Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Fishing in Co. Mayo - ideas
« on: 07/02/2007 at 22:12 »
OK folks, looking for some fishing help here :idea:

She who must be obeyed  :z14  and I are hoping to get across to visit one of our pals for a week or so, probably late August but thats to be confirmed. Whilst they naff off and indulge in some retail therapy :roll:   I plan on having at least two days fishing  :z16
Possibly both on a river, but certainly one day after salmon and one after trout  :idea: maybe both at same time, I dunno  :z8

I've never put a foot 'over the border' to Eire (and knowing there's a huge amount of fishing available in that particular part of Ireland) any ideas/suggestions of where to go fish from those who've done it would be very welcome  :wink:

rattrala

« Reply #1 on: 09/02/2007 at 12:19 »
Have been across there a good few times now. The best fishing in County Mayo for salmon is on the Ridge pool on the Moy. If you can get on it, it costs 80 euros for a ticket. The next best beat is the Catherdral beat ,which is slightly cheaper. Because the fishing is so good, especially around May-August you would need to book it now. Contact the North West Fishries board. Details on attached link. Loads of other good beat to try , all on the link. http://www.northwestfisheries.ie/Moy/moy_estuary.htm

The best place for sea trout fishing is on the estuary, it was the best seatrout fishing I have ever had. You can fish from a boat, or they can drop you off on the island in the middle of the estuary to try from the shore. We hired a boat and 3 of us fished from it and two fished from the shore. Both just as good. I would recommend using Mr. Judd Ruane, Riverside, Ballina. Tel: 096 22183 as the estuary can be dangerous with quick running tides. He will provide a boat / guiding etc.  
Brown trout fishing Lough Conn or Cullen.  Large fish can be caught when the Mayfly are hatching, but it is not easy fishing.

I have also have been pike fishing on Derryhick Lough. Loads of pike and some very large ones. follow link  http://www.eurocottage.ie/fishing.html

I am going back over to County Leitrim with the family in July, the house we get is on the Shannon at Leitrim and has a day cruiser tied in with the house.  and already have my days booked up for the Moy. ( Bit of a dirve, but worth it) The for North weat fisheries  also gives up to date fishing reports and historical ones for info.

The place in Leitrim we are staying at is http://www.leitrimquay.com/
Loads of good fishing there on in surrounding area for trout and an amazing amount of coarse fishing( good for the kid's)

Any more info , let me know

Regards   Lloyd

gunner100

County Mayo
« Reply #2 on: 10/02/2007 at 20:20 »
Hi Hamish,

I have fished Mayo on and off for the last 10 Years. As Rattrala says the best pools are the Ridge and the Cathedral.

The Ridge in August is let with five rods on a two session per day basis. It is in the centre of the town, Ballina, with a busy road bridge overlooking it, so if you do not mind the almighty cheer that goes up when you hook a fish, that is the beat for you. The Cathedral is the next beat downstream and has about ten rods but only until 6 pm when it becomes the "Community " beat for the locals, but you can fish it from dawn and the hotel I was staying at would deliver your breakfast to the beat!

The River Moy was massively dredged in the 30' and 40's to improve drainage with the result that it is in many parts very deep and slow moving, with very little fly water. Bait using the "Moy Bung" with worm or prawn is common. At most times, patricularly the less pricey, beats are  busy. Most cost no more than 20 to 25 Euros.

The beats I have enjoyed on the fly are parts of Cloongee and Gannons. I was told that the best kept secret are the Upper Waters of the Moy above Foxford. Can't comment because I ain't fished it, but it would be worth a try but as you only have two days, you would probably be better  sticking to the lower river.

As for the loughs, they are great, Conn, Cullen, Mask and Corrrib are all within reach. Most of the boat hirers or ghillies will not hire a boat to someone who does not know the water, they really can be treacherous as there are numerous rocks just below the surface, although many are marked. Conn is not so rocky so you can normally hire a boat for the day without too much trouble.  

Judd Ruane is a well known character in Ballina having been the proprietor of the Riverboat Inn for many a year. I went out with Judd when he was just starting the sea trout charters, to be recommended.

As you only have two days, planning is all. I had a locally produced fishing magazine which I have not been able to put my hands on, but if I can find it, I will let you have it.

Best regards,

Lyall

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 12/02/2007 at 22:00 »
Good stuff chaps - ta  :z16  I'm hoping for a week..... we will see :z8

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com