Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Allan Liddle

In the past it's been a wee bit traditional to head to the Norhtern area of our mainland to give the Caithness troots a bash looking for late Summer dryflee sport in what, weather permitting, can be the cream of the season's top o the water sport.  A bold statement yes but one that comes backed up with the experience of fully fit, fat and powerful troots with a passion for seaking out any bit of cover that will offer them the chance of liberty again.
This and the chance of early Daddies, Heatherflee, Late Sedges (especially evenings, ohh two ginked Hogs in the flat calm to cruisin troots wi heids like labrador dugs  :shock :shock, ok sometimes, not too unoften this happens, however fish over a pound and half or more still gets heart racin) Early late season Olives (early late, does that make sense??) and maybe even a buzzer hatch more than enough choice to be startin with.

Watten is the water of choice but away from Caithness's Jewel there's others that can rival, or on occassion beat it for quality and quantity.
Sarclet and Toftingall are two totally differing characters where red letter days can be had, Hempriggs, Yarrows, Marl, Calder and Stemster for more modest but still great crac targets, Heilien for the stuff of dreams (not for me as yet sadly) and Wester for a chance of a Silver Tourist.
Add to this the Wick, if there's water, Thurso, if you've got plenty money or Forss, ditto Thurso, for lovers of the Salmo Salar and you'll agree there's plenty to keep you interested.  there's also the Thurso Estate waters if access has been sorted out.
Digs in the Central Caravan site at Old Hall with plenty grub hooses in Thurso or Wick to keep you from going hungry, or a choice of supermarkets for those who like to fanny about in domestic bliss instead of getting down to the serious biz of troot catchin.

Or........................

Orkney.  Famous for it's quality of troot fishing and salt water sea troots as long as the big winds keep away then again late season dry sport to dream aboot can be had on some of the finest troot lochs you'll ever have the privilage to wet a line on.
Harray Loch (i was once asked if i could only fish one water for the rest o my life which one would it be?  Swift answer was without doubt Harray, with the Deveron runnin oot o it :wink
Swannay bigger fish, pig to wade but, like the others, custom designed fur float tubes
Hundland, described as a wee Harray but with enough character of it's own to dispute this
Boardhouse, lesser skerries but plenty weedbeds to aim for (a wee bit like Watten really)
Stenness, still with the chance of seatroot or an Orkney Gold broonie, however watch oot fur those seals when oot in the tube as they can sneak up and cause you to shit yerself :shock
Kirbister, often overlooked and often under-rated this is a crackin water and if it was anywhere else anglers would travel to fish it for sure.
Plenty other wee waters to keep you interested and a host of sea troot marks in the beaches around to try for those elusive salt water feeders.

Orkney digs (that's accomodation not archelogical) to be decided depending on interest and timescale.

Looking at Thursday 25th through to Monday 29th for these, and i'll wait until end of Feb before making the executive decision based on the majorities base of choice, Caithness or Orkney.
Actually Orkney might be better with a day more either side?

Whaddya fink boys????

Allan

bordertroot

Re: Late Summer Caithness or Orkney Bash
« Reply #1 on: 01/02/2011 at 09:33 »
Put me down for either venue Allan,bound to be a good one :grin
Bob

« Reply #2 on: 01/02/2011 at 10:26 »

Alan put me down for either prefer to go to Orkney ,i will go with the flow. :z4 :z4

henry

Offthebard

« Reply #3 on: 01/02/2011 at 18:59 »
I'll be dodgy for this one as me and Stavros are in Orkney the first week in June. I'll check with Stavros as he'll no doubt be keen if he's off shift.

He will be happy with Caithness or Orkney but I'm no wanting him coming home with stories of big silver tourists and robbing me of my rightful trophy this year :z4 if you settle on the Islands. Also I dinnae want him giving away all them tourist spots to the competition :wink.

I could always see if I could get away with it nearer the time - if only I could persuade SWMBO we should try a holiday that week and I could sneak up the road for a day :z2.

Sandy B.

Whinbush

« Reply #4 on: 03/02/2011 at 22:11 »
Thursday the 25th till monday the 29th of what you neep ,put up a post and you get from the 25th till the 29th of what ,will i need to play Santa bleeding Claus cause its the 25th of december or will i take my pail because i can go tattie howkin in October you divot
Just said to Angela i am going away from the 25th till the 29th to go fishing or tattie howkin or to play Santa Claus ,she looked at me as if i was off my heed ,she calmed down when i said Henry was going too and that he would probably make a better Santa than you ,but would not be as good as i would at the tatties
So thats it folks if your off from the 25 till the 29th Allan is looking for names  :z8

« Reply #5 on: 04/02/2011 at 11:22 »

Brilliant   :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Henry

Allan Liddle

Re: Late Summer Caithness or Orkney Bash August 25th-29th
« Reply #6 on: 04/02/2011 at 21:57 »
Thanks for your kind words Gordon Mr Whinbush now ammended so you can see it's August that's the month of choice.
However you knew this already as i check with close friends before booking anything :wink

Gordon Zola

« Reply #7 on: 04/02/2011 at 22:01 »
Whinbush, its a long time since I read a post that made tears run down my cheeks  :z14

Whinbush

« Reply #8 on: 05/02/2011 at 16:30 »
G Zola hopefully will be the first of many  :z12

Allan Liddle

« Reply #9 on: 06/02/2011 at 08:55 »
Getting back on topic guys Henry and Bob so far, any other takers?

Offthebard

« Reply #10 on: 11/02/2011 at 17:30 »
Allan, will confirm with Scotty tomorrow and post back.

Sandy B. 

Offthebard

« Reply #11 on: 15/02/2011 at 11:13 »
Hi Allan,

Dates threw me a bit at first but now its pinned on August all is clearer. :z7

Scotty and I will be in Orkney over those few days, so if thats the destination chosen we will be able to meet up. We have not decided on our accomadation yet but it will probably be the kebab van. Tube heaven planned and I'm wishing the season would just get started.

We will be there for two weeks and these dates you have chosen are plonk right in the middle, so if you boys make it that far North as the Islands then we'll be bound to see you.

Tight Lines,

Sandy B.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #12 on: 15/02/2011 at 21:31 »
Cheers Sandy.  Nothing confirmed yet but Orkney looking favourite so far.  I'll let this run a while yet then let numbers dictate the digs search, although somewhere cheap, cheerful and handy for the fishing best.  Where do you usually pitch the Kebab Van?

Allan

Offthebard

« Reply #13 on: 16/02/2011 at 18:43 »
Kirkwall Caravan Park Allan,

We also have a place out by the Airport we have used.

The facilities at Kirkwall are the best though and its good pitches for tents and the like.

Sandy B.

Islay-tuber

« Reply #14 on: 18/02/2011 at 12:52 »
just too late for my holidays Allan...sometimes I wonder if you have a copy of my works rota?   ???

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com