Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

wendy

Where do i get flies from?
« on: 06/02/2007 at 09:16 »
Hi guys i'm off fly fishing on Fri for the first time since i did the programme so lets see if i remember how to do things properly!

So now i have my rod a reel and some excellent line :wink:

Where can i buy the flis from and what do you suggest :?:
also i remember having to use leaders my tackle shop sells nothing for fly fishing so i haven't a clue where to go..

thanks on advance guys :grin:

Hamish Young

« Reply #1 on: 06/02/2007 at 09:30 »
Wendy,
Might be easier to start off with what tackle you do have and go from there. Essentially all you need is probably two or three spools of tippet/leader material say in 8lb 6lb and 4lb b/s - they'll see you through most conditions fine. You don't need a braided loop on the end of the fly line (I hate them on trout fly lines  :mad: ) but get your mitts on a 2 or three foot section of 12lb material and nail knot that to the end of your fly line, you can then blood knot on your tippet.
Any of the mail order companies should serve you well, I'd advise against flurocarbon as a tippet material until you've spent a bit more time fly fishing, so go for soemthing like Drennan subsurface green / soemthing similar.
Flies - what you fishing for and where :?:  Loads of places to buy good quality flies online and if my memory serves from a previous post didn't someone send you some to use :?:

wendy

« Reply #2 on: 06/02/2007 at 09:35 »
Hamish nail knot :?:
this is the place i'm going on Fri
http://www.ellerdinelakes.co.uk/ and yes a friend of mine has sent me some flies but what to use is the question.. they will look after me on Fri when i fish but i need to know for when i go on my own i don't want to be bothering people i want to be able to set up and gop on my own..

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 06/02/2007 at 09:44 »
Quote from: "wendy"
Hamish nail knot :?:

... is not purple  :wink:  this link should help: http://www.animatedknots.com/nailknot/index.php
Quote from: "wendy"

this is the place i'm going on Fri
http://www.ellerdinelakes.co.uk/ and yes a friend of mine has sent me some flies but what to use is the question.. they will look after me on Fri when i fish but i need to know for when i go on my own i don't want to be bothering people i want to be able to set up and gop on my own..

Hmmm tricky. What type of fly lines do you have :?: A lot could depend on temperature (air & water) so it would be useful to have a floater and an intermediate at least. In your case I'd start off with a single fly on a long leader and an intermediate line fished with the good ol' figure of eight retrieve, a small goldhead lure of some kind might be the fly to start with -  maybe a cats whisker. You could move onto nymphs and a goodie everywhere at this time of year is an apps bloodworm :idea:

rooster

Where to get flies
« Reply #4 on: 06/02/2007 at 12:46 »
Try this website, cheap prices and a wide selection with free postage and next day delivery: www.fliesonline.co.uk.

good luck and tight lines.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 06/02/2007 at 14:34 »
Hi Wendy

Don't forget that the fishery manager at Ellerdine will want you to catch fish  :wink:

From their website, I see they have a well stocked tackle shop and a good variety of flies for sale. Have a quick look through the catch returns book and see which flies other folk have been succesful with. Then ask the fishery manager about these and ask which ones he / she would suggest you buy and use on the day. Don't worry if you don't know the names of the flies etc or what they look like ......... a lot of experienced fly fishers don't know them either.

I would expect the fishery manager to suggest about half a dozen patterns  :wink:

Looks like they've got some pretty big trout in there, so don't go too light on the nylon.

Hope this helps
Best wishes
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 06/02/2007 at 16:43 »
Good advice from Mr B.

The fishery boss is usually the best source of info, especially one that knows what he's talking about.
If the lakes have a shop even better, should be able to help you out with tippets and leaders too.
How you fish the flies is more important than the pattern, find out where the fish are getting caught and perhaps what speed people are fishing, most anglers who are catching fish like to tell the fishery boss how they caught the fish as well as what on(infact i would go so far as to say they probably dont fib about technique as much as flies :wink: )

Damsels, black and green lures, mini cats, black buzzers, bloodworms are all good at this time of year. It'll be different to the Highlands , but adapt and you'll have lots of fun.

tightlines and big smiles :z16

Sandy

wendy

« Reply #7 on: 06/02/2007 at 17:04 »
thanks guys i'll let you know how i get on and show the pics  :grin:  :grin:

Dario

« Reply #8 on: 08/02/2007 at 20:51 »
Hi Wendy, once you know what flies you are looking for, this website http://www.selectafly.com/ is very reasonable. You could try it for future outings, tight lines....
Dario :grin:

wendy

« Reply #9 on: 08/02/2007 at 21:01 »
i am off tomorrow fly fishing and so excited i'll let ya all know how i got on! :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 08/02/2007 at 21:52 »
Enjoy yourself, I'm sure you'll have a great day Wendy  :z16

Hamish Young

« Reply #11 on: 08/02/2007 at 22:35 »
Tight lines  :wink:

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 09/02/2007 at 19:34 »
Sooooo ....... How did you get on today then Wendy?  :wink:

Hope you didn't get snowed off the water.

Best wishes
Mike

wendy

« Reply #13 on: 09/02/2007 at 21:37 »
shall i post the pics????????? :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

wendy

« Reply #14 on: 09/02/2007 at 21:38 »

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com