Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Wild V Stocked
« on: 24/01/2011 at 16:43 »
Hi folks :cool:

If you were fishing at a loch stocked with rainbow trout and brown trout one day and you were going fishing on a wild loch the next ...... would you change your leader set up in any way? If so, how?

Cheers
Mike

Jim Eddie

Re: Wild V Stocked
« Reply #1 on: 24/01/2011 at 16:51 »
Mike

No I normally fish about a 10ft leader with one dropper, rarely fish 3 fly casts nowadays, generally in he Brownie season i would be using much the same flies as for the Rainbows.

:z18

Jim

Mike Livingstone

« Reply #2 on: 24/01/2011 at 18:02 »
This is one of these, it depends answers.

For bank fishing most likely not.  Boat fishing, depends on the weather but if there is a good wave I would switch to a 3 fly set up with the typical loch style patterns.  Lately, I have tended to use dries and nymphs for Žbows and browns.

« Reply #3 on: 24/01/2011 at 19:20 »

I have always used mono4-5lb for Wild Browns, and floro carbon for the Bows 6lb up the way.  3 fly cast for both :z16

Henry

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 24/01/2011 at 19:43 »
The answer for me is yes & no.  If I happened to find myself fishing both days with identical methods over similar depth of water in similar conditions then the answer would be no but as I usually fish differently for rainbows and browns then the answer would have to be yes.  Different methods / presentations / flies require a different leader set up IMO. so I would end up changing leader, almost certainly.
Generally I use a shop bought 12' 4x tapered leader for dries with 3' - 4' of fluoro tippet of required diameter for fly this may be stepped down if using micro patters.  Pulling tradionals would mean a 7' tapered leader to 3x with 1' to first fly then about 3'6" between next two.  Either 4x or 3x fluoro depending upon size of wave and fly.  Leader make up for nymphing depends upon the depth I need to fish at and this will change on a particular water so certainly will change between two different fisheries but is not stocked / species specific.  For me leader set up is dependent upon how I'm fishing and cannot really be pinned down to a water or type of fish.

Cheers

Ben

Peter McCallum

« Reply #5 on: 24/01/2011 at 20:39 »
Depends if I'm boat/bank fishing or tubing. If tubing I normally use two flies wild or stocked, more is just too much hassle. If I'm boating or banking on a big loch, well bigger than Haddo, i'll use 3 flies. bank fishing a small stillwater one or two flies.

Leaders.... I usually have a 5' furled leader on my line followed by level mono length depending on how many flies but ususlly about 10' for two flies.

Gordon Zola

« Reply #6 on: 24/01/2011 at 22:39 »
The only thing I would change would be the breaking strain
depending on the size of the rainbows I would use a tapered leader with a 6lb point
and for the wild fish either 3 or 4 lb tapered
3 flies to a cast where allowed
gordon

Allan Liddle

« Reply #7 on: 24/01/2011 at 23:12 »
Depends on what approach i'm fishing but generally i'd be fishing dries so two flees fur me.
But if short lining then a team of three (two bobs and an anchor nymph to start with) or buzzers then two flees again well spaced on a long leader and across wind swing.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 24/01/2011 at 23:47 »
Some great replies :z16

No, it wouldn't be a case of stocked, wild, size or species for me either. The conditions on the day would guide me to my choice of fly ..... and I would then choose my leader set up to suit that fly, or team of flies.

Cheers
Mike

Offthebard

« Reply #9 on: 25/01/2011 at 11:49 »
Definite changes for me.

Stocked Rainbows or Browns it would be heavy nylon 6Lb and max two flies, large nymphs or lures. Quite often fish an intermediate rather than a floating line.

Wild Broonies floating line two or three fly set on a pulling wets basis 4lb Nylon or a dry with a small nymph point in calm conditions.

Sandy.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 25/01/2011 at 13:12 »
Cunning plan Mike, I see what you are doing ;)

Two spools of identical mono, one says "Brown trout leader", the other "Rainbow leader". You can charge 3 times the price for the Brown trout stuff as its the "more refined" angler that fishes for them ;)

:z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Allan Liddle

« Reply #11 on: 25/01/2011 at 13:54 »

Two spools of identical mono, one says "Brown trout leader", the other "Rainbow leader". You can charge 3 times the price for the Brown trout stuff as its the "more refined" angler that fishes for them ;)

Ahem, that would be me for the most part then, however i'll stick with my tried and tested over many many years (and troots) of Maxima Green 4lb fur the wild troots.  Strong, robust, bit of give, non shiny and, best of all, cheap  :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 25/01/2011 at 17:28 »

and 6 times as much for the pike stuff :z4  :z4  :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 25/01/2011 at 17:46 »
The whole "Wild V Stocked" thing is quite funny on a personal level :oops

I remember back in the early 90s how I simply wouldn't entertain the idea of fishing at a stocked fishery, despite frequent invitations from my fishing buddies and the outings organised by my local angling club. I had read the magazines and seen the talk about fisheries on the internet .... the fishing would just be too easy and you have to use big bright flies like Baby Dolls, Vivas and Cats Whiskers :z6

Then we saw a big decline in sea trout on the Don and I felt guilty about keeping one for the pot, so one evening I decided to say yes to an invitation to go up to Loch Insch, as I fancied keeping a fish. I had a great time that evening, fishing to rises with size 16 Wingless Wickhams and my favourite wee sedge pattern ...... I was fishing with exactly the same kit as I used on the river and I've never looked back :wink

If you had told me in the early 90s that I would end up owning a stocked fishery, I would have found that absolutely hilarious! :z4

Cheers
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #14 on: 25/01/2011 at 18:36 »
Ahem, that would be me for the most part then, however i'll stick with my tried and tested over many many years (and troots) of Maxima Green 4lb fur the wild troots.  Strong, robust, bit of give, non shiny and, best of all, cheap  :z4

Not another one  :z4

I'll never understand how anyone who ties their own flies can invest time and effort in tying a nice looking well proportioned fly and then go tie it onto a piece of green or brown rope  :z4   

The only flies I've ever seen that deserve such treatment are either tied by blind kids in India or by Paul Arden!

Fluoro or clear rubbed down copoly for me every time.

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com