Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Rob Brownfield

Re: Winter projects
« Reply #16 on: 11/01/2011 at 12:58 »
Thats a real shame about the freshwater fishing. I must have spent hundreds of hours fishing off the road bridge on the main Panaga to Seria road. Lots of Channel Cats, Siamese Tigers, Gouramis, Climbing Perch and all manner of things I cannot name.

Another favourite place was at the Yacht Club on the KB river, fishing off the jetty.

Then there was the various Sungis that run around the back of the houses in Panaga. Dapping a fly using a Japanese "whip" was great fun! Tutong River was another fav as well as the river that cuts across the Labi Road.

Crocs were always seen just upriver of KB. Great fun when I was learning to waterski there..lol.

As for the picture of the fish, yip, thats the ones I was thinking of. We would tie up to the platform (AMPA field normally) and use a Jigging rod and small multiplier and fish small pirks with a couple of feathers/shrimps above them. The fish were great cooked on a BBQ on the beach :).

Looks like Health and Safety may have finally caught up with BSP :(

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #17 on: 11/01/2011 at 13:01 »
Oh, the blank...good price. Cass is off to the US an a few weeks so maybe she will be kind enough to bring one back, I have found them for $398 US from Mudhole, but the Orvis Helios is $311 so in a dilema..lol.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #18 on: 11/01/2011 at 13:19 »
Nice dilemma :z4
having cast both, I'd go for the TCX if you want a 5 wt
it really is a cut above IMHO
once up to 6+ things get a little different
but the heavier TCX do feel a little bit more beefy and I like that
Helios can be a bit girly and the Sage is definatley faster
 pity you can't can't a try of one first :z8

sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #19 on: 11/01/2011 at 15:17 »
I have tried the 5 weight Helios (mid flex and tip) and really liked it (mid more so). I have the 4 and 5 weight Zero Gravity (tip) so dont really need another 5 but you know what its like when you see nice new things :)

I have to say that the Helios does feel a bit "girly" in the 9 weight I have BUT, I have done a few silly things with it, such as casting an 11 weight WF sinking line all day, heavy leadcore shooting heads, played several good Pike very hard on Menteith etc and its done everything I have asked of it...so far..lol.

But I do like Sage :) I may go for an 8 weight as I have a few "salty" conquests on my list this year and a hard punching 8 weight is required for where I am planning to fish.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com