Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Barry Robertson

Bug Bond for fly tying
« on: 10/01/2011 at 16:51 »
What can i say!
It arrived today and cant get enough of it, aweseome stuff and saves so much time applying lots of coats to quill patterns and buzzers, i wish i had bought it earlier now  :wink
Anyone seriously into there tying should get some of this stuff, expensive but worth every penny  :z14

Baz
 :z18

jpm75

Re: Bug Bond for fly tying
« Reply #1 on: 10/01/2011 at 18:57 »
Hi Baz, is it really that good. I've seen davie mcphail using it and I thought I might get a bottle of it. What spec is the uv light that you got
with it?
 :z14
John.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #2 on: 10/01/2011 at 19:12 »
The spec of the light  :z6 12 LED if thats all you mean!
http://www.funkyflytying.co.uk/shop/categories/bugbond/33/
I opted for the lite kit, i tried the regular stuff, it was fine also but i just prefered the thinner coat the lite gave!
Its looks far better in real life than it does on the web, a great investment!  :z14

Barry Robertson

« Reply #3 on: 11/01/2011 at 17:31 »
Not the best with the stuff yet but tried to rattle of a few fry patterns for tomorrow at kingennie!
Easy to work with just need to improve my fry tying skills  :wink

wetflea

« Reply #4 on: 20/01/2011 at 18:32 »
i have been using bugbond for a couple of weeks now and must say it is fantastic.not tried it on fry patterns yet but for buzzers its a revelation :wink

Peter McCallum

« Reply #5 on: 20/01/2011 at 19:59 »
I know I bought a LAW vice but £30 for what is basically varnish sems a bit steep to me. What exactly is the advantage??

wetflea

« Reply #6 on: 20/01/2011 at 20:14 »
the advantage for me is the fact buzzers are done in one coat compared with the three coats of sally hansen i was applying :winkno more rotary wheels for drying  :wink

Barry Robertson

« Reply #7 on: 20/01/2011 at 23:08 »
Adavantages for Bug bond:

Sally hansen on buzzers needs a minimum of 3 coats in my opinion and takes some time between drying - Bug bond is done in one coat and is dry in 15 seconds!
A buzzer with 3 coats sinks alot faster than a buzzer with 1 coat of bug bond keeping the flies higher  in a zone for a longer period of time!
When i am tying a cormorant or 12 at a time like i would normally do, i use to have to always do 12 bodies, stick them on fly clips and give them all 3 coats before i could stick on the wings and cheeeks.
With bug bond i can tie on the body and leave the thread attached behing the eye, apply bug bond, zap it for 15 seconds, then tie on the wing and cheeks! Job done  :z14
Alot easier on the whole and i find with the less varnishing it also keeps the sizes of the heads down as a well as a bonus!
Its just the dogs ganglies and if you can afford a Law you can afford bug bond!
Have a look at this clip for this buzzer, i couldnt do this with sally hansen!  :z14 :z14 :z14

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 06/04/2012 at 16:06 »
Re-visiting this one.

I imagine you need the bug bond UV torch?? I already have a small UV torch from a Tuffleye Kit.
Tuffleye is very expensive compared to bug bond but i'm looking for a nice quick curing epoxy for making mini polar candies.
Preferably one that wont discolour either, with age.
My tuffleye kit is finished so i got a bottle of bug bond but it won't cure with the tuffleye torch, i know i'm answering my own question :roll but has anyone else tried the bug bond with a different torch??

Maybe just have to go buy a Bug Bond torch :X1

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 06/04/2012 at 16:22 »
Looks like i'll have too :z6

The bug bond cures at a wavelength of 395nm and tuffleye at 360nm and the two wont work with the others torch :X1

Bollocks :roll

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 06/04/2012 at 16:23 »
Just like car bits and phone chargers and .......... :z4  :z4  :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 06/04/2012 at 16:26 »
I do believe I have found out what Bug Bond and the like actually is, and doing some experiments just now..but needless to say, it is available online/in certain shops at a fraction of the price once its been decanted into little bottles!!..and the UV torches..well..they are not as expensive either.

As it comes from a slightly embaressing source, I shall keep shtum for now...lol

ps. I can get it in various colours, with glitter through it and also UV too for that "glow in poor light" effect. :)

Barry Robertson

« Reply #12 on: 06/04/2012 at 20:48 »
Dont buy the bug bond torch its utter mince!
I will post a link to a fenomanal  :z4 torch i use for only a fiver and twice as good as they one they sell  :z16

Barry Robertson

« Reply #13 on: 06/04/2012 at 21:11 »

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #14 on: 06/04/2012 at 21:16 »
Cool.

Nice and cheap, i take it, it works nice and fast then :z16 got a few cool ideas to try out if i can get the stuff to cure :X1

Cheers

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com