Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Barry Robertson

Re: Bug Bond for fly tying
« Reply #15 on: 06/04/2012 at 21:23 »
I read about it on the big forum and thought it would be ok!
After receiving it and using i think its way better than ok  :z14
Was at a friends house and we put a tad of bug bond on his desk and zapped it with original bug bond torch , after 15 seconds i tried my nail in it and it was hardish but still able to pierce it with my nail and the big bond blob was able to be taken off the desk  :mad
Tried same test again with the new torch and the bug bond is still stuck to his desk yet and wont come off  :z4
I reckon it would cure in 5-10 secs with the new torch!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #16 on: 06/04/2012 at 21:37 »
cool :z12

Can't argue with shit to a blanket :z4 :z4

Let the creative juices flow :grin

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #17 on: 12/04/2012 at 20:26 »
New torch is awesome, Cheers Baz :z18.

Already getting the stuff to work the way i imagined it could :z16

Hows about this for the Estuary on a roly-poly retrieve, should be cool

Light in the house at the moment is Shite so i apologise :X1, maybe get some better shots during the day next week :z16

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #18 on: 12/04/2012 at 20:30 »
That looks great Sandy :z16

Cheers
Mike

Iain Cameron

« Reply #19 on: 12/04/2012 at 20:31 »
Hows about this for the Estuary on a roly-poly retrieve, should be cool

sandy - that looks awesome! send one my way for road-testing :-0

Iain Goolager

« Reply #20 on: 12/04/2012 at 21:49 »
Nice!

some real flies at last  :z4

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #21 on: 12/04/2012 at 23:21 »
Nice fly that Sandy and looks like a fairly fast tie.  I like the eyes!!

Ben

Barry Robertson

« Reply #22 on: 13/04/2012 at 01:39 »
Nice looking wee number  :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #23 on: 13/04/2012 at 08:15 »
Hmmmmm...I have a bucket load of those hooks...guess I will be busy this weekend!! :)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #24 on: 13/04/2012 at 19:07 »
Cheers guys

yes its a fast tie, its just Holofusion tied to the hook with white thread, a drop of red marker pen and some Orvis Mirage eyes in the smallest size, then the rest is Bug bond. This one is on a size 8 hook , so is only about 2" long, going to play with colours as i fancy a sand coloured one and a light olive one would look equally as appetising.

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #25 on: 18/04/2012 at 20:46 »
A wee picture of the Olive/blue and sand versions, better light, but still hard to capture the colours and sparkly bits :roll
They are all just a size 8, so should be a nice throw on a 7wt.

Sandy

Jonathan Kerr

« Reply #26 on: 18/04/2012 at 22:02 »
I'll tell you something Sandy, those flies work an absolute treat in the sea around Shetland. The sea trout were crazy for similar flies during most of the season up there last year.  I'm not the biggest fan of hard/epoxy style flies, but boy do they work! I must say i do like the look of yours though!

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #27 on: 05/05/2012 at 23:18 »
Im a bit late to this discussion but I am very interested in trying some uv resin but I cant justify £30+ for bug bond. I have just bought the torch in the link. Cheers Baz  :z18 I know a few folks have been less than happy with the one you get in the BB kit.

If I was to buy the a bottle of the deer creek resin...http://www.deercreek.co.uk/Diamond-Hard-UV-resin-kit.html is there any reason why the torch you are using will not cure this? Do they all set at different light frequency things? Am I over complicating this? (spot the guy who failed physics :z6)

I also stumbled across this stuff http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UV-Cured-Resin-Bug-Bonds-/380435729078?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item5893bc8ab6 Anyone tried it?

Cheers
Paul

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #28 on: 05/05/2012 at 23:40 »
Paul,
UV light cured resins are what is commonly known as Acrylic Gel as used in the "beauty trade" for making acrylic nails. Like many things in life, someone saw a gap in the market, re-bottled the stuff, tripled the price and sold it to us.

http://www.beautiesfactory.co.uk/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=33639
http://www.beautiesfactory.co.uk/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=33643

Don't ask how I know, but my nails look luuuuuurvly ;)

Same place does the UV lights BUT they are big things designed to dry nails...and mostly pink :(

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #29 on: 06/05/2012 at 12:30 »
they come in not-so-gay white as well  :z4

thanks for that link Rob. definitely something worth experimenting with.  :z13

awesome flies Sandy ! me love ! :grin

cheers,
marc

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com