Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

emerger

Fly tying in Garage???
« on: 07/01/2011 at 14:36 »
Due to my expanding family I'm running out of space to tie flies, We are in the process of getting a large Garage built with 2 additional bedrooms above one of which I had planned to convert into my new fly tying den but her indoors insists it will be a playroom for the kids so it looks like there is no where else for me to go but the Garage.

Can you do this??? Will I have to keep all natural materials in air tight containers??? Does anyone else tie in their garage??

Cheers
Scott

jpm75

Re: Fly tying in Garage???
« Reply #1 on: 07/01/2011 at 15:46 »
Sorry to hear that you've been ousted to the garage, I once thought of going out there myself but found that it was cold and felt a bit damp. Not that it would do any harm to my gear cause its all inside air tight zip lock bags, but i found that the fingers didnt seem to work as well. I dont know if it would do harm to the materials, waxes might not work as well in the cold. Maybe a bribe to her indoors and see if she changes her mind.  Good luck.
 :z8 :z18 John  

Irvine Ross

« Reply #2 on: 07/01/2011 at 17:28 »
Scott

Don't know about your garage but ours is way too cold to work in during the winter. We also get the occasional mouse so I would have to keep all my materials in tins to stop them being chewed up and stolen for bedding.

Looks like you will just have to spread yourself over one end of the dining table as I do. It's a bit of a pain having to tidy up every time someone comes round for a meal but it's warm and comfortable in winter. If you are a bit tardy with the tidying up every time she might relent. :wink

Cheers
Irvine

« Reply #3 on: 09/01/2011 at 20:42 »
I used to tie in the garage, however had problems with mice and because of the damp you have to keep all your tools in seeled containers.  You would probably be better off having a temporary area in the main house which would at least be warm year round.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com