Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dario

winter tyres
« on: 06/01/2011 at 13:33 »
Hi Guys,
Happy New Year  :z18
I remember reading a very interesting conversation about snow tyres in the forum. However  :oops I cannot find the topic.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Thanks

dario

Matt Henderson

Re: winter tyres
« Reply #1 on: 06/01/2011 at 13:52 »
http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3183.msg26080#msg26080

If its any help I got all season tyres just two on the front and they are really good.  Makes the back end a little light if you're going too fast but apart from that its fine. 

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 06/01/2011 at 13:57 »
Hi Dario :z16

Yep, could be this one? http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3183.0

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 06/01/2011 at 17:32 »
Superb things, but check with your manufacturer before fitting as some vehicles are quite sensitive to what you use and if you have a 4 x 4 under no circumstance should you only fit 2. Its four or nothing I am afraid.

I have Yohohama Geolander Cold weather tyres that give much better grip on typical all round winter conditions than pure snow tyres do. (Sorry, i put the wrong details down so have edited)
I have used the Pirelli Scorpian tyres on Discoveries and Landys and again, superb in anything but deep snow.

Snowtyres are great when there is soft to semi packed snow but once its hard packed and icey or you are on a typical "two tracks through to the road with snow in the middle", thats when the cold weathers give better grip.

I bet you can't find any in stock though, local garages are saying no new deliveries until at least October!!!

Matt Henderson

« Reply #4 on: 06/01/2011 at 18:50 »
The internet is your friend. Can I suggest www.mytyres.co.uk They are a German company and will deliver the tyres to a local partner garage of your choice where they can be fitted. I ordered mine and had them within a week.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 06/01/2011 at 23:41 »
I ordered mine and had them within a week.

Just tried them, they have one tyre listed for the size we need 215/45 R18, £173 each....ouch! Seem to be in stock though....:)

Thank you!

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 07/01/2011 at 00:02 »
215/45/18 :? :! What on earth are they for Rob :? Wouldn't be Italian would it :?

H  :z3

PS - if for MiTo would that not be a 40 profile :?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 07/01/2011 at 00:17 »
215/45/18 :? :! What on earth are they for Rob :? Wouldn't be Italian would it :?

H  :z3

Very Italian! So Italian its back from its third trip to the dealers in Perth! New gearbox, respray where the paint was flaking and finaly, the windscreen coming "unbonded" from the car!

The joys of being an individual!..lol

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 07/01/2011 at 00:25 »
Tell me about it..... but let's not make this a whinge about Alfas  :z10

Go get tyres here: http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m61b0s19p0
You do need to get them fitted locally at your own cost but I've used them before as suppliers and it was a good service :z16

:z3

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 07/01/2011 at 08:40 »
Tell me about it..... but let's not make this a whinge about Alfas  :z10

Go get tyres here: http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m61b0s19p0
You do need to get them fitted locally at your own cost but I've used them before as suppliers and it was a good service :z16

Had a look through the sizes (you had them as a 40, they are a 45 profile ;)) and no snow tyres to fit :( Even getting normal tyres is not easy for it as they are ZR rated so the bog standard Pirellis it comes with are £160 each :( and rarely stocked, normally V rated.

As for Alfas, they may have a "few" issues but by god they are fun to drive :)

Dario

« Reply #10 on: 07/01/2011 at 08:47 »
Thanks Guys, who needs google when we have this forum :z14.

Dario

Hamish Young

« Reply #11 on: 07/01/2011 at 09:28 »
Had a look through the sizes (you had them as a 40, they are a 45 profile ;)) and no snow tyres to fit :(
You could do what I did - buy a set of cheap Alfa alloy wheels off ebay and bung some nice narrow(er) high profile snow/winter tyres  :cool:
I thought all MiTo had a 40 profile on 18" rims, but there you go  :z8

Even getting normal tyres is not easy for it as they are ZR rated so the bog standard Pirellis it comes with are £160 each :( and rarely stocked, normally V rated.

This is a pet irritant for me, so bear with me whilst I have a moan  :wink
You are not going to change the way the car drives by fitting V rated instead of ZR - let's face it, you're unlikely to be doing over 150mph (more likely up to 150mph in a Tb  :wink) and even if you do fit V or W rated tyres look for those with the additional XL rating as they have reinforced sidewalls and are more than up to the job if coming down in speed rating. It's a conversation I have had many times over the years and more recently had with my insurers (LV) last year and they agreed that provided the tyre fitted is legal (obviously) and the same size as the original it doesn't matter one jot what the tyre rating is as the UK speed limit is 70mph. Same went for snow/winter tyres as, in my case, I've fitted 15" alloys with the Alfa recommended tyre size of 195/60/15 and the tyres are 'T' rated instead of 'V' rated as the handbook says they should be in that size. They are legal and that's all that matters - the speed rating really doesn't matter in the real world, it's a tyre salesmans wet dream though  :roll
My 17" alloys are tucked away in the shed and will not appear on the car again until May.....by then I might be able to afford a new set of 215/45/17s  :z7

As for Alfas, they may have a "few" issues but by god they are fun to drive :)

When it's working (which to be fair it is now) I have to admit mine is an absolute hoot  :cool:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 07/01/2011 at 13:43 »
Hamish,
Re Speed ratings, something I take a great deal of interest in due to being a motorcyclist so always concerned about that black stuff that keeps me on the road :)

Lots of confusion, lots of heresay, lots of legal jargon, but at the end of the day, many insurers will class a lower rated tyre as non standard and thus a modification and therefore it should be declared. Been there and done that and had to fight with an insurer to get a payout. There are hundreds of threads on this issue on various car and bike forums with many folk being left to cough up for repairs.

As for snow/winter tyres, have a read of this...again, some insurers are rather keen to make money by classing them as a mod :(  http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/tax-insurance-and-warranties/2010-12/winter-tyres

Cass priced steel wheels and  winter tyres from Alfa, 16 inchers, normal, profile, £720 including VAT and they would have to get from Italy. Cheaper getting an alloy and tyre deal online :(

Hamish Young

« Reply #13 on: 07/01/2011 at 18:23 »
Cass priced steel wheels and  winter tyres from Alfa, 16 inchers, normal, profile, £720 including VAT and they would have to get from Italy. Cheaper getting an alloy and tyre deal online :(
Or nip to the Vauxhall dealer and get a set of steelies from a Corsa  :z17

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com