Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Graham Allan

feeding seatrout
« on: 02/01/2011 at 23:43 »
Anyone know what these things are?
Most of he seatrout I caught in the Ythen easturey this summer were stuffed with them . Some Trout had small fish in them but I couldent Identfy them either

they look a bit like sprats though.Tried small shrimpy nymphy flys czech nymphs up stream with no sucsess. anyone know how to imitate these beesties.

cheers Graham

tie-fly

Re: feeding seatrout
« Reply #1 on: 03/01/2011 at 13:12 »
Hi am i on the right site,spining what next.I fish ythan how mutch seatrout do you hit on the head,my annual bag is for 6,but i do not kill them now my choosing.I think a streamers wood be a good fly,tandems as large as 15cm 6in to match the prey fish.Ditch the spining, and stick with the fly it will happen and you will have big smile when the god,s are with you. :z14

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 03/01/2011 at 13:40 »
Graham,
You've probably already seen the Ythan terrors of 'fable', when I was a regular on the Ythan estuary I used bastardised versions of those to some effect.
To be fair, I got a smidgen irritated as I continually caught tiddlers (wee finnock) and there's nothing more irritating/upsetting than catching loads of them that had pretty much swallowed my creations down their throats.
The problem, I surmised, was depth and size of the pattern. I was fishing far too shallow using an intermediate with a fast sinking polyleader and too small with 3-4" terror type flies.
I rectified that but too little too late, I gave up my membership of the Newburgh AC as it was just too far and on occasion too distressing to fish. That said, I managed a few nice fish (to about 6lb) on essentially a Di7 shooting head and the same terror type patterns.
Today my suggestion would be that if you're going to get the better fish on fly (hint: on the estuary head for the mussel beds at the end of Inch Road  :z17) then look at something like a Rio Outbound type 6 matched to a suitable polyleader a short leader and a meaningful streamer/polar fibre creation which must be at least as big as the Sutherland Special I spy on your spinning rig  :wink Think of fishing the flies the same way as you would a Sutherland Special or a Tasmanian Devil and you'll be on the right path  :z16

As to the contents of the stomach you're looking at two common sprats and a very fine collection of shrimp.
I'd concentrate on sprat size patterns  :wink

:z3

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #3 on: 03/01/2011 at 20:52 »
Copepods, almost Krill of a sort, common in a lot of estuaries, there is a fly for it called the pearly, just a pearly mylar body and tail,  :cool: easgach 1

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 03/01/2011 at 21:04 »
Hi "EASGACH 1"
Welcome to the forum :z16

I took Graham's original photo and sharpened it up a tad in photoshop, yes, they do look a lot like krill don't they.

Best wishes
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 04/01/2011 at 10:30 »
I'm not sure that they're copepods which are fairly simple creatures in comparison to what's in the pics; krill are another step above what I think we're looking at in the pics. What we have here is something in-between simple copepods and complex crustacea and having looked more closely to the enhanced picture and gone back to some of my old college notes and books I'd hazard a guess that they're amphipods.
If I were to speculate further I'd say they were a species of mud shrimp probably corophium volutator or the 'wallowing shrimp' which is very common in europe and is especially fond of brackish water conditions. An idea of scale would be handy, but if they're up to about a maximum 1.5cm long then I'd hedge my bets on them being mud shrimp.

:z3

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #6 on: 04/01/2011 at 19:10 »
well done hamish I wondered who would spot that, ampipods they should be, common enough in muddy estuaries seemingly only on the east,  :grin  easgach1

Allan Liddle

« Reply #7 on: 04/01/2011 at 19:14 »
Never knew that and had no idea what these things were other than a shrimp thing  :grin

Cheers Easgach and Hamish

Dryflee

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 05/01/2011 at 09:03 »
Was going to say the copepods I feed my corals and Mandarin fish are no more than 2mm long at best ;)

My tank is full of Amphipods and although they look similer, I would probably go for plain old shrimps as a pattern to tie.

Graham Allan

« Reply #9 on: 12/01/2011 at 21:00 »
Thanks for the great replies guys.
Dryflee ,I chaped 8 on the heed last season and returend about 4 also returend a few finnock.I did have 2 of those on the fly (big blue /White decevers) that I use for bass.I always have the fly rod set up but most of my fish
are on lures.
Hamish has pointed out my lack of sucsess on the fly is due to my fly not geting deep enough Ive been using a salt water intermediate .So looks like I'm in the market for a fast sinker
but I will land a seatrout on a floater and a v heavy shrimp...
Cheers Graham.

tie-fly

« Reply #10 on: 13/01/2011 at 16:06 »
Hi there night crawler .I fish the water at Methlick the haddo house club.The ythan code annual bag limit for sea trout  is 6 up there.So it must not be over the entire river as it said to be.I landed 7 salmon there last season the best 14lb on the fly not all was on the fly only  4 the others was on the garden fly ie the worms.I kept 2 only :z16 mitch

Graham Allan

« Reply #11 on: 18/01/2011 at 17:11 »
Hi Mitch.Not sure about bag limits in the estuary .I didint have any salmon last season but I was only out twice . Prety sure if I had a season ticket for the ugie I would of had a few on the worm....
Glad to see some one else is keeping the highliy skilled art of walking the worm going .Too many people diss the art of the worm these days .
                         Graham

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com