair around the same thickness as a normal HB pencil. Place in hair stacker until all tips are lined up.

Place deer hair against the shank of the hook nearest yourself. The tips of the deer hair should line up with the tips of the body hackle. You will notice that the deer hair is on a slight angle to the hook shank (Tips are to the top left. Butt ends to bottom right). Place 2 loose wraps of tying thread around the deer hair.

Shorten tying thread and pull upwards allowing the 2 loose wraps of thread to tighten up. This should spin the deer hair like the picture above.

Place a couple more wraps of thread in same place as your first 2 loose wraps. Bring thread to eye of hook, build up a small head, whip finish and cut off thread.

Stroke the long ends of the deer hair forward leaving the tips facing backwards. This should be easy as your first loose wraps of thread should have made a separation point between tips and rest of hair.

Cut long ends of deer hair into a rough circle.

Stroke the fibres back and begin to cut head into desired shape. Curved scissors are best but not essential.

The finished product. Give it a try, it is easier than you think :z18

Alan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 04/02/2011 at 16:37 »
Nice, very nice Alan, that looks really "fishy"! ..... Thanks for posting :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Peter McCallum

« Reply #12 on: 11/02/2011 at 18:56 »
Ok Mike it's not a Loch fly but this is my entry, mainly for JohnR. I thought I’d posted it already but haven’t.

Teal & Black tied Clyde Style

Hook - 14, I’ve used a partridge L3AY barbless but the hook type is up to you
Thread – Black
Body – Black thread
Rib – Silver wire
Wing – Teal breast
Hackle – Black hen

As with all Clyde Style Flies this is tied short & Sparse

Step 1
Hook in vice and start thread

Step 2
Wind the thread along the shank, till it is just level with the point of the hook, in touching turns

Step 3
Catch in a length of fine silver wire (you could use fine tinsel, but would need to varnish over it to protect from the trout’s teeth.

Step 4
Spiral the wire to a point just short of the eye, tie off – 2 turns then break off the wire. It is useful at this point to wax the thread for the short length you are using to tie down the tinsel. It will act like glue and means you can use minimal turns of thread. Remember Sparse is the key!

Step 5
Prepare the wing as shown. The very tip of the feather will be used for the wing

Step 6
Place the point where the feather is separated on the top of the hook and make a couple of loose wraps over. Then pull the shaft of the feather to shorten the wing till it’s at the length you require – level with the bend of the hook.

Step 7
Take one loose turn off then secure the wing with a couple of firm wraps. Cut off the waste

Step 8
Prepare a black hen hackle in the same way as the wing and tie in with the hackle over the body as shown. If you wax the thread then two turns should suffice.

Step 9
 Stroke the hackle fibres to the rear and wind one or one & a half turns of hackle.

Step 10
Tie off the hackle with two tight turns of waxed thread. Trim the waste butts of the hackle and whip finish

The Teal & Black. One of my favourite flies on rivers and also an effective killer on Stillwater, particularly when fish are taking buzzers just subsurface. Cast out in an area of activity or to a targeted fish and retrieve slloooowwllyy

John Reid

« Reply #13 on: 11/02/2011 at 23:23 »
My First SBS

Apologies to Sandy for plagiarising his favourite fly but it is now one of my favourites to tie and I am looking forward to fishing it in the spring.

Materials

Hook - FTB 103 size 16
Thread - Natural sewing thread (thanks Kevin)
Body - lightly dubbed Orvis light grey dubbing
Hackle - waterhen

Step 1:  Lay down thread body stopping 3 wraps short of where body will start.

Step 2: Wax thread and lightly dub thread for body.

Step 3: Form body stopping short of eye to allow space to tie in hackle and form head.

Step 4: Select small feather from the base of a waterhen wing, strip of downey feathers from base.  Stroke feathers backwards holding with tweezers and make triangle to tie in with.

Step 5:  Tie in hackle with point using pinch and loop method.

Step 6: Wind 1.5 turns of hackle and catch with thread being careful not to trap any fibres, form head and whip finish.

PS What are the best type of hackle pliers for these small hackles as mine keep slipping off even with a bit of rubber on one side of them. :(

John Reid

« Reply #14 on: 11/02/2011 at 23:26 »
Peter

Thank you very much for that. I will get myself some Teal tomorrow and get cracking.
 :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com