Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

CDC Dubbing
« on: 18/12/2010 at 22:24 »
Thinking about getting some CDC dubbing.

Anyone use it regularly or got an opinion on it?  It looks like the Frankie McPhillips is the most common but at an average cost of £30 for a dispenser I just wonder if it's worth it.

Thanks for any comments

Iain

Mike Barrio

Re: CDC Dubbing
« Reply #1 on: 18/12/2010 at 22:31 »
Hi Iain :z16

Good question ...... I'm considering making some to add to the CDC feathers and was wondering if folk used it?

I might try blending it with something else as I have a few ideas for this :wink

Cheers
Mike

Barry Robertson

« Reply #2 on: 18/12/2010 at 23:01 »
I either use hares mask dyed to suit or mole skin!
Never felt the need for CDC dubbing  :z6

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 19/12/2010 at 10:30 »
I've experimented with CDC dubbing a fair bit and bought a wide range of colours in sample packs off a stand at the first T&S Kelso angling fair, in my book the jury is still out on how useful it is on its own as a dubbing.
On its own I have to say I don't like it much, but where I do like it (and where my best results have come) is when I've finely chopped it up and blended it with other dubbings which don't always have the best floating properties.

For me there are two reasons for adding it to some other dubbings in dry flies:
1. The resulting pattern tends to float very nicely indeed and you can get away with very small amounts of it as an 'additive'.
2. I'm a lazy sod (on occasion) and dislike continually adding floatant, I like my dries to just 'float'  :z7

I've also mixed CDC dubbing into some surface pulling 'loch patterns' and that has worked reasonably well, but hasn't enthused me enough to make reach for it every time I tie.

On dapping flies.... ahh well, that's another story  :wink

:z3

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 20/12/2010 at 23:49 »
Some interesting theories there.

I've tried CDC dubbing (home made) and what i found it good for, was trapping tiny air bubbles :wink
Great for emerger flies and Corixae.
However i prefer to use natural furs for dubbing and you will find Water rat/musk rat is naturally waterproof.
It adds some interesting effects, i too love Mole and Hares ear, but also use squirrel, oppossum, camel and anything else that is nice and soft and or has nice smallish guard hairs, all depends what i want to use it for :z8
varying the density of the fur gives you huge ranges of effects andit is easier to work with.

I'd keep the CDC for spinning :z16 in a twister, legs and crumpled wings :wink Thats what it does best IMHO

Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com